PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal on a DoAll vertical saw?

heavy metal machine
06-24-2007, 10:09 PM
I have a lead on a DoAll vertical bandsaw for $650. Sad to say but I cant remember the model number and I am not sure of the year. There is no blade welder but it is varible speed with high and low range. It seems to have at least 12" under the guard when it is all the way up and the table is about 24" square and can be tilted to an angle. The tag on the back of the saw says it is 3 phase 440 volts and nothing about being capible of being wired for 220 volts like I have seen before. Does any one know if the motor can be wired to 220 volt or would I have to use a step up/down transformer?

JCHannum
06-25-2007, 07:35 AM
From the information, the price sounds reasonable, the lack of a blade welder removes it from the exceptional category.

The voltage will depend on how the high and low ranges are obtained. If it is electrical, it may not be possible to change voltage economically.

If it is a mechanical, two speed transmission, it may be possible to change the motor connections for lower voltage. In this case, if you can open the connection box on the motor and access the leads directly, you will find out. If is is a nine lead motor, it can be changed. The contactor and fuses will need to be changed for lower voltage also.

Alistair Hosie
06-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi without a few pic's its difficult to say here's not a bad one in the uk for comparison to our prices.Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110141025831&rd=1&rd=1

heavy metal machine
06-25-2007, 12:39 PM
It isnt that big but I would say about that vintage though. I will try and get some pictures this evening.

heavy metal machine
06-26-2007, 07:57 AM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/metalisheavy2003/100_1005.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/metalisheavy2003/100_1004.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/metalisheavy2003/100_1002.jpg

sorry i didnt have time to figure out how to resize the images. take a looka nd some one tell me what you think. other wise i will have to let this one go.
thanks for all the input

JCHannum
06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
The single start/stop buttons indicate a single speed motor. It probably could be rewired 220 3 phase, or the motor replaced with a single phase motor.

It is probably a common motor, you would need access to the motor nameplate to determine it's characteristics and frame number.

pcarpenter
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
So where do you live :-) If you don't want it, I do...does that answer your question :D

Paul (In Illinois)

sandman2234
06-26-2007, 12:17 PM
A stepup/down transformer isn't that big a deal, it's getting from 3 phase to single phase that is usually the problem, and that just means adding another box with money in it.
I would take a look at the speeds available for that blade. Some of the Doalls went sky high (15000!) and are hard to slow down enough to use for cutting steel.
I purchased a Rollin bandsaw in NW Arkansas and while waiting to make the trip I found another nearby(250 miles each way). That one was a Doall for $100.
Both machines have blade welders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/Rick%20Brightwell/Bandsaw2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/sandman2234/IMGP0703.jpg
Good deals are out there!
David from jax

Alistair Hosie
06-26-2007, 12:21 PM
HMM that's a really nice looking saw go for it I say don't worry as it looks likem its hardly been used Alistair

lane
06-26-2007, 08:33 PM
It looks good. One like that would go for $1,000 + around here. Motor is easy to replace . with a single phase motor. I sold one like it about 3 years ago to a guy . $ 1,800 had a blade welder but it did not work . Buy it thay come in some kind of handy. Could not do with out my Grob 18 inch saw.

heavy metal machine
06-26-2007, 11:37 PM
i looked over the saw today. it looks good. the drive wheel seems to have plenty of rubber and the saw checks out with the dual voltage so i am good there. the speed selction range went from 50 to i believe 5000?..at any rate both low and high worked with the variable speed change. i took the cover off of the back and it was reallly quite clean back there. i think what the heck for $650 what more can you expect. after all i payed a heck of a lot more for my wellsaw horizontal saw.

as it turns out the mill in the picture is for sale to. the asking price on that is $2150. the varible speed pulleys are a bit noisy and make some vibration at higher rpm. i would assume that the bushings in the pulleys are in need of replacing. does any one know of a source for parts for a slightly used hurco milling machine? who even makes hurco? it does have a working sony digital read out, work lamp, and a spray mister on it. the travel of the x and y axis seems pretty good considering some one felt compelled to mill into the bed for some dumb reason. i never under stood being that careless.

at any rate $2800 for the pair. what do you think?..flop or tool gloat?

Joel
06-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Don't know your location, but around here - gloat for sure. The DoALL is a ReALL DeALL.

heavy metal machine
06-27-2007, 07:47 AM
i live about in the middle of eastern south dakota. pretty much out in the "sticks". although life is simple here and thats what i enjoy about it the most.

pcarpenter
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
If that is truly a clone of a Bridgeport, a lot of the internals are interchangable. I bought the bushing kit for my 2HP VS Bridgeport here: http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/site/1478157/page/45029

The guys who run the place are very sharp and are themselves in the rebuilding business and have been for quite a few years. You may want to talk to one of them to see if they have had a Hurco in their shop and perhaps they could tell you if parts are interchangable.

H of H&W is Henry Hendrix and is a nice fellow with whom I have spoken several times.

Paul

heavy metal machine
06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
i just checked with the hurco company and got a quote of the possible parts that could potentially be the problem with the noisy head;

Bearings and bushings are available;
7130016058 Bushing (one on front (spindle ) and one on motor shaft $201.00
2110003001 Bearing up top Stock $120.00
2110003004 $162.00 Matched set bearing z axis

total cost for the parts would be around $700 for everything by the time you add shipping. :eek: i think i will have to pass on the hurco mill at the price of $2150. by the time i add all those parts to the asking price i think i could have bought a nice used bridgeport mill plus have a little resale value should i ever want to trade it in. one guy told me that tiwanian mills he can hardly give them away.

what do you guys have for opinions on that?

lane
06-28-2007, 09:30 PM
That Hurco mill is a Konda made in Spain. try Clausing Konda Clausing imports them. They have a lot better head than a B.P. they don't use the thin plastic bushings Noise is probably not the pulleys but bearing on bottom spindle pulley or bad belt.

pcarpenter
06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
While its possible that those bearings are somehow proprietary, the better likelyhood is that they are a standard item available *much* cheaper from a bearing supply house. If you bought all the parts for a Ford pickup at the Ford dealer, you would have a million dollar pickup truck. I would not assume that all of the possible parts that are listed are simultaneously bad, either.

I would be tempted to go ahead on the mill and see what is wrong. If there are VS bushings up top, I can help you figure out whether they are the same size as those that fit the BP which are available for a few bucks. I have my head rebuilt and reassembled now, but still have the "dowel pins" that came with the bushing kit that are the same size as the shafts that the sheaves slide up and down on in the Bridgeport and could measure them if needed.

Usually its the spindle bearings only that are of an expensive variety by nature (angular contact ball bearing). I would use a stick against the side of the head (listening to it with your ear) to further isolate the noise away from the spindle.

I would be more interested in whether the way surfaces are worn badly or not. Bearings are cheap, scraping work is not. I bought a used BP a while back and am scraping it in myself. I would go broke hiring that done and just couldn't afford it. I replaced several VS head bearings very inexpensively since I had it all apart, but even then they were likely not very worn. The scraping work on the other hand is a big deal. A clapped out Bridgeport is not something you probably want to get into either. I would use the noise in the head as a bargaining chip if the mill is otherwise in good shape and figure that it likely is very fixable.

Used Bridgeports in newish condition (as opposed to most that are being sold because they have lots of wear) go for a lot more than $2100 plus $700 parts.

Edit-- just re-read your post again and I agree with Lane-- "Vibration at higher speeds" sounds like a belt to me. Loose VS bushings tend to make more clatter. The belt having sat tensioned in one position for a while could even be the culprit as it is heavy, stiff, and tends to retain the egg shape.

Paul