PDA

View Full Version : Info on ASH(?) rotary table?

sidegrinder
05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Can anyone shed some light on the make of this rotary table? I believe it says ASH Made in Japan on the tag. This is amongst some tooling I'm buying, so I don't have it in hand to look over more closely. A search of my usual sources (google/ebay) hasn't turned up any info. Almost all of this tooling is decent quality, so I would be a little surprised if this turned out to be a no name. Thanks in advance for any info. SG

<http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/ashrt-1.jpg>

Your Old Dog
05-21-2007, 06:01 AM
looks more like dsh to me then ash.....

It "may" say made in germany under that.....

JCHannum
05-21-2007, 07:22 AM
What little I can see of the table very closely resembles my NEWS tanle. NEWS was made in Japan and was the predecessor of YUASA. If so it is of very good quality.

ASH was an importer of tools and tooling comparable to ENCO and Ralmike. Prior to the influx of chicom tools, they provided good quality imported tools under their lable.

sidegrinder
05-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the info!

Rich Carlstedt
05-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I am in total agreement with gentleman Jim !
I also have a NEWS 12 inch rotary table and
it looks exactly like the picture..
I's a nice table!
I was advised when I purchased it new in 1984
that it came from the Yuasa Factory..
Crate was stamped "made in 1974" so I got a good deal.

The tables came in several ratios
90 to 1 ratio (4 degs per hand rev)
80 to 1 ratio (4 1/2 degs per rev)
and maybe a 120 to 1 ( 3 degs per rev)

Rich

Alistair Hosie
05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
That's a nice Rotary Table a bit too big for my mill but looks good cant help with the name sorry.Alistair

Scishopguy
05-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I remember that company. They had a mailorder setup like Enco and were out of Tampa Fla. I even bought some tools from them. They went out of business some time around 1979. They just dissappeared off the face of the planet. Too bad, they had good quality tools and were nice to deal with.

lane
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I had one years ago and ash . It is a direct copy of the News brand made in Japan common in the 70` Whole sale tool use to sell them in the 70`.They are a good table. Better than chineese stuff to day.

oldtiffie
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
I had one years ago and ash . It is a direct copy of the News brand made in Japan common in the 70` Whole sale tool use to sell them in the 70`.They are a good table. Better than chineese stuff to day.

Well Lane,
be that as it may.

I can only say that I have 2 "Vertex" (yep - "Chicom") rotary tables - a 6" and a 8" - both less that 2 years old.

The 6" item is second down top left and the 8" "Super Indexer" is on the bottom left of the catalogue page at:
http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/Catalogues/Metalworking/27.html

I have got the dividing plates and tail-stocks for both as well as the indexing plates for the 8" item.

These may well be the exception to the rule as expressed (all too) often on this HSM forum. I can accept that.

But even though I use mine rarely and in a non-commercial/productive environment (a lot of caveats and qualifiers there, I know - but!!).

I admit that as is often the case there were several relatively minor "glitches" the needed to be and were "fixed" (by me). After that they are first class in the uses I put them to. The 8" 3-jaw chuck (removable jaws in 2 parts) and set of rapid indexing plates are really good and much better than I expected - but the DTI (0.01mm = 0.0004") on the tables and turning them barely shows a deflection. Repeatability is excellent as is the concentricity of the MT3 bore.

I'd have preferred to have the verniers calibrated to 0.01 deg or better rather to 5 seconds of arc as is the case. It only requires a conversion to and from decimal degrees which is simple but it involves another process (conversion) and piece of equipment (calculator) but I suppose I'm getting a bit "picky" here.

The place of origin is not important or relevant to me but cost and performance are.

The Chinese have lifted their game and are perhaps following the Japanese path/model as regards product and quality. They have gone a long way and have along way to go yet. They are no Toyota, Mitutoyo or the like and may never be - who knows.

And no, we don't make this sort of equipment in Australia - so far as I know - and I have asked!!