PDA

View Full Version : x39's TIG welding advice...

x39
04-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Don't mix your stainless rods with your aluminum rods... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

docsteve66
04-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Another man sacrifices his reputation for the good of all! Is there more to the story?
Steve

Kerry.S
04-25-2003, 08:16 PM
I did that once. welding aluminum and grabed a stainless rod. that stuff don't like to mix
Kerry

JCHannum
04-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Don't mix sparklers with welding electrodes.

wierdscience
04-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Had a guy at work kept wondering why he couldn't weld aluminun with the wire gun,checked out the machine,checked out the gas,found the stainless weld wire!

x39
04-25-2003, 09:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by docsteve66:
Is there more to the story?
Steve</font>

Only that it took me almost half an hour to figure out why I was getting this horrible looking bead and my tungsten kept burning up! Checked amperage setting, argon flow, changed torch cups, changed tungsten types...Lesson: never overlook the obvious.

[This message has been edited by x39 (edited 04-25-2003).]

ibewgypsie
04-26-2003, 12:24 AM
And NEVER put dynamite in the road flare pouch in your road kit. (wile E coyote).

Normally I can tell the difference in aluminum and stainless by feel.

I did know a mean drunk that cleared a bar by throwing a road flare in with a lit fuse on the nail.

Thrud
04-26-2003, 05:03 AM
ibewgypsie:
I can rub Aluminum between my fingers and tell it is Aluminum by the smell. Can't do it for week after eating chili - I don't light matches then either! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

x39
04-26-2003, 09:29 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
[B]

Normally I can tell the difference in aluminum and stainless by feel.

B]</font>

Well, I guess bad lighting and gloves got me there. Usually when I pull a fresh rod, I'll loop the end of it so I don't poke myself in the eye with it, but I didn't this time. Had I done that, I'd have noticed right away of course.

Hellbender
04-26-2003, 09:40 AM
Sounds like forgetting to turn the gas on for the MIG......I do that at least 1 time in 5......
And what's really bad is, I always mess with the wire feed and check the heat BEFORE I think to open it up. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

------------------
NRA Lifetime Member

BC21OSH
04-26-2003, 03:40 PM
X man,

Thought maybe you had stored them together and when you went to use them all you had was a handfull of white metal powder. Corrosion from dissimilar metals can raise hell in the shop.

Bernard

steve schaeffer
04-26-2003, 04:01 PM
x,
i have been there., now i make sure the rod is pliable beforehand. but something good came out of your post, at least for me. i like your idea of looping the end of the filler rod. i cant tell you how many times ive jabbed my neck or it got under my hood. i feel like such a fool for all of that blood that i lost because i couldnt think to do something as simple as that! haha
steve

darryl
04-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey, maybe that corrision isn't all bad. Put a few choice metals together, water it, then after it's all powder, there's your raw material for sintering a new metal alloy, or is that a new ceramic, hmm.

ibewgypsie
04-26-2003, 04:12 PM
We've all done similar things, X.. I wasn't knocking you.. Last thing I done was try to shave a piece of uhmw with a router bolted to a table. At least I had the brains to hold it with pliers. My fingers were smarting so bad from the blade hitting the pliers I thought I had lost some. ANd then... yeah sometimes weekly..

x39
04-26-2003, 11:08 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by steve schaeffer:
i like your idea of looping the end of the filler rod.</font>

Steve, in light of the event that led to my starting this thread, I feel kind of silly telling you this, but you can also use different style loops on the ends of your rods to tell them apart.