PDA

View Full Version : Toolpost - Height Adjustments

jfsmith
04-24-2003, 03:05 PM
I am building a tool post and was wondering iuf any one had a good method for height adjustments, or should I tap a hole and use a bolt to do that?

Jerry

Dr. Rob
04-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Oh, come on- Get with the program. Use the same high-tech stuff as the rest of us. Washers, shims, nuts, paper, cigarette butts, this piece of swarf, strategic hope...

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

SGW
04-24-2003, 06:34 PM
If you're doing an "Aloris type" with removzble toolholders, the bolt and locking nut approach seems to be the way to go, although the FIMS brand of toolpost does it slightly differently...can't remember offhand just what it is, but know it is supposed to be "better." Somehow.

If you do go the shim route, if you organize things it's not too bad. Have stacks of 10, 5, and 2 thou shims (or whatever seems reasonable) so you can easily and logically make up the height you want. Then have a handy place to store them when you're not using them!

CCWKen
04-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Yea, one of mine takes .007 to shim up to center. I keep a couple of those automotive "handy packs" around for just such things.

Dave Opincarne
04-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Just thinking out loud, but what about a cam running through the main body instead of a threaded nut. Any advantages?

-Dave

jfsmith
04-24-2003, 07:05 PM
I was wondering about using a cam and a spring for the riser.

Jerry

Thrud
04-25-2003, 12:00 AM
Jerry

Being lazy, I shim only the toolpost - since all my tools are exactly the same height (for the "quad post").

Best way with the quick change is an adjusting screw and lock nut - this is the way most commercial posts are configured.

jfsmith
04-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Thrud,
I was thinking of that also, this has been a learning experience for me.

Jerry

Thrud
04-26-2003, 06:14 AM
Jerry

I have hard brass circular shims (like a fenderwasher) for each of my goofy tool blocks - you must make sure all is clean with no chips in the way (same rule with inserts) before securing the post.

There is always more than one way to do a job - figure out what is best for you. I like my method because I don't have to have shim packs that just get in the way or disappear when you are not watching the little buggers (I swear they have legs). http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif