PDA

View Full Version : Small Spring Problem

BigBoy1
05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
For my project I need some small compression springs. They need to be no larger than 1/16" in dia. and 1/4 to 3/8" long. I have been searching MSC, McMaster, Brownells, etc. but they do not carry springs that small.

I did a web search and found several companies the could supply small compression springs with a diameter of 0.057" which would perfect for my need, but the prices are OUTRAGOUS!!! One company wanted $35 each. Another one said that they were $5 each and a $25 small order fee would be added to the order. If I bought in a minium quanity of 1,000 they would be $0.37 each. Several other companies I sent e-mails to, never repiled.

I only need about 8 or 10 for the project. Does anyone know where I can find a the few springs I need at a reasonable price? Thanks.

Bill

Swarf&Sparks
05-30-2007, 11:22 AM
google "music wire"
set up a mandrel in the lathe chuck and wind away in back gear

SGW
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
You may want to think about "borrowing" springs from some kind of product. I know I've seen springs that small, in something, but offhand I can't remember what.

Swarf&Sparks may have the most realistic answer: wind your own from music wire. It would take some experimentation, and they won't be as good as commercial springs, but they may be good enough.

In brief, the routine is to set up the lathe with a TPI to give the coil spacing you want in the spring, then wind the music wire onto a mandrel. I've never had the nerve to do it under power; I turn the spindle by hand. Since you're winding tempered wire there will be some spring-back when you release tension, so the mandrel has to be somewhat undersize. How much undersize is determined by experiment.

Bill in Ky
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
I, like my dad before me am a scrounger, my first thought was a valve core spring. Cut to length. I use those and the flint spring from a disposable lighter alot.

dp
05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Can you adapt springs from ball point pens?

J.Ramsey
05-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Try the local gunsmith,lot's of small springs in the trigger assembly's.

ERBenoit
05-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I did a web search and found several companies the could supply small compression springs with a diameter of 0.057" which would perfect for my need, but the prices are OUTRAGOUS!!! One company wanted $35 each. Another one said that they were $5 each and a $25 small order fee would be added to the order. If I bought in a minium quanity of 1,000 they would be $0.37 each. Several other companies I sent e-mails to, never repiled.

Small springs, small quantities at small prices, this page has your .057" Dia. and 1/4"-3/8" length requirements:

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/g26.cfm

SherpaDoug
05-30-2007, 12:48 PM
How about the spring in the pins that hold the watchband to a wristwatch? I imagine most of us have a few dead watches around. Pull out the pins and see if the springs will work.

SherpaDoug

BigBoy1
05-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I checked out the website provided and they have what I want and at a price I can live with. Thanks a bunch for the help!!!

Bill

cmiller231
05-30-2007, 01:05 PM
I believe i 've seen them in telescoping gages.Don't know if they are .057 or not. Chris

Bill Pace
05-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Big Boy, be sure and request a catalog while youre at it --- Small Parts is one you need in the catalog stack, got lots of odd/unusual stuff........

oldtiffie
05-30-2007, 02:57 PM
An electrician friend of mine in the Navy used to put just bout everything apart an put them in his several - as he called them - "$hit hot" boxes - screws, springs, nut, bolts, screws - you name it, it went into that $hit-hot box. And you would not believe how often those boxes saved the day and somebodies skin.

And how often have you wanted a part that you've ben saving for years and tossed out 2 days ago?

I have kept up the "box" practice in small way - and quite often it works. But some go to extremes to the point where the cache is so large that you know its in there but damned if you can find it.

Reason for name: people shouted "$hit hot" when they found that elusive or missing part. You can guess what they said when they didn't.

Fasttrack
05-30-2007, 07:55 PM
"And how often have you wanted a part that you've ben saving for years and tossed out 2 days ago?"

LOL

I very rarely throw stuff away. Every now and then i get in a dangerous funk and go through the garage throwing stuff away and cleaning up. BAD IDEA. The next day the garage looks so clean and inviting that i start working on a new project and hey i need that whatchamacallit in the old shoe box ... that i threw away yesterday... dang... :D :D

ptjw7uk
05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
And how many times have you found 3 of something that you must have 4 off.
Boxes or tins of salvaged parts are very useful, I wouldnt be without em but its nice to get the correct parts for that special job - thats why this forum is so useful - so many knowledgably people in so many diverse fields that the knowledges is always on tap (if not always on the same continent)
Peter

Ernie
05-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Next time you need small springs you could try the springs in lock cylinders. The springs that push the pins in towards the key are about .115 in. dia. and some are made of brass or bronze to prevent rust.
Ernie

Lew Hartswick
05-30-2007, 10:47 PM
My first thought was the slide latch spring on a High Standard
Supermatic Citation. It is just about that size. (never measured it)
...lew...

David Rose
05-31-2007, 02:19 AM
You've missed them somewhere in Brownell's. Their online search engine is horrid, but they carry them. Also, find someone who smokes. I think the BIC lighter flint spring is close to that. One of the BIC springs is about 1/8". The other is smaller. Yeah, I never throw away a spring or something with one in it. :eek:

David

darryl
05-31-2007, 02:31 AM
The print head in an old dot matrix printer has springs in it about that size. Some more modern printers have springs about that size in the paper control path-I've seen them holding those little rollers. They might be a little long, but that's a lot easier to deal with than too large a diameter.

Sounds like you have found a source, and at least that is repeatable.