PDA

View Full Version : Thanks too all for recommending JET gear...

Asmodeus
11-30-2001, 12:43 PM
after reading many posts on here and elsewhere, i am now going to get a jet mill and possibly a jet lathe for my metalworking needs... i was seriously considering a smithy granite 1324 for my needs, but after much more thought and introspection i really think that stand alone units will be a much better fit for me... the nice thing about jet is that they are solid pieces of equipment without being outrageously expensive (bridgeport/clones)... for a couple of hundred bucks more, from what a granite costs i can have a full blown mill and there is just something to be said about that...

Dave Burnett
11-30-2001, 08:37 PM
you should check out Grizzly's G4027 mill it sure is a lot of machine for the money. I know because I have had one for a year now.

kap pullen
11-30-2001, 09:24 PM
You probably made a good choice. I never had a smithy type machine but hear you are always
changing from mill to lathe to mill.
Do you have any machinery auctions in your area?
Several years ago i purchased a Pratt & whitney 16x54 lathe fully tooled for $1100.
Also found two bridgeports for $1500(both).Also have a boss 6 b'port cost $1200.
Some people like new tight machinery (me too) but the relics are too good a deal.
happy machining.
Kapullen

crypto
12-01-2001, 12:07 AM
I believe that Kap Pullen is on the right track. I have on my desk notices for 5 auctions in the coming week. Bridgeports with vises and readouts can be picked up for $2500 to $4000. Why search for a Bridgeport? Tell you a story. I recently visited the NTMA machinist training center in our area, one of 4 in the USA. I noticed that the school had at least two dozen vertical mills, Bridgeports and clones. I also noticed that almost half of them were inoperative. Asked the instructor about the situation and I was told that they were mostly the clones-JUST DID NOT HOLD UP. I have two Bridgeports, one of them is an old round ram model that is perhaps getting a little noisy but it still performs well. I have run a Jet clone, you could not give me one.

Asmodeus
12-01-2001, 02:14 AM
i live in san diego and let me tell you that san diego is not the machinists capital of the world... i'm a mechanical engineer and i don't know of a single auction of machining equipment going on here new or used... if someone does then please let me know...

if i could afford a bridgeport i'd buy one, but considering all of my options the jet seems to be a good deal... i've found a new jet jvm-836 from a company in oregon for 2995 plus free shipping so i might take that on...

SGW
12-01-2001, 05:46 PM
I think you'll like the 836. Crypto is undoubtedly right -- a Bridgeport would stand up to use better -- but you're not going to use it two shifts, 16 hours a day. For your use, I expect the 836 will be fine.

And Kap is right -- used machinery can be a great deal. But if you can't find any, what do you do?

Asmodeus
12-03-2001, 01:34 PM
yeah, i think i will like it too... now it just comes down to actually getting one... i guess the only thing that maybe bugs me about it, but isn't a significant downside is its 5 speeds... i'd also like to machine plastic which is a significant portion of my consulting business, but the speeds on the 836 aren't what i would call plastic friendly although, i would just have to go slower to get a better finish that faster speeds would get me... hey, you win some you lose some... but the price can't really be beat imho...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SGW:
I think you'll like the 836. Crypto is undoubtedly right -- a Bridgeport would stand up to use better -- but you're not going to use it two shifts, 16 hours a day. For your use, I expect the 836 will be fine.

And Kap is right -- used machinery can be a great deal. But if you can't find any, what do you do?</font>

SGW
12-03-2001, 02:17 PM
I solved the lack-of-low-speed problem on my mill with a 3-phase motor and a VFD. Works great.

VFDs (variable-frequency drives) have been discussed in previous threads, in case you missed the notes originally.

bighammer
12-03-2001, 04:21 PM
In 1988 I got a Jet 13-40 PBD lathe,not bad for the price.Looked very good when new,with use paint wears off and what do you know,they got bondo in all the molds just where the low spots were before they poured in the iron. Cross slide and compound all ground finished, but compound base looks like it was finished with a hand held belt sander with 36 grit belt. Head stock moves up and down under heavy cuts, oil can be seeb coming and going between head stock and bed. Head stock anchored only to dowel pins in bed. Still it does good work, but not a South Bend or Dean Smith & Grace.

Daubie
12-04-2001, 06:08 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Asmodeus:
i live in san diego and let me tell you that san diego is not the machinists capital of the world... i'm a mechanical engineer and i don't know of a single auction of machining equipment going on here new or used... if someone does then please let me know...

if i could afford a bridgeport i'd buy one, but considering all of my options the jet seems to be a good deal... i've found a new jet jvm-836 from a company in oregon for 2995 plus free shipping so i might take that on...</font>
-----------------------------
Hi,

Check out:

www.mermac.com (http://www.mermac.com)

I would think there are others around. He is located on Long Island, NY

Kurt

Asmodeus
12-04-2001, 01:15 PM
yeah, i've been to mermac.com, but he really has nothing to offer that i really want and even the stuff that he does have is pretty long in the tooth if you know what i mean...

what i'm really looking for is some sort of auction or sale i can go to in the san diego area, but i've seen nothing...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daubie:

Originally posted by Asmodeus:

if i could afford a bridgeport i'd buy one, but considering all of my options the jet seems to be a good deal... i've found a new jet jvm-836 from a company in oregon for 2995 plus free shipping so i might take that on...</font>

Daubie
12-06-2001, 08:40 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Asmodeus:
yeah, i've been to mermac.com, but he really has nothing to offer that i really want and even the stuff that he does have is pretty long in the tooth if you know what i mean...

what i'm really looking for is some sort of auction or sale i can go to in the san diego area, but i've seen nothing...

</font>

Hi,

We had a JET mill copy of a BRIDGEPORT, on the job, we saved for precision holes/boring work. The motor failed in the first year. It was fine for that function.

Kurt

Asmodeus
12-08-2001, 02:21 AM
what are your impressions of the g4027...? i've seen it and the next model up from it and they certainly look like capable machines...

i've just recently found a used machinery seller in LA, so i'm gonna start hunting for any used gear i can find...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kap pullen:
You probably made a good choice. I never had a smithy type machine but hear you are always
changing from mill to lathe to mill.
Do you have any machinery auctions in your area?
Several years ago i purchased a Pratt & whitney 16x54 lathe fully tooled for $1100.
Also found two bridgeports for $1500(both).Also have a boss 6 b'port cost $1200.
Some people like new tight machinery (me too) but the relics are too good a deal.
happy machining.
Kapullen</font>

Ron LaDow
12-08-2001, 11:59 AM
Re: Bighammer's comment on bondo.
My first job was at Cinti. Milling Machine Co. (as it was called at the time). I worked on the Hydrotel line; big mills which make body-stamping dies for the auto industry.
Yep, every one was absolutely slathered in body filler to get a descent finish on it, and they got filler in the low spots.
I was told it was comman practise; dunno.
Ron LaDow