PDA

View Full Version : Simple deck building tool

Evan
06-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I started on my ground level deck yesterday and again ran into the problem of untwisting boards. I whipped up a simple tool from my stash of thinwall scrap steel tubing. Took 5 minutes max.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/untwister.jpg

pcarpenter
06-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Very nice and undoubtedly handy. I noticed that Stanley makes a neat framing tool that has a fork for manipulating 2x lumber as well as a couple of prying tools and a hammer head as I recall.

It's called the Fubar :D Yup....really...

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=Xtreme&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-099

Still, I like yours better. It offers more leverage. Plus...how do you use the hammer head on the Fubar when you have the fork in use twisting the piece into place:rolleyes:

Paul

ligito
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Evan's is similar in design but 90 degrees, from a bumper bender.
Simple and effective.

DR
06-26-2007, 02:06 PM

Took 5 minutes max.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/untwister.jpg

Yeah, great tool, but 5 minutes.......no way.

BadDog
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Why no way? Assuming he had to make the 2 cuts to form the 3 pieces, and maybe another to get the handle length (my guess it's just what was handy and required less cutting), then clamp it on a table and buzz (8) ~1" beads with the wire feed, finally wrap with tape. Wouldn't take me 5 minutes from walking out the door using just what's in my shop at this moment (basically, scrap 1" square tubing). Of course that assumes the spacer piece was sufficiently close to provide for the board + operation clearance without having to shim/cut, but even that wouldn't be bad.

Evan
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
No cutting, the pieces are 1 1/2" sq leftovers from the ongoing projects. No clamping, throw on floor, leave slight gap for clearance and zap with welder, dip in rain barrel. Paint with Krylon Instant Drying paint (really, dries almost on contact) and tape. 5 Minutes max.

Tin Falcon
06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Evan :
Cool a board untwister thingey you invented, Yea I know there are comercial versions but it it is nice when you can make one cheaper and quicker than a trip to the store.
Tin

TGTool
06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Ah, welded then. That explains it. From the picture I thought you had some weapons grade duct tape that we couldn't get down here. (Homeland security and all that.) Very good. It did occur to me though, that if the handle were at 90 degrees to the fork, you could get leverage in several directions to combat warp and wind.

Peter Sanders
06-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Hi

Just use a large "F" clamp on the board and press down on the "leg" (with your foot) while you hammer the nail :D

Simple, zero minutes to make AND very useful to "clamp" things :D :D

aostling
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I started on my ground level deck yesterday and again ran into the problem of untwisting boards. I whipped up a simple tool from my stash of thinwall scrap steel tubing.

Evan,

How did you join the warped boards so that they don't unsprung in the future? Clinched nails?

Evan
06-26-2007, 10:08 PM
What are 'nails'? I haven't used nails in decades. Everything I build (of wood) is screwed together. I use either self drilling plated and chromated screws or for the treated wood I use epoxy coated deck screws. I don't know anyone that still uses nails for decks, certainly not commercial builders.

wierdscience
06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
A homebrew "TIMBER TWEEKER",why buy when you can build.

May as well whip one of these up too while your at it:D

http://www.tools-plus.com/cepco-bw2.html

Evan
06-26-2007, 10:27 PM
That looks useful. I could have used that on the upper deck. I don't need it for the ground level deck as I can just stick a pry bar in the ground.

aostling
06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't know anyone that still uses nails for decks, certainly not commercial builders.

Evan,

My grandfather Axel was a carpenter, so I have a fondness for hammers and nails. The Spring 2006 issue of Woodworking Magazine http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/ has an article titled "Build Furniture With a Hammer." The lead-in sentence states "Far from a crude implement, a good hammer is a wonder of subtlety and an asset for many kinds of joinery."

I've no doubt you are right to use screws for decks. But now that your comment made me look up this article again, I want to get a classic hammer, and some cut nails.

pntrbl
06-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Evan, I think you guys get the good wood up there in BC and we get the crap here in SoCal. I fought the rafters on the patio I built so hard I was just about ready to swear off wood forever!

They're nice and straight when ya pick 'em .....

The rafters go between and are supposed to meet blocks on the beam, but several were twisted so bad I had to hang off a 10" C-Clamp with both hands to get them straight. The problem was you can't hang off a 10" C-Clamp with both hands and still drive a nail!

I wound up hanging a 5 gal paint bucket on the C-Clamp and then gradually added 25 lb bricks of lead until the bucket was about ready to let go. Bent the handle. :eek: A little more pressure from my left hand was still needed before I could bang one in to hold it.

The 4x8 beams went crazy too. One of 'em was off plumb by 6" a week later. I figured I was gonna need a truck to pull the beams straight, but when SIL showed up with his F250 4x4 Diesel he had his 400lb buddy Jared with him. Jared gave the post a bump with one shoulder and moved that beam out 4". A couple more hits with those hams he calls hands and it was on the mark!

The dude's a man mountain. Little old me couldn't even budge it.

So here's a pic of the only patio cover I will ever build. This won't be happening again. I prefer metal .....

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/PatioCover.jpg

Still haven't painted it. :D

SP

oldtiffie
06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Deleted/edited-out

Your Old Dog
06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
I thought you had some weapons grade duct tape that we couldn't get down here. (Homeland security and all that.) .

ROFLAMO! :D

Alistair Hosie
06-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Like you Evan I normally use screws instead of nails for such projects and My Bronwen has been at me for a while to build a deck they seem to be all the rage now here there and everywhere :DAlistair ps is thet yucky yellow really needed.Alistair

Evan
06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
is thet yucky yellow really needed.Alistair

The yellow helps me to find things. I discovered some time ago that my brain's pattern recognition system works largely based on colors and not so much shape. By painting or taping tools in various bright color patterns they are much easier for me to find.

I also tend to associate certain types of tools with certain colors which is why I put up different color peg boards in my renovated shop earlier this year. Measurement, adjustment and similar tools are yellow, clamps, welding supplies and other fastenings are blue, hammers and other brute force tools are red and so on.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/shopg8a.jpg

ligito
06-27-2007, 09:22 PM
That's assuming you have a wall left on which to hang something .;)

BadDog
06-27-2007, 09:30 PM
I somehow missed the color coding in the previous posts, very nice. Too bad my walls are almost completely covered. :D And I am very jealous of that nice drill press, that is one of the few pieces of primary use Chinese equipment that I have left in my shop (excepting the band saw). But one question, why the tape on the floor? Is that carpet or something under the machines with tape to reduce trip hazard?

Evan
06-27-2007, 10:12 PM
The floor under the shaper is painted gray to reduce oil staining. The yellow tape is a self imposed safety zone. Nothing is allowed on the floor within the yellow tape if the shaper is in use. This is for my own benefit as a reminder so I don't trip over something and pitch head first into the drives. If I set clear rules like that for myself I tend to follow them.

BadDog
06-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Ah, that makes sense. I knew carpet didn't make sense to me, but that's sure what it looked like (to me).

JRouche
06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I also tend to associate certain types of tools with certain colors

Yeah, I noticed you have the thumb busters on the blood red board, makes sense....

Strange though, yer color system actually makes sense. I see the clamps as a cool blue and electrical fits the green....I like.....JRouche