PDA

View Full Version : Looking for article on new cone pulleys for old SB

Lee in Texas
06-27-2007, 01:33 AM
It was in the last couple of years. I believe the title of the article said something about hot-rodding a South bend. It showed how to make pulleys for use with modern V-rib belts and offered two more steps.

I'm away from home (and my backissues) for a while, but I'd love to read this one. I want to mail order materials and get started on it when I'm back home for good.

Thanks, Lee

oldtiffie
06-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Deleted/edited-out

JCHannum
06-27-2007, 07:32 AM
I believe he is looking for a magazine article. There is an archive of all articles that can be accessed from the home page.

While I cannot locate it, I do recall it. If memory serves, it involved casting or fabricating a new pulley and machining. It ended up with a four or five groove pulley, adding more speed range to the lathe.

Unless the aditional speeds are desired, using an automotive serpentine belt will solve many of the problems associated with a flat belt drive.

Craig Foster
06-27-2007, 08:23 AM
"Hot-Rodding a 9" South Bend Lathe" by Peter Verbree in the July/August 2006 issue of Home Shop.

For some reason I thought it was in Machinist's Workshop, so I spent about 15 minutes looking through the past couple years of MW looking for it. Finally looked through Home Shop on a whim and found it. I guess I can't rely on memory anymore.

Craig

Lee in Texas
06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey that's the article. I searched the site but didn't find it posted here. Any way I could get an e-mailed or snail-mailed copy of that article?

Thanks, Lee

Craig Foster
06-27-2007, 12:09 PM
PM sent

Craig

Lee in Texas
06-27-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help. My boss just told me that I'm going to Austin on business tomorrow. That's home, so I'll pick up the back issue then.

Thanks, Lee