PDA

View Full Version : I hate blue Valenite water soluable!

BigDave
11-26-2001, 11:50 PM
Ok for my new lathe and mill, I got some synthetic Valenite cutting fluid, some blue stuff.

Machines and cools just fine, but the water componant evaporates quite quick, and leave the most foul, sticky corruption everywhere, which chips stick to and is so nasty, you need to get fresh cutting fluid on it to rinse it so you can even wipe things down.

20 years ago I remember tan/vanilla colored water soluable that didn't evaporate quickly and left an oily residue that wasn't sticky and was easy to wipe chips off of.

Any ideas? I have about 4.5 gallons of the Valenite concentrate left I sure don't want-what a waste of $....

Thrud
11-27-2001, 12:02 AM
Big Dave,

Sounds like you used far too much to mix your coolant up. A little goes a very long way. On automatic bandsaws and cnc mills & lathes I have never heard of this happening. It could be reacting to, or have too much tramp oil in it. I would double check with the Valenite rep before going postal on us. ;-)

Dave

BigDave
11-27-2001, 01:51 AM
postal...lol....

I used about a 10% ratio, which was about what was called for.

There is no tramp oil issue because the machine is brand spanking new and the coolant looks perfectly clean.

The water sure does evaporate quick out of it....I could deal with that, it is the stickyness of it all when the water does evaporate off the machine surfaces that drvies me nuts....I like a clean machine or at least one that I can clean easily....

C. Tate
11-27-2001, 08:13 AM
Dave,

You will probably not get rid of this problem. I have used several different coolants in my machines and all will do this. The coolant is designed to do this as a means to protect machine surfaces and parts.

I would say the 10:1 rate is where you should be, most coolants require a dilution rate similar to this for milling and turning. I still say that the sticky stuff is part of using flood coolant it happens with all of them.

[This message has been edited by C. Tate (edited 11-28-2001).]

halfnut
11-27-2001, 10:23 AM
Dave,

We use Cincinatti Millacron fluid, can't remember name of it right now. I mix it 1 to 20-25. Use 16oz cup to 5 gal bucket. It will get sticky if you let coolant stay on machine, not too bad, you can't let this stuff sit on machine or it will. Your 1 to 10 ratio sounds a bit rich, especially for a synthetic.

Our grinding fluid, looks like mountain dew when first mixed then turns green, mixes at 1 to 100 for grinding carbide, I mix it for surface grinder around 1 to 40.

Just sounds a bit rich to me. I still like milk the best myself.

SGW
11-27-2001, 01:18 PM
Hmmm...knowing very little about this, I'd try cutting down the concentration. 10:1 sounds pretty high, based on my limited experience with other coolants. I'm currently using KoolMist 77, at about a 30:1 ratio, and that seems to be plenty. Dunno about the Valenite, but if it's supposed to be sooper dooper synthetic, I would think it could handle that kind of dilution okay.

Are you doing spray mist cooling? If so, maybe you're overdoing the mist level. There should be virtually no visible mist, just the merest trace.

Thrud
11-29-2001, 03:30 AM
If it has a blue tinge of color you most like have way, way too much in the water. Set up for sawing , it is almost clear and leave no residue to speak of. Call or email Valenite or the Dealer you boutght it from for the recommendations for the different metal cutting ops. A refactometer can be used (1-30%), but it is not really needed in the home shop with the small sumps we use (KISS).

Dave

C. Tate
11-30-2001, 11:02 AM
Dave,

I have a Valenite tech manual I found this morning you can have it if you want. Email address and I will mail it no charge. This has mix rates and application guides for all of their coolants.

artificer in metal
12-01-2001, 09:17 AM
When I spent all day (for over a year!) on a saw I got to fiddle with coolant a lot!. the recommended solution for Cimcool was a 7% solution. I found that when tapping in aluminum that a 20% solution gave a much better surface finish (I was using a tapping head in a drill press!). I have also seen about 2% solutions when the cooling aspect was the most desired. We use a Kutwell 45, sold by Esso (in Canada) at work. The coolant ratios are very dependant on what it is you are trying to do - lubricate or cool - and in what proportion. Experimentation works for me!

spope14
12-03-2001, 08:16 PM
The white stuff is Mobilmet coolant, I believe s112, but it also leaves a brown corruption on the machine if not cleaned properly. I really love the blue Trimsol, mixed right. Does not smell like a dead dog in six months after mixing (20:1). Has held up in my CNC Mill for two years. Does not beat up coolant pumps either.

Mobilmet gets rancid in a short time.

The blue valenite, tried this i believe, synthetic????? It beat the living heck out of my aluminum coolant pump body when not run for two months, and it was mixed 20:1. Got it as a gimmee, makes me more careful for future gimmees.