PDA

View Full Version : Bought a lathe after 7 pints of stella?

Lurkerjo
06-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Having seen a couple of members have recently acquired (more?) CVA toolroom lathes, has anyone ever done as I did in the title, and bought a CVA- or any other heavy object after imbibing?

Timleech
06-28-2007, 08:00 AM
I usually bid with a sniping program, it (almost) avoids that sort of trouble.
Was your lathe the one in Hebden Bridge or thereabouts, & was it any good?

Tim

Lurkerjo
06-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Timleech,

Yes it was- I seem to remember putting in a smaller bid, but hey what the heck, I was happy!
PS I did see that it had the taper turning attachment bolted on.(Before bidding)

Is yours a semi metric lathe?. This one has metric crossfeed, topslide, tailstock and rack but an imperial leadscrew? Also the screwcutting changedial has threads per inch but feeds per mm marked on it. Also taper has Degrees and mm per Dm marked. I would like to get hold a set of metric change gears for this machine. A part of the apron is missing, on RHS which would have the thread dial and the lower part a bracket for F/R switch.

You have more experience with yours! Good luck

Jozef

chrisfournier
06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I've seen guys propose marriage after 7 pints of Stella - and yes - some of them got some pretty heavy equipment in the end...

Timleech
06-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Timleech,

Yes it was- I seem to remember putting in a smaller bid, but hey what the heck, I was happy!
PS I did see that it had the taper turning attachment bolted on.(Before bidding)

Is yours a semi metric lathe?. This one has metric crossfeed, topslide, tailstock and rack but an imperial leadscrew? Also the screwcutting changedial has threads per inch but feeds per mm marked on it. Also taper has Degrees and mm per Dm marked. I would like to get hold a set of metric change gears for this machine. A part of the apron is missing, on RHS which would have the thread dial and the lower part a bracket for F/R switch.

You have more experience with yours! Good luck

Jozef

The one I've just won is semi-metric, like yours. No taper turning, but I already have one with TT.
I've got what is allegedly a full set of Metric changewheels which came with another lathe, I haven't yet sorted through them but intend to try them out with this newest lathe. They're a mix of two different DP, presumably for space reasons.
I was a bit wary of yours because the bed looked rather rusty in the pics on ebay. I know digital pics do seem to exaggerate rust for some reason, has it cleaned up OK?

Tim

rkepler
06-28-2007, 10:55 AM
I've got what is allegedly a full set of Metric changewheels which came with another lathe, I haven't yet sorted through them but intend to try them out with this newest lathe. They're a mix of two different DP, presumably for space reasons.

Probably a lot like the Monarch 10EE - it uses 16DP gears through the imperial gear train, but to fit a 127 tooth transposing gear had to drop to 32DP, so the reverse shaft gets one of about 8 gears in 32DP and various tooth counts, meshing with a 127 transposer mounted to a 60 tooth 16DP to continue the gear train as normal. I've got some docs if you might find them useful. I have the 127 tooth 32DP (not mounted to another gear as yet) but haven't made any of the other gears.

Charles Ping
06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
snipped...

I would like to get hold a set of metric change gears for this machine. ......

So would I - I suppose they'll go on that long list of "things to do".
They're a mix of 16DP and 32DP but what PA?

Charles

John Stevenson
06-28-2007, 05:38 PM
So would I - I suppose they'll go on that long list of "things to do".
They're a mix of 16DP and 32DP but what PA?

Charles

14.5 PA on both.

aostling
06-28-2007, 05:42 PM
I've seen guys propose marriage after 7 pints of Stella - and yes - some of them got some pretty heavy equipment in the end...

For the benefit of us former drinkers, what is Stella? Seems like a funny name for a beer.

matador
06-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I assume they are referring to "Stella Artois".French beer?They have some semi-humorous ads on tv for it in these parts.

lazlo
06-28-2007, 06:31 PM
For the benefit of us former drinkers, what is Stella? Seems like a funny name for a beer.

Stella Artois -- a good Belgium pilsner lager. It's very popular with the Brits, and has recently become very trendy in the US.

rgbai
06-29-2007, 03:18 AM
let the booze do the thinking for you.thats what i do

A.K. Boomer
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Having seen a couple of members have recently acquired (more?) CVA toolroom lathes, has anyone ever done as I did in the title, and bought a CVA- or any other heavy object after imbibing?

Wow, this post cracked me up, iv bought a few trinkets while inebriated and then wondered what the ups truck was doing at my house several days later but a lathe? Lurkerjo you have a serious problem, and Rgbai your not helping with your advise "let the booze do the thinking for you" What the hell is that?,,, some guy wants to get ahold of some quality machinery and ends up with a box full of blow up plastic girls and some aqua lube --- Not that thats ever happend to me, but I could see how it could --- not that it has, but still - could see how it could...

Timleech
06-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Wow, this post cracked me up, iv bought a few trinkets while inebriated and then wondered what the ups truck was doing at my house several days later but a lathe? Lurkerjo you have a serious problem, and Rgbai your not helping with your advise "let the booze do the thinking for you" What the hell is that?,,, some guy wants to get ahold of some quality machinery and ends up with a box full of blow up plastic girls and some aqua lube

Well luckily LJ does seem to be happy with his purchase ;)
I'm going for another look over mine tonight, see if it looks the same now that I'm committed to buying it :rolleyes:
I was (fairly) sober when I pressed the button, so no-one to blame but me.

Tim

Lurkerjo
06-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Actually it happened the other way round, I thought I had bought a pallet of inflatable dolls weighing 3300 pounds and later a truck turned up with a lathe on it.

Thats why I had to join this board.

Timleech
06-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Probably a lot like the Monarch 10EE - it uses 16DP gears through the imperial gear train, but to fit a 127 tooth transposing gear had to drop to 32DP, so the reverse shaft gets one of about 8 gears in 32DP and various tooth counts, meshing with a 127 transposer mounted to a 60 tooth 16DP to continue the gear train as normal. I've got some docs if you might find them useful. I have the 127 tooth 32DP (not mounted to another gear as yet) but haven't made any of the other gears.

I've just checked what I have, without actually setting any up, it appears that the main metric threads are done with 32 dp gears throughout. The manual refers to a set of 14, I have 13 plus a second 127t. (plus a 100t 16 dp) It looks as though the extra 127 is used as an idler in some setups.
Quite possible that mixing the two tooth gear pitches could be useful for some other threads.

Cheers
Tim

jkilroy
06-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Nothing like rolling over in the morning, after an evening of extended drinking...

"Oh Sh*&!, who in the he(* is THAT!"

Lurkerjo
07-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks for info on metric screwcutting gears.

Timleech- yes it did clean up ok for the most part and I am happy with my (impulse!) purchase.

PS The heaviest thing I have woken up next to was in my student days and fortunately it only weighed 130 pounds!

John Stevenson
07-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Well about three months ago this truck pulls up and the guy driving says " I've got that lathe you bought "
Methinks "what lathe":confused:, goes outside and there's an ML7 on a stand on the back of this pickup truck.

Are you sure you've got the right place ? after all you can normally remember buying something as big as a lathe on it's stand.

You John stevenson ? , yup, OK it's yours then.
Bump , bang, crash and I was the new owner of a ML7. Presumably I had been the 'owner' for some time as no money changed hands, I can't remember buying OR paying for it.

Sold the stand, sold the chucks and clutch and now left with a bare lathe now suitable for spares but I still wonder where it came from........

oldtiffie
07-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Deleted/erased-out

oldtiffie
07-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Deleted/erased-out

Timleech
07-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks for info on metric screwcutting gears.

Timleech- yes it did clean up ok for the most part and I am happy with my (impulse!) purchase.

The standard metric set seems to be (all 32 dp):-

48, 48, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 72, 75, 80, 85, 127, 127, 152.

If you already have those, it looks as though the ones needed to do BA threads are:-

43, 48 (again), 56, 59, 66, 73, 81

I might have a go at making a set of those when I've nothing else to do :D :D
I can make two or possibly 4 sets at once on my hobber, any takers for a set? Or anyone fancy turning up two sets of blanks & getting one set back with teeth?

There was also a set of 45 changewheels for 'additional pitches 1 - 308 tpi'. I don't think I'll go there, though ;)

Tim

John Stevenson
07-01-2007, 02:19 PM
What about the DP set and Module set ?

Charles Ping
07-01-2007, 02:41 PM
The standard metric set seems to be (all 32 dp):-

48, 48, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 72, 75, 80, 85, 127, 127, 152.

If you already have those, it looks as though the ones needed to do BA threads are:-

43, 48 (again), 56, 59, 66, 73, 81

I might have a go at making a set of those when I've nothing else to do :D :D
I can make two or possibly 4 sets at once on my hobber, any takers for a set? Or anyone fancy turning up two sets of blanks & getting one set back with teeth?

Sounds like a good idea.
Contact me when your email starts behaving

Charles

Lurkerjo
07-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Timleech,

I could be a taker for a set. LJ

John Stevenson
07-21-2007, 06:06 AM
What about this same set on Ebay for a Monach ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170131812178

Should be a straight fit :D :D

How can a set of gears originally cost $10,000 ? The mind boggles..........

Timleech
07-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Timleech,

I could be a taker for a set. LJ

The metric or the BA?

I'll probably be doing both eventually.
They might be a bit less than $10,000 :D :D

Actually the Monarch ones are less versatile, their compound gears are fixed together. The CVA style is demountable, to enable their use in the BA setup.

Tim

pistonskirt
07-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Tim

I may be interested in some change gears if indeed they are a large "bit under 10,000".

I finaly found a 1A series 3 but wont have time to start going through it until next weekend.

regards

Brian

Timleech
07-22-2007, 03:28 PM
I finaly found a 1A series 3 but wont have time to start going through it until next weekend.

regards

Brian

Is that the 'candle lathe' by any chance
;)

Tim

Lee in Texas
07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
I just wonder why you were drinking Stella Artois. That stuff is like Bud Light from Belgium. Go get a good Porter or Hefe Weizen. Remember- hops are best used in moderation.:D

Carl
07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
...this must be the culprit here...
http://conservativehome.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/stella_artois.jpg

pistonskirt
07-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Is that the 'candle lathe' by any chance

*LMAO*..... Yes indeed it is, though I was not aware of the ebone auction until after I had purchased it (having heard about the lathe purely by chance through a customer) so my eyebrow had not been raised by the somewhat curious sounding description.......However the candle turning duty is in fact true, whether for all or just part of its life I do not yet know, it is stretching the imagination to think that someone would spend 28,000 on a lathe purely to turn candles.

I will have a much better clue when I have cleaned down & inspected the machine, the candle wax does seem to have done a pretty good job of protecting it during its 18 months stored in a damp stone barn but looks like being a bugger to clean off.

regards

Brian