PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo DRO

Paul Gauthier
04-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Got a new Penn Tool cataloge the other day and on the back cover is the above mentioned DRO. Anyone have one or know anything about them, good/bad??? The price looks reasonable, $595.00 I am looking to put some on my B'port.
I have used a lot of Mitutoyo hand tools and have never been disappointed.

------------------
Paul G.

Thrud
04-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Paul
Well, there you go...

Mitutoyo makes good stuff - don't be shy.

SGW
04-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Look at the accuracy specs and see if they satisfy you. As I recall, that unit has a resolution of +/- 0.0005" and accuracy of +/- 0.002", or something like that.

Personally, I'd want something better, but a lot of people have 'em and think they're fine.

Thrud
04-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Stephen
I was told by a Canadian rep that +/- .oo2 is maximum error of the entire length of the scale (48"?) - it also takes into account creepage or drift of the DRO electronics. They do this for their own protection from chuckleheads that nitpick things to death and then threaten to sue if life does not work the way they expect.

Mitutoyo has lawyers as well and in a world of sue-happy complainers it is called "covering your ass". It goes under the heading of "poo happens" even with the best laid plans fo mice and men...

Paul Gauthier
04-28-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks Thrud
I just may get this one. Should be more than accurate enough for may needs.

------------------
Paul G.

Ragarsed Raglan
04-28-2003, 01:49 PM
We recently put a 3 axis Mitutoya DRO on to our Thiel Duplex mill at work. The machine was graduated in Imperial units, and the 'youngsters' couldn't cope with metric to Imperial conversions! I must admit I am very impressed with it's performance, the one thing about DRO's is that as it is an absolute system, so you don't have to worry about backlash in the leadscrews anymore. What you do still have to do though, is remember backlash in the context of cutter 'grab'.

The really neat facility is the hole circle definition, now if you are milling a job and have to drop in some holes on a PCD there is no need to swap from vice to rotary table, or dig out those complex polar co-ordinates tables ~ this baby does it for you!

Go for it! I'm saving up for one for my home shop at the minute - but I'm not convinced that the prices have 'bottomed out' yet.

RR

StephenK
04-28-2003, 02:45 PM
Paul:
I have had one on my mill for I forget how many years. Purchased it from Penn Tool for more than the new list price. After the first bit of a problem,which was taken care of immediately by Mitutoyo,It's been great.