PDA

View Full Version : The Great Flood- UK Style

Norman Atkinson
06-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Our turn- folks.
Half of England is still underwater and the experts predict more to come.
If I recall we, ordinary old men contributed the first million dollars to the 'Twin Towers' and in New Orleans, we did it again.
Up to 7" of rain fell in a day or so. We are helping again in what is for England another 'Dunkirk' or Battle of Britain.

With an element of bitterness, I note that the US has ducked the issue yet again.

Are you leaving it to the Old Battle Weary Vets- most of are, to help these people?

Shame on you!

Norman Atkinson- a hand in wallet 'mason'

rancherbill
06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I thought you guy liked rain.

As Canadians we were at your side on the Expeditionary force at Dunkirk and in the Battle of Britain and we'd like to help again.

I know the Canadian Armed Forces are committed right now in Afghanistan, or I would have called the Prime Minister right away about your rain.

Perhaps you could call in an IOU from France. They are closer anyway.

John Stevenson
06-26-2007, 08:59 PM
I thought you guy liked rain.

We *have* to like it, there is a difference :D

aostling
06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
With an element of bitterness, I note that the US has ducked the issue yet again.

Norman,

I had not heard of these widespread floods. I searched the web and found a single article, which has a photo showing two kayakers paddling on the streets of Beverley. Shame, indeed, on American mainstream media, myopic and self-absorbed as usual.

charlie coghill
06-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Send some of that rain to Lake Tahoe, they are burnning the town down.

wierdscience
06-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Norman,sorry,we haven't heard a think about it in the news here.Just that Paris Hilton has been set free and some woman's husband killed her(as if it's the first time that has happened in history).

Meanwhile the country is being sold wholesale to Mexico by our elected dictators which the media is busy keeping quiet.

Dawai
06-26-2007, 11:15 PM
And my grass crunches when I walk on it.. don't have to mow, it is breaking off and blowing about.. we are 15+ inches behind in rain.

motorworks
06-26-2007, 11:33 PM
And some people still do not believe in Climate change
Here we have had only a few days(mid june) were you could wear shorts,
well only a few days were you did not need long underware!
:D

speedy
06-26-2007, 11:47 PM
It was all over the news here last night Norm. What a catastrophy for all those affected.
If your ally will not assist who do you turn to?

[QUOTE=wierdscience]Norman,sorry,we haven't heard a think about it in the news here.Just that Paris Hilton has been set free and some woman's husband killed her(as if it's the first time that has happened in history).
QUOTE]

Paris is dead?? Thank God!!

Norman Atkinson
06-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Thanks all. As Uncle John has said- people are having to get on.
There is a dam sitting waiting to sever the main highway between the North and South. My family are working in Sheffield which is badly hit. My son in law is a heart surgeon and can hardly get through to the hospital.
I guess that half England is affected. John who is just south of the really worst bit, I hope that you and Gert are OK.

Thanks to our 'Empire' who have always been there. Great stuff.
0630AM Brit time- off to 'work' There is lots that even an old man like me can do!

Mike W
06-27-2007, 03:56 AM
Our average is 5" in the whole year. I can not imagine that much. Good luck to you.

Norman Atkinson
06-27-2007, 04:18 AM
Thanks Mike!

Reports are coming in that 2 million houses are affected and that the cost will be 4 Billion dollars. At the moment, the score is 10 inches of rain.

My concern is not your Home Workshops but how others can be helped.
I'm out again tonight but I don't sleep much anyway.

Looks as if my neck of the woods is next for the storm.
Oh, well! If I have been in under the barrage of artillery in the past, this is going to different. Hey Ho!

Cheers

Norm

Rex
06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
I feel your pain.
I'm in Ft Worth TX and it's rained nearly every day for several months. Major flooding last week, now more today. Up to 5 inches predicted today, and rain in the forcast for the next week.

Oh, and my roof is leaking. Won't stop raining long enough to get it fixed.

We are sick of it!

old-biker-uk
06-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Me ? - I'm gonna build a big boat & start collecting animals.
The only time there was sunshine this summer, I was in Spain - in the snow !
Mark

tattoomike68
06-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Me ? - I'm gonna build a big boat & start collecting animals.
The only time there was sunshine this summer, I was in Spain - in the snow !
Mark

We feel for you man..We really do. I wish I could see more of the news from GB.

Build a barge and put your home on it is a fine idea..

Peter N
06-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Tattoomike, you can get all the latest UK (and World) news direct from the BBC on their news website here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Peter

Norman Atkinson
06-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Mark,

Me, me, me or Moo, Moo, Moo.

Yes, Yes or Noah, Noah.

Our turn, today. Tried to get out tonight. Charity 'do'- you know. Water coming off the fields.
I put cheque in post. Hope the Postman can swim!

Trying to get to Scotland. Old Lady will be 80.Widdy woman, her husband flew carrier deck Spitfires- that sort of thing- in the Korean 'balls up'
Ord temp is going to be 5C so where she she lives is going to be ice.
Snowed there- 14 days ago.

Hope you are missing the worst. Regards to you and yours!

Norm

Sounds like you American boys are also up sh1t's creek without a paddle.

HWooldridge
06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
17" fell in Marble Falls yesterday - 80 miles up the road from me. Most of the city near the river is gone...but it will be really bad as the crest goes downstream and floods all those other poor souls downstream. I was also living here in '98 when 26" fell on us in 48 hours. We are on a slight hill and were surrounded by water for a couple of days. About 500 homes disappeared along the Guadalupe.

Peter N
06-28-2007, 03:52 AM
17" fell in Marble Falls yesterday

You Texans always have to have it bigger then anyone else :D

More seriously though, that's an ungodly amount of rain to fall in such a short period, and I can't imagine the sort of devastation it's going to cause.

Bloody world weather is all going to cock everywhere.
Apocalypse anyone?

Peter

Timleech
06-28-2007, 04:26 AM
There were pics on the telly this morning of the mess left behind at Sheffield Forgemasters -

http://www.sheffieldforgemasters.com/sfm/news/recent

though the guy they interviewed seemed fairly philosophical & upbeat about it all.

Tim

lynnl
06-28-2007, 03:10 PM
It's hard to feel sympathy for areas being inundated by rain when you're in the midst of record drought conditions. :)

"Envy" is the more appropriate term.

Asquith
06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I must admit to feeling very gloomy when I read Tim Leech's news about Sheffield Forgemasters this morning. They have a lot of very expensive machine tools, deep ingot pits, casting pits, vast quantities of moulding sand, furnaces, etc., so 6 ft of flood water sounded desparate. Probably not deep enough to reach the spindle height of the big lathes, though! When I've visited the works in the past, I've been very impressed by their 'can do' attitude, but even so, having looked at the updated link, I'm amazed that they've managed to restart production so soon.

bhjones
06-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Respectfully, what do you want/expect? Piles of cash, U.S. service personnel to swoop in and make it all go away? Maybe just someone to lash out at.

As others have noted, this story is getting spotty to non existent coverage in the U.S. media. Once the story breaks the citizens of this country will surely donate to non governmental aid organizations as they always do. I'd also guess that if the powers in the U.K. called the powers in the U.S. they'd get anything they needed or wanted. Why would we say no, you're our brothers after all.

Dunkirk, Battle of Britan, The U.S. ducking again? This thread could go completely off the rails and devolve into a brisk discussion about Neville Chamberlain and why the U.K. kept it's head in the sand and ignored Churchill, but I would find that rather distasteful and completely outside the realm of this forum, much like your comments.

"Shame on you!", indeed.

Our turn- folks.
Half of England is still underwater and the experts predict more to come.
If I recall we, ordinary old men contributed the first million dollars to the 'Twin Towers' and in New Orleans, we did it again.
Up to 7" of rain fell in a day or so. We are helping again in what is for England another 'Dunkirk' or Battle of Britain.

Are you leaving it to the Old Battle Weary Vets- most of are, to help these people?

Shame on you!

bhjones
06-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know if Tim Leech's shop has been flooded? If I recall, it's right next to a canal .

I must admit to feeling very gloomy when I read Tim Leech's news about Sheffield Forgemasters this morning. They have a lot of very expensive machine tools, deep ingot pits, casting pits, vast quantities of moulding sand, furnaces, etc., so 6 ft of flood water sounded desparate. Probably not deep enough to reach the spindle height of the big lathes, though! When I've visited the works in the past, I've been very impressed by their 'can do' attitude, but even so, having looked at the updated link, I'm amazed that they've managed to restart production so soon.

aboard_epsilon
06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Respectfully, what do you want/expect? Piles of cash, U.S. service personnel to swoop in and make it all go away? Maybe just someone to lash out at.

As others have noted, this story is getting spotty to non existent coverage in the U.S. media. Once the story breaks the citizens of this country will surely donate to non governmental aid organizations as they always do. I'd also guess that if the powers in the U.K. called the powers in the U.S. they'd get anything they needed or wanted. Why would we say no, you're our brothers after all.

Dunkirk, Battle of Britan, The U.S. ducking again? This thread could go completely off the rails and devolve into a brisk discussion about Neville Chamberlain and why the U.K. kept it's head in the sand and ignored Churchill, but I would find that rather distasteful and completely outside the realm of this forum, much like your comments.

"Shame on you!", indeed.

dont expect any, we have only just paid off the war dept to them this year ...

our money being paid back plus lots and lots of ineterest ...is what helped the USA make many gains after the war ...
what with other things, like being made share ideas...like the jet engine ...the basics for the first computers,,,,,swept wings...which helped them break the sound barrier etc etc etc ...

all the best....mark

Timleech
06-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know if Tim Leech's shop has been flooded? If I recall, it's right next to a canal .

So far so good, luckily they've kept the levels pretty well controlled here.

Cheers
Tim

Norman Atkinson
06-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Perhaps the answer to the Brett Jones comments is to say that on sunday the 11th Seotember 1939 at 11AM I listened to Neville Chamberlain declare war on Nazi Germany and Italy. I lived through the bombing and saw the Battered Boys come home from Dunkirk and the village nurse cutting the grey army socks out of the blood blisters. I was with my father as we pulled the fuses out of the incendiaries with a 500KG bomb ticking.
I was there with the Home Guard- Dad's Army and learned how to steal detonators to- well- become a dead hero.
A year or so after the war, I was to change my Royal Observer Corps flashes for my Royal Air Force 'seagulls' I was the youngest Corporal in the RAF having as a recruit refused my commission in the field.

I still march with my Squadron. I earned my spurs.

Sir, if you can you can better the old man- speak up.
if you can't- give your arse a chance.

Craig Foster
06-28-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't like the direction this is taking...