PDA

View Full Version : 6" Rotab from the Griz on sale?

DICKEYBIRD
05-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm lusting after a rotary table for my X-3 and ran across this one in their summer sale flyer http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7527 Comes with tailstock, dividing plates & clamp kit and mounts horiz. or vert. Does anyone actually have one of these? I downloaded the manual and it looks to be a pretty good deal if it's decent quality. Is 6" a usable size for an X-3 mill?

This is for hobby use and my Father's Day budget is limited. I hope I can swing it with the "War Department." :)

wierdscience
05-19-2007, 09:11 AM
I have an 8" that's very similar,nice little units and the 6" should fit on your X3.They look to be the typical China copy of a Yausa.

The ones to shy away from are the India made B-port clones,they have a really cheap price,but are junk right out the box.

oldtiffie
05-19-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm lusting after a rotary table for my X-3 and ran across this one in their summer sale flyer http://www.grizzly.com/products/h7527 Comes with tailstock, dividing plates & clamp kit and mounts horiz. or vert. Does anyone actually have one of these? I downloaded the manual and it looks to be a pretty good deal if it's decent quality. Is 6" a usable size for an X-3 mill?

This is for hobby use and my Father's Day budget is limited. I hope I can swing it with the "War Department." :)

Hi dickeybird.

Yep - got one of those - and provided you use small work and a small chuck (80mm - 100mm max) and are careful with clamping, you'll do OK. It is smooth, reliable, robust and dead accurate.

Marv Klotz has a utility for dividing head plates that is much better than the set of tables that comes with the rotab - and it uses the holes on your indexing plates on your rotab at: http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/

Just one caution though - when you use it in the vertical position the rotab will be on the right with the handle on the top facing you (very good) and the tail-stock on the left which should/maybe OK on the mill. But - you'll have a problem if you want to use it in the vertical position on a lathe (with the rotab on the right with the cutter in the head-stock chuck) unless you mount it on an angle plate, but even then the handle will be on top facing the back of the lathe which is a PIA.

It worked very well on my lathe, but I only used it in the "flat/horizontal" position as my lathe has a (vertical) mill/drill attached to it.

I had more ambitions and bought a decent vertical mill later and bought a 250mm (10") Rotab from the same maker and am very happy with that too.

Note the weights though:
6" (150mm) = 14Kg (30 lb) - easy
8" (200mm) = 29Kg (64 lb) - OK
10" (250mm) = 43Kg (95 lb) - bl**dy heavy and awkward - needs a hoist.

Would it be worth trying your luck (life??) with the "War Department" (and your pocket) for a 8" (200mm) rotab? It will certainly widen your capabilities.

So as some one who has 2 from the same maker I can say that you can be very confident that it will do the job.

TECHSHOP
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
The end of last year I was upstate at the Griz store, I recall looking at them, but I passed for some reason, I don't know if it was the tool, the lack of cash, or space on the truck. It was at the end of the day there, so I may have just "vapor locked" in my choice and walked out. I also recall that some of rotary tables were Vertex (sp? the "hawk" logo), and looked nice. But I am drawing a blank on this one, was going to go look today, but got diverted into protecting "Studio G".

oldtiffie
05-20-2007, 01:43 AM
The end of last year I was upstate at the Griz store, I recall looking at them, but I passed for some reason, I don't know if it was the tool, the lack of cash, or space on the truck. It was at the end of the day there, so I may have just "vapor locked" in my choice and walked out. I also recall that some of rotary tables were Vertex (sp? the "hawk" logo), and looked nice. But I am drawing a blank on this one, was going to go look today, but got diverted into protecting "Studio G".

Yes Techshop, the Hawk seems identical to my "Vertex" (re-badged).

Check the catalogue page from my supplier in Australia:
http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/Catalogues/Metalworking/27.html

I hope this helps.