PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the shop

darryl
06-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Just spend the better part of two days trying to re-organize the shop. Seems like all I've done is move the visible part of the floor around. It's a bloody mess, can't really work in there now. I had it to where I could use every machine without moving anything around. Now I have to move something before I can use any machine. It's pretty obvious that cleaning is just plain wrong. :)

dp
06-25-2007, 01:05 AM
I got some old foot prints from the Arthur Murray dance studio on ebay and put them on the floor so my wife can find the washing machine and a way out when she's done. Long ago I added a clapper so she can turn on the lights from anywhere in the room. She's been asking for a rest area to be added because the route has gotten longer in the last year or so, and maybe a phone booth in case she needs help negotiating around the wood working area where the foot prints are frequently obscured by sawdust.

jacampb2
06-25-2007, 02:31 AM
My shop is nearly always a wreck! I just recently majorly revamped things when I bought my 15x48 colchester. I built two levels of shelves near the ceiling, around the corner where my welding area and lathe are located. The shelves are 24"s deep on the top row, 18"s on the second row, about 2' of head space for each shelf. I hung florecent lights from the tiers above the lathe, and three incadescent fixtures with CF 150 watt equivelent bulbs in them over the welding table. Shelves are 8' along one wall, and 10' along the other. It freed up enough space for the lathe that turned out to be larger than expected! I packed most of the crap I rarely use in plastic totes and loaded the shelves up. It was awesome for about two weeks. Then I had to move a bunch of stuff over from my Grandmothers garage that is being demoed, and my shop floor is full of crap again...

Later,
Jason

TECHSHOP
06-25-2007, 03:16 AM
Just the thought of being able to "see" any of my machines without moving "something" would be nice; to actually be able to use them without moving "something" would be "heaven".

In my shop, when a light burns out, there isn't enough room left to unscrew the bulb!

BadDog
06-25-2007, 03:39 AM
I gave up on having "room". My shop has a "U" shaped path through the debris just wide enough to walk carrying a box or something. You walk in the big door on the left, walk by the main Lista tool box, the Bridgeport, a rack of tooling (rotary tables, indexers, multi-axis vices, lathe turret, spare chucks, etc.), the Rockwell lathe in front of full 4x8 sheet of peg board, 92 bin steel bolt rack, and DeCom hazardous material cabinet to the back. Across the back with the flat steel storage along with long board next to the wall behind the folding shop crane and 20T press/brake. Then turn back out toward the door walking down full length floor to ceiling cantilevered shelves holding long steel stock, boxes of "stuff", random tooling, spare 4x4 parts, and so on. Just before you exit you pass 2 "in process" BS 6x12 Grinders, a HF Bandsaw, and a pedestal grinder along with a 3' wide "general consumables" shelf with sandpaper, spare sander/grinder belts, grinding wheels, etc.. And that's just on the outer walls. The center starts at the door with large heavy "grinding table" (with it's own power circuit! and 20A Romex extension cord) that has all my messy belt grinders and angle grinders along with all their related consumables so that I can roll it outside. Beside it their is a spare pedestal mount grinding spindle (that I drive from the band saw pulley) and other stuff that is "portable". Basically, all the stuff I drag outside to use because of the mess/grit is front and center in front of the door. Next in on the inner island is the main floor mounted 2" reciever tube where the tube bender usually lives and the welding/plasma rolling rack with all the related support gear. Finally, anchoring one end of the island is my multi-tier 4x4 1/2" top welding/fab/work table that holds all my short stock, welding jigs and clamps, main hammer collection, and 3 more reciever tubes for mounting transient low use tooling such as the strap/bar bender and bead roller. All that in a 19x20 shop, and that does not even consider transients like the 20gal shop vac, 40 gal garbage can, stools, and so on.

So the usable floor space is small and getting smaller. I have no choice but to keep it picked up or I couldn't do anything at all in there...

J.Ramsey
06-25-2007, 03:47 AM
Get organized or build a larger shop...............ooop's larger shop=larger mess:D

PTSideshow
06-25-2007, 05:21 AM
I have a 2 story,24x32 shop not counting the basement, If it wasn't for the EZ-up shade thingie and the 24x60 pad in front of the double 9x10 doors I wouldn't have a place to work on any thing. The way it is I have to go back outside to turn around.:D

BigBoy1
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I think you guys are forgetting some of the basic laws of physics. Nature abhores a vaccum and things just get "sucked in" to fill it. That is why shops are always full of things and "stuff." Another corollary to the "Vaccum Law" is that no matter how big the shop, it will always get filled.

These are things I tell SWMBO and she just gives me "the look!"

Bill

Scishopguy
06-25-2007, 09:49 AM
I just chalk it up to the fact that people have the same properties as gasses. They expand to fill whatever space is available to them. Tool acquisition is a project that never ends, and is only limited by space. We just keep on collecting.;)

darryl
06-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Now I'm so depressed. I'd like to get another couple machines, but there's nowhere to set them up. I'd have to sacrifice one machine to make room for another one. That would be harder than organizing and cleaning up.

Ah, but then (I'm happy again) I could just get one of those chine easy air compressors. When the tank ruptures, woila! instant space!

Actually, I now have what I'll call a wall unit- basically a lot of drawers and a top about 2 ft by 8ft- installed along one wall. I should be able to organize pretty much all the hand tools, drill bits, lathe and mill tooling, etc. I'm almost finished making a light bar for that dimly lit area. Progress.

TECHSHOP
06-26-2007, 04:58 AM
darryl:

I feel your pain. I just spent yesterday "consolidating" all the 4'x8' plywood sheets to one wall of the shop. I knew I had some stuff hidden behind them. There has to be an arrangement where I'll be able to touch most of the machines without rearranging the shop. I have been wracking my back and brain to get EVERYTHING either used up (read as projects completed) or in a "proper" place.

In the warm months, I put up a 12'x24' tent up over the driveway to get some "working room". This year SWMBO made it quite clear that there will be nothing left outside under tarps in the front OR back yards next winter. SWMBO thinks I have more tools than I may need, but you somehow never have everything you need for the next job. A Tool Collector? No, not really. What I buy, generally, is for use...

ligito
06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Sky hooks, we all need sky hooks.:D

Carld
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I worked so long in pig pen shops that I now keep my shop clean all the time. After each days work I clean the machines and floor for the next days use. I hate to walk on chips and dirt and detest a sloped up work bench. That's not to say everything is perfect, just clean and orderly.

A friend was telling about a friends shop he visited and it was very sloppy and dirty. There was a corner of the shop where the son of the shops owner worked. It had a white line around it with the words DO NOT ENTER by the white line. The son had the machines he used inside the white line and everything in there was clean and orderly. My friend remarked about the dirty shop and why he allowed it to be that way as it is dangerous. The owner told my friend "I am thinking about retiring and letting my son take over. When he takes over I am sure he will fire everyone here, clean the shop and start over." My friend and I think that is a good idea.

platypus2020
06-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I gave up trying to keep a real clean shop, worked for a week cleaning, had 3 spots where you could lay a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood on the floor, 2 days later came home from work, and found a mower, a wheelbarrow, rakes and other misc yard tools in the shop. SWMBO said it alot closer than the new 20' x 24' back yard shed, moved the stuff to the shed, put a pipe threader in one of the spaces, and moved other stuff around, so the empty spaces disappeared.
From now on clean out just enough space to safely work, and nothing more.

jack

darryl
06-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Just one thing I don't understand- room for a 4x8 laying on the floor- in 3 spots- :)

I have four stands of a sort that I use to set a 4x8 sheet on vertically (4 ft high wise) for cutting with a skilsaw to a manageable size. They put the bottom edge of the sheet high enough for the skilsaw to start the cut. I use a straight edge clamped to the sheet as a guide. Works well enough. If I need a strip lengthwise, it's another story. No problem now since I can do that at work, but at home it's a chore.

The bandsaw is on a swivel so long pieces can enter through the door, lay across the saw and go diagonally across the room. Swivelling the saw lets me line it up for long pieces, or put it more out of the way so I can get around in there. Getting a 20 ft piece in is another operation. A basement window comes out, the long stock comes in the garage door, through the window, and into the basement shop. Then it gets turned a bit, and one end goes through an interior doorway, then back in to lay within the bandsaw vise.

I once had to cut some aluminum lengthwise on the table saw. The saw had to be aligned with two interior dorrways, the long piece brought in as per above description, then supports placed wherever possible to handle infeed and outfeed. It is a particularly satisfying feeling to find that you're actually able to accomodate and get the job done.

Well, I hope to get my new lights wired up and lit tonite.

Wayne02
06-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I learned my lesson about "re-organizing" the shop some time ago. Years and years of muscle memory flushed down the drain, can't find a damn thing now.

Even something as simple as moving tools from one drawer in the roll-around toolbox to another drawer in the same box trips me up. Instinctively I used be able to reach for tool X in drawer Y without even looking at the toolbox. After the "re-org" I have to stop and look at the damn box to read the labels on the drawers to see where I put the stupid tool.

Oh well, at least I have fancy looking labels on a lot of my stuff now [rollseyes]

heavysteamer
06-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Geez guys. I don't know what to say. I know I have a disease. I'm messy and try to do too much in too small a space. I'm not sure I need to hear from a bunch of people who suffer from the same disease. What I need is a way out. Right now I'm trying to get as much machning capacity into a 10 by 14 shop that I have in a 20 by 40 shop, a 30 by 40 shop and a large shed. I don't see a way out. Already, I'm getting a 14x4' Hendey lathe for the 10x14 shop as the first large machine. I need help.

Ken_Shea
06-27-2007, 09:40 PM
If all of us junk junkie, rats nest, messy and generally unorganised shop owners want to really feel bad about ourself, check this guy out.

Click on "Tour my shop"

http://www.weberprecision.com/

I think I will go out in the garden and eat worms.

Ken_Shea
06-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I thought the guy was a perfectionist, not !

Did you notice that 3 out of the 4 fluorescent bulbs were burnt out ?:D

bob_s
06-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Geez guys. I don't know what to say. I know I have a disease. I'm messy and try to do too much in too small a space. I'm not sure I need to hear from a bunch of people who suffer from the same disease. What I need is a way out. Right now I'm trying to get as much machning capacity into a 10 by 14 shop that I have in a 20 by 40 shop, a 30 by 40 shop and a large shed. I don't see a way out. Already, I'm getting a 14x4' Hendey lathe for the 10x14 shop as the first large machine. I need help.

Your shop compression ratio is approximately 15:1. At that ratio the max lathe you can afford to put in the shop is more than likely a UNIMAT! Why reduce shop space to 10x14 when you could combine all shops into a single LARGER shop for a mere couple of $100K.

heavysteamer
06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Your shop compression ratio is approximately 15:1. At that ratio the max lathe you can afford to put in the shop is more than likely a UNIMAT! Why reduce shop space to 10x14 when you could combine all shops into a single LARGER shop for a mere couple of $100K.

Well, the main reason is that they are a thousand miles apart. My little building is in soth west Utah while the rest is in the far north east corner of Washington state. I have a bit of room next to the 10x14 bldg so I expect there will be some building going on before long.