PDA

View Full Version : The Firepiston

aostling
06-26-2007, 02:16 PM
This may have been posted before, but I can't find a record of it.

http://www.onagocag.com/piston.html describes an ancient fire-starting device. This ought to be easy to make for us, with our lathes and reamers. I wonder how the stone-agers managed it with primitive tools.

lazlo
06-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Dang, and here I thought you found the recipe to Greek Fire :D

mklotz
06-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Ancient peoples may not have had reamers but they had hones.

I watched a documentary about tribes (in New Guinea, IIRC) making blowguns. They split a cane (or some similar material) and carved a crude groove into the length of the inner surface of both pieces. The halves were reassembled to form a tube after which a wooden slug was drawn back and forth through the groove midst a mixture of water and river sand to form a smooth straight bore. Good enough to hit a monkey thirty feet up in a tree.

rbregn
06-27-2007, 12:33 AM
I have a fire piston made out of clear acrylic. Works great with a little practice! I bought it to see how it worked, I was impressed, I like the clear acrylic because you can see the small explosion when it fires

dp
06-27-2007, 12:38 AM
What is used for the seal in the acrylic version?

aostling
06-27-2007, 12:40 AM
I have a fire piston made out of clear acrylic. Works great with a little practice! I bought it to see how it worked, I was impressed, I like the clear acrylic because you can see the small explosion when it fires

I'm from Butte myself. Mercury Street. How does China compare?

rbregn
06-27-2007, 01:07 AM
The piston it self is made out of some kind of Nylon and about the last 3/16" is a bout .001 oversize. With a small hole in the end to put in your material to light

:D I'll take Montana any day! Altho you should come to China for a visit. It's worth it. Plus the Lamplighter has the best Prime rib around! Have some for me , will ya?;)

wshelley
06-27-2007, 06:21 PM
You can see video of a fire piston in use at http://www.firepiston.com/ I have one made of acrylic. The piston is sealed to the bore with a small o ring. I've made one from a aluminum arrow shaft for the bore and aluminum for the shaft. They work surprisingly well.

Ward