X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quasi
    • Jun 2003

small TOS lathe

anyone ever seen a small TOS lathe like this before?

• matador
    • Jul 2003

The evil spray painter has been at it again,I see.Other than that it looks like quite a nice lathe.The only TOS lathe I've ever seen was about 4 times the size of this one.
    Hans

Comment

• John Stevenson
      • Mar 2001

Looks an old model by the design of the saddle and tailstock.
      Doesn't have the current European look about the speed change and screw cutting knobs.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• lane
        • Aug 2005

Dont know any thing about it .But it looks good to me think it would be nice hobby shop lathe.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• John Stevenson
          • Mar 2001

I have got three Eastern Bloc lathes, two TOS and one no make.
          They are built like brick $hithouses and you could air drop one on Bosnia and still hold 2 tenths.

The no name one, official designation HS1020, unofficial designation, Ivan the Terrible is very well designed.
          The 1020 stands for 10" swing and 20" between centres, about the same size as a South Bend but this puppy weighs 2 tonnes

The bed and cabinet are one solid casting. It has a 4-1/2 Hp 3~ motor in the base driving a 24 speed preselector gearbox that drives the spindle via 3 B section belts.
          When you switch it on in a morning, nothing happens for about 25 seconds, then you hear a click and it will start.
          It's delayed to allow the oil pump to pump oil around all the headstock bearings first.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• rake60
            • Oct 2006

That's a nice looking little lathe!
            I ran a TOS SK16 Vertical Boring Mill that was manufactured in 1973 for 17 years.
            We used to say it was a cruel Cold War joke on us by Czechoslovakia.
            Truth is it was a rugged simple design that WORKED 6 days a week for 30 years.
            Home Model Engine Machinist

Comment

• motorworks
              • May 2002

true

"I have got three Eastern Bloc lathes, two TOS and one no make.
              They are built like brick $hithouses and you could air drop one on Bosnia and still hold 2 tenths"

I have a TOS, LION, and something that was built 'like a brick-****ter' made in Hungray.
              As Sir John says: These machines are great.
              I converted the Hungarian one to cnc. 11 x 33 and man can she blow chips.

Those east block guys sure know how to build them
              please visit my webpage:
              http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

• quasi
                • Jun 2003

I have run a 20" TOS lathe and had a TOS fnk25 ram- turret mill for a few years. They are very heavy duty machines. This little lathe is almost graceful by comparison.

Comment

• wierdscience
                  • Jan 2003

I ran a TOS 18x70 lathe,good sound machine lots of cast iron.The TOS chucks I don't like,they suck,but the lathes are great.Beware of bastard electrical devices thou.One I ran popped a control fuse that was near impossible to find here,changed out the whole block for something a lot less exotic.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Mark Hockett
                    • Apr 2001

A friend of mine has one of those TOS lathes. He loves it, the only thing he would trade it for is a Monarch 10EE. They seem to be very well built lathes.
                    Mark Hockett

Comment

• JCHannum
                      • Nov 2001

It looks like a very solid machine. Why do they feel compelled to slobber grey paint on everything? I would not have a problem spending the same money on a machine that shows honest use, and would prefer to clean and paint it myself.

Judging by the motor, it is 40's or 50's vintage, but origin makes 60's believable. Replacement could be problematic if needed.

It is a shame it did not sell, if it is in decent condition, it is well worth $1000, considering the tooling included. Inch/metric could be an issue, as it could be metric.
                      Jim H.

Comment

• mark61
                        • Nov 2002

TOS lathe

Sorry for the lame question but what does "TOS" stand for?

mark61

Comment

• Swarf&Sparks
                          • Oct 2004

Dunno what TOS stands for, but I suspect it would be something unpronounceable. I believe they are a Czech company.

My only experience with TOS is their chucks. Nice equipment.

My only experience with Czech was a GF a coupla years ago, Polish, spent years in Czech, then moved to Oz (and I thought I was confused!)

That's a nice solid looking little lathe. I just wonder why no suds/chip tray.
                          Just got my head together
                          now my body's falling apart

Comment

• rkepler
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                            Dunno what TOS stands for, but I suspect it would be something unpronounceable. I believe they are a Czech company.
                            TOS was the Czech national cooperative under Soviet control, managing all the machine tool production. In deSovietization the different plants got out of the centralized control, but many continue to use the TOS name in one form or another - Toshulin is a vertical lathe maker, TOS Kurim, etc. If there's a maker's plate with the city name the original plant could be found and spares might be obtained. If no plate can be found perhaps contacting the Machine Tool Manufacturer's Association at http://www.sst.cz would get some help.

Comment

Working...
                            X