View Full Version : OT- "plastics" question

05-21-2007, 04:51 PM

I want to make a cover for the end of my telescope tube. I have seen one design I like. It is black, flexible and looks/feels like thick vinyl. It appears to have been molded onto the end of the tube (19.25" OD) with a heat gun I suspect. IIRC, it was about 1/8" thick.

Does anyone know the name of the material used ?
The owner of it did not know the name of the material.


05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I have used what I believe is a similar material called Kydex. Used for knife sheaths and some holsters, it will mold with a heat gun, carefully. It comes in different thicknesses and has a textured surface. Try a knifemaker's supply or possibly a local plastics company (I got about a 12" square at a local plastics shop).