PDA

View Full Version : Clamp kit for a Phase II Rotary Table

cybor462
05-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Ok I know I can make this stuff but really for the pennies it cost it's not worth my time to do it. I would like a clamp set that will work on the 8" Phase II rotary table. The spec on the slot is .4650 the width (top) I am getting an order together and want to find a set that would work. Does anyone have any first hand with one?

I have looked in MSC and Enco but if memory serves me the bottom of the slot is not sized US.
I have both the 1/2 and 3/8 sets and the 3/8 will not fit. Maybe I could get metric T nuts but I have no clue which to get. That may be the way to go get t nuts and use the 3/8 set.
Any help with the metric t nut size?

Wareagle
05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a 10" Phase II RT and had to make T-Nuts to fit the slots. I used the rest of the clamp set with the new T-nuts, and everything works fine.

I think it took about an hour and a half to knock out six nuts, so time wise it's not that bad. I couldn't drive somewhere and pick them up and be home in that amount of time, and besides, there is nothing as satisfying as doing it yourself. :D

cybor462
05-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I agree but I am getting an order together and I have jobs to run and I rather get paid then to waste time on making a $2 item.

J.Ramsey
05-07-2007, 09:10 PM
cyborg 462,Enco part# 407-2437 is what you need,T slot width .4375 x.6875 $1.58 apiece.

pcarpenter
05-08-2007, 10:30 AM
My experience is that you should just buy the hold down kits....worth the price of the studs and clamps at around the $30 mark even if you have to buy t-slot nuts. Its rare that all your machines will fit one of the standard sizes. I have a drill press and bridgeport that share the stock 1/2-13 nuts that came with the set, but if the nuts fit the bridgeport slot by completely filling them, they would not work in the DP.

Likewise, I have one of the smaller 3/8 clamping sets and had to buy nuts to use it on my mini-mill. Turns out, years later, the included nuts look like they will fit the shaper I now own.

In short, buy the nuts you need, but keep the ones that came with it handy.

paul

wschoenbeck
05-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I just bought a clamp kit for my Clausing 8520 (9/16 slot) from Victor Machinery Exchange. $45 for a 52 piece set with a rack. Already used it the day after it came. I'm satisfied with it. But, if you order and are expecting a nice quality machined bunch of parts you will be dissapointed. All the pieces are functional but the finish leaves a lot to be desired. T nuts themselves are very rough. The ends look almost porous... no visible saw or machining marks. I think they were left in the black oxide tank in India for too long. The box was marked India as were some of the other things I ordered.

As I said, Im a satified customer. The clamp kit does it's job. It just aint pretty. YMMV. I got it in good time and I didn't have to spend my time making the bits myself so it's worth it, to me. The t nuts also fit the slots in my Rotex horizontal mill table so it's dual use.

As for the $18.90 6" digital calipers (China) one of them is going back for a flaky display. Reads right if you squeeze it then goes to garbled when released. The other one works fine.

Just a heads up for anyone looking to order.

pcarpenter
05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
As an alternative source for these, I ordered my 3/8 clamping set from Grizzly maybe 8-9 years ago and my 1/2" set from Enco perhaps a year or two ago and both were well finished in spite of being an import. They both had a black oxide finish and were decently machined. Both were around the $32 mark. I did take a wire wheel to the male threads on all the studs however as this makes the nuts spin on nicely which comes in handy while you are holding things in place with one hand :-)

Paul

BobWarfield
05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm another that made my set. It seemed a weird size at the time and I spent less time making it than digging around to find one.

I didn't need a full on clamping set for a rotab, it isn't big enough to need all that. However, I have made one or two special fixtures to help out with it.

Good luck with your new table, they're fun to play with.

Best,

BW

lazlo
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Enco part# 407-2437 is what you need,T slot width .4375 x.6875 $1.58 apiece.

As a heads-up on a good deal, Enco has the TECO (USA Made) T-slots on sale for $1.49 each:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=3905379

I picked up a bunch of these Teco T-Slots last month, and they're really nice. They're very straight and square, which allows them to fill the t-slot a lot closer than the import t-slots. They also have that nice safety-tap feature -- the last thread is truncated so you can't overtighten the bolt into the base of the t-slot.

Here's the Bridgeport T-Slot size on sale for $1.91 each:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=3905383

Your Old Dog
05-09-2007, 07:06 AM
I bought an Enco kit for the mill and find a lot of uses for them. Those adjustable sawtooth wedges are great to work with.