PDA

View Full Version : Tool shops in Atlanta?

hornluv
06-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Georgia folks,

The wife and I are taking a trip down to Atlanta this weekend and I was wondering if there are any nice places to go to satisfy my tool lust. I know there are a couple of Metal Supermarkets and plan on stopping at the one in Marietta on the way in. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Stuart

daryl bane
06-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Not really to reply to your thread, but nice to see a horn guy on the forum. I played a Walter Lawson( I guess you're competitor :)) rebuilt Alexander for many years. Was a weird one from the early 60's, largest internal bore I or Mr Lawson had ever seen. Anyway, I lived in the Atlanta area for many years and unfortunately, I don't remember it being much of a machining/ manufacturing type of town. Maybe somebody is more clued in as to whats there now.

agrip
06-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Stuart

Tool shops is a broad subject.
Both MSC and McMaster have a warehouse in town, but somehow I don't think that is what you want.

Highland Hardware is BIG in serious craftsman wood work.
Pro as well as HSM. Check their web site.

Stone Mountain Power Tool has moved enough that I think they are part of Kenco tools now. At one time, SMPT gave Highland a run of competition and included stuff for the high end finish carpenter.
Kenco for some reason has never impressed me to keep up with who they target.

Northern Tool and Equipment has a good sized spread in Marietta, if you are into jacks and pintle hooks or small engines, small tractors and trailers accessories.
Mechanicy - - Outdoorsy stuff. Web site also.

Then there is Snap-On Matco etc.

Considering your own specialty there are various efforts at having a craftsman community.

Time is short, can you be more specific?

Hth Ag

hornluv
06-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Daryl: Nice to meet another Hornist on the forum. I think of myself as less a competitor of Lawson than a kindred spirit. Sadly, Walter died on the 13th. Don't know if you knew that or not.

Agrip: I'm looking for machine tool stuff. I'm not into woodworking (only room for one set of tools). I've got a Northern Tool catalog and like their stuff. I'll swing in there too while I'm in Marietta.

daryl bane
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear that. He was quite the craftsman, and a very helpful and nice man. I've been out of the horn playing business for along time, as I was long on talk and practice hours, but short on natural talent. :)