PDA

View Full Version : Stands for my sanders

lane
05-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Using some pipe from scrap yard. and some old disk brake rotors for the base. with a few pieces of plate I made some quick and dirty stands vto put my sanders on.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/sanderstand010.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/disksanderstand011.jpg
Hope yall like .

Dee
05-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Looks great, thank you. Do you have by chance any pic's of the belt sander,
That is a great looking tool.
Dee

oldtiffie
05-20-2007, 10:04 PM
A very creative use of resources.

I've use old brake disks for several jobs but was hesitant about welding them as you have on your base.

My reasons? Because it is a casting.

But I guess you have answered that as the weld looks good - so i guess it is a weldable grade of cast steel.

Any problems? I'd appreciate the advice from one who has "been there and done that" - and very well too.

I'll make a point of digging a few more out of the scrap bin at my local Service Garage.

Many thanks.

lane
05-20-2007, 10:28 PM
NO they are not welded .But bolted on to a 8 inch dia. disk that the pipe is welded to . I used the studs what the wheel bolts to . 5 hole bolt pattern. . Dont know what they were off of but thick and heavy. Big truck i thank. Look close you can see the bolts.
Check some past post a month or 2 ago. I posted some picthures of the belt sanders . I got some plande from one of our members Bill Pace . Look up belt sanders in search .

oldtiffie
05-21-2007, 05:41 AM
NO they are not welded .But bolted on to a 8 inch dia. disk that the pipe is welded to . I used the studs what the wheel bolts to . 5 hole bolt pattern. . Dont know what they were off of but thick and heavy. Big truck i thank. Look close you can see the bolts.
Check some past post a month or 2 ago. I posted some picthures of the belt sanders . I got some plande from one of our members Bill Pace . Look up belt sanders in search .

Thanks Lane - obliged for the info. On looking closer I can make the bolts out in the pics.

I will persevere and try the disks for welding just for interest. They also make handy "sacraficial" plates as well.

I machined (turned) one all over and use it to tram my mill - works fine - beats the "interrupted" (over table T-slots) or 1-2-3 block methods hands down. While I was at it, I surface ground the top face as a check to see how my lathe was going for flat and square in cross-feed mode - it was "spot on".

To counter the possibility (probability) of "dings" or anything else on the mill table, I have fitted 3 equi-spaced M6 bolts with "pointed" ends to the disk. The pointed ends bear on the table and I use the 3 bolts with a depth micrometer to set one of the top faces of the disc parallel to the table. The method is dead simple. The same as setting the alidade plate on a theodolite or a "dumpy" level.

I had a look at your web site and was awe-struck. I was a bit "shaky" after reading the threads on this BBS but after seeing your site I am somewhere between overwhelmed and crushed.

Bill Pace
05-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Dee,--- and anybody else interested, heres the link to the thread on the little 2x42 belt sander a while back. And yes, I,ve still got copies of the plans (Thanks again, George!).........just a few days ago a member emailed for a copy.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=23230&highlight=2x42+sander