PDA

View Full Version : Another project complete (gate 2)

Evan
05-10-2007, 10:49 PM
This is a simple and utilitarian rancher style iron gate for the new yard fence I put up to keep the deer out and the Beardog in. Quick project, I started it yesterday afternoon. I made all the parts including the spring latch and the hinges. The outer frame is bought material, the verticals are scrap thinwall shipping frame pieces. For that reason most of it is gas welded as I don't have a wire feed welder or TIG. I would have been done quicker but I also had chores to do.

Note that the grass and the leaves on the shrubs are only just beginning to come out now. In another month everything will be well greened up.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/gateb1.jpg

Here is detail of the spring latch. I haven't seen one in many years so I just designed my own. Works perfectly.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/gateb2.jpg

Hinges are made by welding some bolts together with washers.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/gateb3.jpg

Closeup of fit and finish.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/gateb4.jpg

The latch striker is case hardened to prevent wear.

MTNGUN
05-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Great work, as usual, Evan.

Evan
05-11-2007, 03:53 AM
The Beardog was quick to grasp the implications of the gate. I previously had wire in the place of the gate. When she saw the gate and the fact that it opened thus providing a possible means of escape she did a quick check on my calculations. She came up to the gate and in rapid succession placed her head into the gap between each pair of bars, checking the fit.

Your Old Dog
05-11-2007, 05:52 AM
The Beardog was quick to grasp the implications of the gate. I previously had wire in the place of the gate. When she saw the gate and the fact that it opened thus providing a possible means of escape she did a quick check on my calculations. She came up to the gate and in rapid succession placed her head into the gap between each pair of bars, checking the fit.

Bear Dog reminds me of my Black lab. We had just bought a house and the dog was seeing the property for the first time. He notices the neighbors house out behind the new house and takes off like a rocket. He didn't stop till he hit the fencing wire (just like yours) and bounced off of it. He forgot about the other dog for a minute and gave the fence a good looking over! Unlike your fence this one only had a few post and they were conventional metal T stock so they bent when he landed in the fence like a fishnet! As I used to tell him all the time, "he was just a fairly good dog" but he knew I was kidding and what I really thought of him.

rws
05-11-2007, 07:25 AM
I bet your dog will figure out the spring latch!

Evan
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I bet your dog will figure out the spring latch!

I would normally agree. But, for some reason she is extremely reluctant to open doors even if they are already open a crack. She knows how but at most may give it a tiny nudge with her muzzle to see if it moves. She is also not a digger but I put the cedar board under the gate anyway just to make sure.

wierdscience
05-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I would normally agree. But, for some reason she is extremely reluctant to open doors even if they are already open a crack. She knows how but at most may give it a tiny nudge with her muzzle to see if it moves. She is also not a digger but I put the cedar board under the gate anyway just to make sure.

Nice gate,reminds me of what I have to do this coming week.

The gate/door thing must be a dog thing.Every dog I have owned did the exact same thing,I always had to open the door since they wouldn't push on through even on command.My current dog does the same.

I believe this lends credit to the statement-"from dogs humans get loyalty and companionship,from humans dogs get opposable thumbs":D

BobWarfield
05-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Our standard Schnauzer has no problems opening doors. She'll reach up with paws and turn the knob or even easier depress a lever. We had to start locking any door we didn't want her going through.

"From dogs humans get loyalty and companionship..."

She's loyal by her sights, but then she is a Terrier with a bit different attitude than say a Lab. She's a little less interested in pleasing and more interested in getting her way.

Fortunately, she's not the alpha dog around here yet! LOL

Nice gate, Evan. I took a blacksmith course and made a bunch of that sort of thing. Very relaxing. We used a forge rather than a tubing bender, but the results were very similar.

Best,

BW

Dawai
05-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Nice gate.

Green and extremly high pollen here. Mowing once a week here now.. two days, and it could be mowed again if I was picky.

My crazy new pup, he is jealous of the motorcycle, grabs the front wheel. I am so afraid he'll dissasemble it. He is no alpha dog like butch was thou.

WHAT kinda gas welder you using? harris aircraft? henrob? cutting torch?
The new tig, (year old now) is kicking.. a pretty good investment so far thou it has not made me any money. I have improved my skills so I can say I can tig.

Evan
05-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I have a Victor set I bought many years ago. I have several regular torch tips, a cutting torch and a rosebud. I have a real good set of goggles with a flip up filter and cheater lenses installed. I just bought some much bigger tanks from my wife with a part of my tax return. Sure is nice to have lots of gas. :D

topct
05-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Evan, you really should consider a wire feed at least?

Something tells me you are.... nevermind.

Evan
05-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Not many people gas welding anymore. I can gas weld almost as fast as arc. The trick is using enough heat. Instead of heating up the entire area you dump in enough heat to just melt the weld zone. This works because steel is a lousy heat conductor. The main limit is that if the flame is too high it will blow the puddle around. This can be used to advantage if it isn't too strong and some of the welds require no rod.

Here is some gas welding on thinwall tubing (bars on my computer room):

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/weld4.jpg

BadDog
05-11-2007, 10:18 PM
It can also be convenient for out of position welding and welding fatigue cracks since it tends to anneal the work hardened steel. For instance, this is the best way to repair an automotive door where a sticky hinge or out of adjustment striker have broken out the bulkhead. I used to love gas welding, but it's been many years since I did more than cut with O/A. GMAW is just so effortless that it has made me lazy...

BobC
05-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Wish I could gas weld like that. I can do fairly well with arc but have never been able to do much with acetylene.

BobWarfield
05-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Had to learn gas welding before Tig in my welding class. They're very similar, except Tig is harder--LOL.

I enjoyed gas welding. Very relaxing. There is tremendous value in having a gas set around. Highly recommended!

Best,

BW

japcas
05-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Looks real good Evan. What size tip do you use when welding up the thin stuff like that? I figure it would be small but sometimes I have a problem with trying to work with not enough heat and I end up getting frustrated.

Evan
05-12-2007, 08:25 AM
I use a #2 set close to maximum. Keep the tip clean. If you don't have a set of tip cleaners you need some. Set the flame rich with a half inch feather, the excess acetylene makes sure all the oxygen is consumed and also acts as shielding gas to prevent oxidizing the metal.

Dawai
05-12-2007, 08:25 AM
The henrob or DIllion 2000, it has this tiny flame, runs a few pounds of oxygen and air. I first saw that flame about a inch long I said that'll never work. To my amazement the sparks started flying off the steel, the puddle started flowing and away it went. Be forewarned most regulators won't turn down low enough and regulate for them.

My eyes were bothering me the last time I used it. Mikey enjoyed it so much he had to buy one.

Most real hotrod shops, they don't even use filler rod, just lay parts over one another, cut with plasma, then as they are welding, the metals stretches and flows together, no big bead, no lotta grind work.

If I had played with the henrob before I bought the tig, well.. I'd waited a while longer. THOU the synchrowave is great, does a great job, I could have gotten by without it a few more years.

NOW cutting, the henrob can cut like a plasma, but only if you get the metal hot enough, it is more like a oxygen lance than regular cutter rig. It will blow out a paper thin crack of metal. MY gripe about it? Kinda pricy, lots of things in the kit box they charge you for. BUT, it is a well made product and getting all you need saves you later.. I burned my beard off cutting some angle, it was not hot enough and the 90 turned the sparks and pops right into my face.

HE sells some blue tint goggles.. them allow welding of aluminum, kinda amazing since you can see what you are doing.

More people should learn oxy-acetyelene welding, all welding is similar, it is all about the puddle. Methods of making a puddle are different.

I started out with a harris torch, seems it was a microjet.. I can't remember what happened to it.

Evan
05-12-2007, 08:36 AM
The first torch I had was an acetylene/air Prestolite. Once I tried using it to run a mini-bike, the ones with the fat little tires and a Briggs engine. I just stuck the torch tip in the carb and adjusted the gas flow. It ran fine. I didn't run it long enough to hurt anything but it started really easy. Acetylene has a huge range of combustible mixtures compared to gasoline.