PDA

View Full Version : OD grinder on Ebay

Rotate
04-23-2003, 11:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11805&item=2525142751&rd=1

Can this be used effectively for OD grinding on the lathe? I'm interested in bidding but I don't want to end up with another junk collecting dust in my garage. Thanks.

Albert

gamachinist
04-24-2003, 12:15 AM
I don't see any reason you can't take the angled wheel off and put a straight or cup wheel on it and grind O D's or faces.The bearings should handle side load and thrust okay as it was designed for both loads.You could probably sell the seat grinding stuff in eBay motors and recoup some of the expense.If it didn't work out,relist it or go to the bidder you beat and offer it to him.If I had found it first I might have bid on it myself.Good luck,Robert.

Thrud
04-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Albert
It is a tool post grinder anyway, so that should not be a problem. The spindle is the big thing - the heart of the grinder & most expensive part. I would put a smaller TEFC motor on it if you want to wet grind with coolant. With an adapter you should also be able to grind internally as well.

JCHannum
04-24-2003, 03:01 AM
It will work OK. I don't see anything about size to relate it to a lathe, but will probably fit smaller ones.
I have seen several real toolpost grinders go for relatively low prices. You might not want to spend too much for something that will need adapting when a decent Dumore or Themac may be had for not much more money.

chief
04-24-2003, 04:41 AM
Unless you want to make alot fixtures and gadgets to get this thing to work don't buy it. It's part of an old automotive valve grinder. This thing sat vertical and ran up and down on a leadscrew. Go to metal lathe accessories.com and buy the casting kit, it makea great little toolpost grinder

Bill Cook
04-24-2003, 05:45 AM
As mentioned above, it is a toolpost grinder.
The seat grinding stones don't work with it. They require a seperate hand held driver and a dresser.

bc, Skytop Garage

Rotate
04-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the feedback folks!

Albert