PDA

View Full Version : Dave E. Cofer Do you own an LeBlond

garyphansen
06-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Dave: I seem to recall that you own a LeBlond Lathe. If I remember correctly, please tell me about it. I just bought a 1909 14" change gear lathe. It seems to be in good shape for 98. I have spent 10-15 hours cleaning and painting it. Gary P. Hansen http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/garyphansen/IM000080.jpg

bhjones
06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Looks like fun. How will you power the spindle?

A big old lathe in the 16" swing range is something I'd like to refurbish and add to the shop some day.

Dawai
06-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi.

Mines a 1951 Leblond regal, 14"x30" with geared head.

A nice size for a home shop. It keeps cutting and running fine. There sounds like a chipped gear in the headstock, but Not a bad noise so it keeps going. The chuck seal throws oil on you, accumulating over a hour or more to make spots on your face. L00 spindle with a 100lb 4 jaw that will mash the heck outa your fingers, I rigged a lift for the trolley over it to change them out. I tried to use some t-clamps to turn a plate here recently but that didn't work for me. It kept vibrating loose. It's butted up behind the bridgeport cnc, I was going to mount a tool post on the cnc table and make some "creative" cuts on the lathe. I am not as comfortable in the shop as I was when the two machines were front to front and I could work the two at the same time. I ran a dial indicator up and down the bed from the cnc table till I got it within 10thou in the 12" stroke of the cnc. THEN I bolted the two down right there. I got a carbide grinder mounted on a 1/2" plate on top of the gear head.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Lerblond_lathe_001.jpg

It's old, paid for, keeps on going and going.. Needs paint and a light rebuild.

Yours looks interesting, I got a Cinncinatti 24"x120" lathe in the middle of the building.. old flat belt headstock, 4 speed gearbox, 5hp motor. I tried to give it away several times, it weighs a enormous amount of iron. TOPheavy too.. I rolled it over and it took out the end wall. Took all New years eve to raise it back up on it's pedastel. The guy almost rolled the large rollback bringing it onto my hill.. You can chuck a motorcycle rim in the 4jam. Not been powered in years now. It rumbles the whole slab when it runs.

garyphansen
06-29-2007, 05:53 PM
I am making a pedestal motor drive jack shaft out of a few layers of oak plywood. (I just discovered a made in China on the plywood) It will hinge at the floor and I will mount a shaft and pillow blocks on it. The shaft and pillow blocks came from a friends old 14" table saw. on the shaft I will mount a 12" dia oak drive pullie and make a steped cone pullie out of cherry. It came with an old GE motor that I will also mount on the pedestal. The motor will drive a 2" flat belt and that will drive the jack shaft. A 2" drive belt from the jack shaft will drive the lathe. The fastest speed will be 750 rpm, about twice as fast as LeBlond intended. Gary P. Hansen

garyphansen
06-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Dave: The Regals were about twice the lathe that an equal sized South Bend was. My "new" 14" LeBlond will turn 15.25"Dia. I guess back in 1909 they wanted to make sure you got what you paid for. Do you cover your lathe when you use your grinder? Gary P. Hansen

Doozer
06-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Holy god! Get that grinder far away from that lathe! The GRIT will DESTROY the ways! Put the grinder in a different room even! Way way way way way way BAD!!!
--Doozer

Dawai
06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
I can't think of another place to put that grinder.

The grit helps polish the "red rust" off that gets on everything here in the south. (not really) thou the chuck does have fingerprints on it at times. There's enough oil on everything that gets wiped off each use to take care of any settling.

Not enough grit coming off that grinder to get on anything. I do have a old apron I lay across it if I am going to do more than a touch up. I am more worried about the water in the cup over the oil in the gearbox. Moisture creates a acid when mixed with oil.

GUYS< this is a fab shop not a museum, corrosive welding smoke, grinding dust on everything, coolmist tank with mice floating in it, then the "derusting" going on with the paint mist floating here and there. Then there is the funk'n Gunk. Beer bottles make red rusty rings on the mill table.
These tools are expendable Used hard and I'd like for them to make it till I am done with them, but if not? ohh well... I got a checkbook, note the full buckets of shavings and chip pan.

Mcgyver
06-29-2007, 09:36 PM
i don't David, i know you take pride in as a working shop vs whatever, but the grinding will spray a certain amount grit onto the lathe its your shop but why damage or hasten stuff wearing out? what about a piece pipe welded to a rim filled with concrete if there's not bench space left

first lathe i bought in hindsight must have been used for grinding. here's a shot of 'acme cross feed screw' knew more when i bought the second one

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/michael0100/crossfeedscrew.jpg

Dawai
06-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Probably had a grinding toolpost huh?

No floor space left for a grinder base. I got 2x2 sockets out in the other side to mount things like the grinder, A 2x2 sq tube makes a quick mount. Where I had the carbide grinder on the 50ton press now resides a swing-arm and spot welder. I'm still moving things about trying to get more use out of the small building I have. Right now it's on the lathe or out in the yard.

I could give up my barbers chair, but not "no" but "hell no". That is the most relaxing place in the shop. I had a dentists chair... It was in the tattoo bus.. When I went to retrieve it, Bobby complained I was taking his "sex" chair with electric lift for the right height.. I did not want that chair after that.. I used to fall asleep in it everytime I'd sit in it anyways, nothing like falling to sleep while running machinery.

Scishopguy
06-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Dave,

The shop at the university that I worked in had an old LeBlond just like yours. It came from govt. surplus and was from Oak Ridge national laboratory. We got it from another shop on campus when they got a new 10" EE. They said it was worn out but we used it for years and made close tolerance parts with it. The scraping on the ways was gone on the end near the headstock but not on the tail end. It had a click in the gear train in one range but not all. It was a fine machine. I was looking for one like it when I bought my machines but no luck. I ended up with a Clausing 1448. Not quite as nice but good for what I paid.

Dawai
06-30-2007, 06:45 PM
All the TVA Hydro plants in the area have a lebond just like mine, also fully equipped and with taper follower.. I drooled everytime I passed by.. BUT I Never succumbed to taking a single piece of tooling.

My mama took me back to the store with that snickers bar when I was 5...

bhjones
06-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Sometime around 1978 (I was 9 or so) it was back to Fred Myers with a Starwars toy I'd made off with. She loaded my sister and I into the car then told me where we were going and why while in route. I was sweating bullets.

All the TVA Hydro plants in the area have a lebond just like mine, also fully equipped and with taper follower.. I drooled everytime I passed by.. BUT I Never succumbed to taking a single piece of tooling.

My mama took me back to the store with that snickers bar when I was 5...

garyphansen
06-30-2007, 10:26 PM
I hate to think of how I would have turned out if not for my mother! Gary P. Hansen

garyphansen
06-30-2007, 10:33 PM
. "The chuck seal throws oil on you, accumulating over a hour or more to make spots on your face" A jury rigged fix would be some cotton rope around the spindle. Gary P. Hansen

Dawai
06-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah, Ocoee had a Heavy Southbend 10 with all the tooling available. I keep watching TVA auctions for a deal on them old lathes, they have some radial drills too I LOVE using. (about three tons thou) Last one was in raccoon Mountain.

Most them old tools they bought to use to keep the plants running should be in a museum. Mostly they farm out the machine work.

Gary:
I think that seal was rope anyways. I used to wrap string around car rear axle pumpkins when they'd leak. Not sure how that'd work with the quick change chuck.

Mark F. Cheney
12-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I am making a pedestal motor drive jack shaft out of a few layers of oak plywood. (I just discovered a made in China on the plywood) It will hinge at the floor and I will mount a shaft and pillow blocks on it. The shaft and pillow blocks came from a friends old 14" table saw. on the shaft I will mount a 12" dia oak drive pullie and make a steped cone pullie out of cherry. It came with an old GE motor that I will also mount on the pedestal. The motor will drive a 2" flat belt and that will drive the jack shaft. A 2" drive belt from the jack shaft will drive the lathe. The fastest speed will be 750 rpm, about twice as fast as LeBlond intended. Gary P. Hansen

Flat pullies are still available in steel and aluminum, and in widths. Unless you're useing oak for a special purpose.

Mark F. Cheney