PDA

View Full Version : Mill / Drill on the limit ?

John Stevenson
06-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Got a vibro motor in for repair today [ no sniggering at the back ] This one is about 25 HP and they bolt to the outside of a die segment for concrete pipes and at each end there are big out of balance weights that rotate at 1425 rpm and shake the whole assembly to get air out the concrete.

Because of what they do they have a hard life.
This one has thrown the balance weights off each end requiring a rebore and shaft build up but it's also come loose and badly worn the mounting feet.
Centre hight isn't a problem but getting it flat and tight is.

Body and stator upended on the Bridgy and faced off.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/vibro1.jpg

It was just possible to get this on the bed for hight. Packed up both ends and clamped and also supported on the 8" angle plate.

Max cut was 30 thou and had to take 0.300 off to get flat on both feet.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/vibro2.jpg

About halfway down the 0.300 depth. One side has cleaned up but the outerside is still crib shaped.

matador
06-26-2007, 06:13 PM
How come you get all the good jobs,John?:D.
I can just about imagine the stress on the bearings as it's banging around,weights 'n all.Is that base cast iron?Amazing it hasn't cracked with the strain.

wierdscience
06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
John,I've fixed a few of those myself,though the biggest I worked was a 15hp unit.

Funny sight was a 2hp unit I had changed the electrical cord and strain relief fitting on.My helper thought he would give it a quick test run while my back was turned.

I still laugh when ever I think about the sight of a grown man running around trying to tackle the thing and hang onto it:D

Dawai
06-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah, it probably shakes almost as much as a old triumph twin..

I wonder why they didn't just use one of them? *snicker... Them are some fender cracking rascals.. the one I repaired weekly for years would turn 10,000 rpm thou. We had put good pistons in.. Last I seen inside, I think the pistons also closed the valves.