PDA

View Full Version : Rotary table for G4515Z

clintkc
04-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Coincidentally, I'm looking for a decent-quality rotary table to use with my G4515Z lathe/mill/drill. I've looked at Grizzly, Enco, and several other places (including ads in The Home Shop Machinist). I don't need anything elaborate, but would like a rugged and accurate vertical/horizontal type.

Any suggestions for a decent one?

Thanks,

Clint K. Campbell

SGW
04-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Rotary tables are never big enough. If they are big enough, they're too heavy to lift. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

By the time you get the work on the table, and allow space for clamps, you can eat up a lot of space. So get as large a diameter as is in scale with your equipment, both in diameter and thickness, as you can. Maybe somebody else can give you a better feel for what that might be for your machine.

Horizontal/vertical is a good idea, by the way.

Thrud
04-27-2003, 06:32 PM
Clint as Stephen has suggested a H/V model is a better choice as you can use it with a tailstock. Vertex makes a reasonable priced good quality unit. Sky is the limit otherwise - Nikken, Meca, Yuasa, and other high end units abound (keep an eye out for these at auctions - you could get lucky http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif).

clintkc
04-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks, I'll definitely keep my eye open for some good deals... and I'll check into the brand you mentioned, as well.

As for milling/drilling with an inclined rotary table, would you (or anyone) suggest purchasing a much more expensive inclining rotary table, or simply using a sine plate or tilting base? Rotary tables with built-in angle adjustments are FRIGGIN' EXPENSIVE, but it might cost me just as much to get a separate rotary table and sine plate. (?) I'm just wondering what the "professional opinion" might be.

Thanks!

--CKC

clintkc
04-27-2003, 06:45 PM
By the way, I made an error.

I have a Grizzly G4015Z lathe/mill/drill, not a G4515Z. I don't think they even make a G4515Z. (Just in case anyone noticed.)

Heh heh.

--CKC

sidneyt
04-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Clint:

I think you may have some trouble finding much of a rotary table to fit you 4015. You may be able to use one of the 4" diameter versions that are carried by HF, Lathemaster, etc. Even then it will be tight especially if you try to put a small chuck on top of the table (that may not be possible). Another possibility would be to make a small table using the Guy Lautard's plans. The only trouble with that is that you will have some difficulty making the table using a a 4015. I know that because I tried.

Start saving for a mill/drill so you can use a rotary table.

clintkc
04-27-2003, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure I understand why there would be a problem with the 4015 using a rotary table. There is a lot of room between the cross slide and the quill (about 9.5" overall, and still about 6.5" with a 3/8" end mill installed) with the tool post and compound removed.

From what I understand, a rotary table would most likely attach to the cross slide using T-nuts. Then you have X and Y travel using the carriage, plus the rotary table movement. Am I wrong about this? Now I'm a bit confused... more than before. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Thanks for your input, though.

--CKC

clintkc
04-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Also, the dimensions I gave above are with the mill head lowered as far as it will go. The thing will raise up quite a bit (I'm not sure exactly how far, but a lot), so I don't see any problem with clearance (if that is what you're suggesting).

Just thought I'd throw that in. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif There has GOT to be a way.

Thanks.

sidneyt
04-28-2003, 03:30 PM
Clint:

I purchase a Grizzly 4015 (not the Z)new in June of 2000. It was my first machine tool. I had never used a lathe before I purchased the 4015. Since I wasn't too sure if machining was something that I would do forever, I didn't want to make a major investment. Also, I liked the idea of getting something "new". I learned a lot in the two and a half years that I owned my 3in1. Made several backplates for chucks, various tools, and a Stirling engine. The Stirling was made from plans that appeared in Machinist Workshop magazine (2000). That was a challenge for my very novice skills. After making some real attempts to use the mill portion of the 4015 I finally realized that it was not going to be suitable for the engine project or most other projects that would require milling. It simply was not substantial enough nor large enough to do much. I purchased a RF-31 type mill/drill which as a vast improvement. The lathe portion of the 4015 I continued to use for two more years until I replaced it with a 12 x 36 gearhead model.

I am sure you read about 3in1s before you considered the one you got. The weakest part of them is surely the mill portion. Yet, I am not one to criticize the purchase of one of these machines. Like I said, almost everything I learned about machining was on my Grizzly 3in1. I also learned that I enjoyed machining and I wanted something better than a 3in1.

BTW, I sold my 4015 to a retired machinist for about half of what I paid for it and the various accessories I included. He was familiar with this machine was pleased with the purchase. I consider the investment I made in the 4015 money well spent.

Good luck with yours