PDA

View Full Version : my airbag problem

Alistair Hosie
06-30-2007, 01:13 PM
I have noticed that a dark oil like patch has developed around the glove compartment of my dashboard just around the word airbag.It looks as if someone sprayed it with wd40 and left it to dry it is not wet to the touch has my airbag leaked or what seems to me the only likely explanation amny help would be appreciated Alistair

dp
06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Given the explosive power of those bag launchers it's worth having a qualified dealer look at it. They're also not cheap. More than one car has gone to the wrecking yard rather than having that part replaced.

Wirecutter
06-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Shoot. I thought, looking at the subject line, that we were to be treated to another of Alstair's humorous anecdotes on the joys of married life. :D

Seriously though, I'd echo what dp said. The first step in anything having to do with working near airbags is to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a long time. The idea is to attempt to deprive the firing circuit from the power it needs to activate. I still wouldn't trust it - I've had one go off in my face in an accident.

Don't let anyone try to tell you that an airbag is anything less than a small bomb. We want to keep you around.

On the other hand, I thought airbags were mostly dry and powdery things. Could the leak (or stain?) have come from something above or elsewhere in the car? Have you cleaned it off and had it come back? You must have already checked for this...

-Mark

tattoomike68
06-30-2007, 02:17 PM
The explosive in air bags is a tablet like an aspirin. I dont think what you see is from it.

Airbags are nothing to fool with, a locksmith told me he is very careful around them.

Kenb
06-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Do a search on Youtube - lots of airbag fooling going on there...

ie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbJnCBK2ZU0

platypus2020
06-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Alistair,

Have it checked by a professional, I had one go off, for no reason in my Chevy van, scared the cr*p out of me, was doing 65 mph, then bang. Luckly no hurt, was replaced by the insurance co, when it was replaced, the dealer said one had gone off during installation, about a year before, causing injury to the installer.

Jack

Alistair Hosie
06-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I intend to buy a new car this september as then it becomes 3 years old and I always replace at 3 years before major tests ,when cars can sometimes need new tyres brakes exhaust etc etc etc so I phoned the company I deal with they said they will inspect it as I got extended 3 years warranty it will cost me nothing so I would just like to make sure the new owner is not buying a problem with his purchase thanks so far I believe it is just a stain but will soon find out regardsAlistair

Weston Bye
06-30-2007, 05:11 PM
The explosive in air bags is a tablet like an aspirin. I dont think what you see is from it.

Airbags are nothing to fool with, a locksmith told me he is very careful around them.

Things may have changed, but some years ago I built a control system for an airbag packaging machine. Back then, the propellant, sodium azide, came in big pellets about 2" in diameter and 1" thick. A stack of about a dozen of these filled a canister. A few years after I installed the machine, the loading room, a few work stations up the line from the machine I worked on, where a robot loaded the canisters, exploded, blowing out the walls. Poor ol' robot.:(
Anyway, the tablets were dry and not likely to leak.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought Alistair might need advice on bagpipe repair.

The Doctor
06-30-2007, 07:55 PM
My guess would be oil from a leaky refrigerant line. Saw that on a BMW once, customer complained of oil leak in glove compartment. I thought it was a joke when I picked up the repair order, but it turned out to be a leaking A/C line.

Ed

Rustybolt
06-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Things may have changed, but some years ago I built a control system for an airbag packaging machine. Back then, the propellant, sodium azide, came in big pellets about 2" in diameter and 1" thick. A stack of about a dozen of these filled a canister. A few years after I installed the machine, the loading room, a few work stations up the line from the machine I worked on, where a robot loaded the canisters, exploded, blowing out the walls. Poor ol' robot.:(
Anyway, the tablets were dry and not likely to leak.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought Alistair might need advice on bagpipe repair.

We put the locktight on the threads of the empty cannisters for an airbag vendor. Once they sent us a rush order of several dozen. When the plant supervisor opened the box and found that the cannisters were loaded, he evacuated the plant and called the vendor to come and take back their cannisters as we couldn't ship them. One of their people had to drive from somewhere in Michigan to come and get them. I understand several people got fired over this.

Alistair Hosie
07-01-2007, 06:01 AM
WES I have a large lump in one of my testicles turns out to be an epididimal cyst not life threatening and I just live with it anyway you were right I do need a bag pipe repair:DAlistair

John Stevenson
07-01-2007, 06:07 AM
WES I have a large lump in one of my testicles Alistair

Now that's what you call a load of bollocks................

oldtiffie
07-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Deleted/edited-out

John Stevenson
07-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Still got the same ISP and it seems as if were are sorted for the time being.

Turns out it was a series of unrelated events that all came together.
ISP had newsgroup issues.
Flooding caused connection issues.
Our modem which is special to the cable co went on intermittant and becasue of the floodng problems the cable co were run off their feet.

They quoted 7 days to get an engineer at first which I thought was too much.
Then I realised that we had only lost our internet connection when other still had homes 8 feet under water which was a just a tad selfish. Just got on with things, work has been very busy as the motor people have been going stupid drying out flooded motors and doing pump repairs.

The shop has been knee deep in pumps and housings, still got some to do next week.

Engineer called out the blue on Friday night, swopped the modem and got it registed and we are back up and running.

Rustybolt
07-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Sir John said, Now that's what you call a load of bollocks................

Well. Load of bollock to be precise. We are model engineers, after all.

Weston Bye
07-01-2007, 10:30 AM
WES I have a large lump in one of my testicles turns out to be an epididimal cyst not life threatening and I just live with it anyway you were right I do need a bag pipe repair:DAlistair

Getting a bit personal here. Happened to me, too. I guess I am more qualified than I thought to give advice on this topic: It may or may not go away, but mostly harmless. May cause you to walk with an uneven gait. I advise adding ballast to the other side.:D

A.K. Boomer
07-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Airbags shake me up a little just handeling them, iv had to remove them to get to steering shafts and such,,, always treat them like a loaded gun, When handeling act like the bag part is the butt of the gun, dont point the canister at you or someone else, better to get hit with the bag then the metal container, if it went off in a car interiour and the bag was against the dash and the canister pointed at your head it could be lethal,,, I dont know if a static charge from your own body could set them off or not but I wouldnt want to find out --- I also never heard of one "leaking",,, I thought they were two different compounds that an electrical charge unites but that may be the old style...

Now for some added "mystery leak" Data on things I have seen over the years, actually seen this two times now ---
A bad speedo drive seal can bring stinky 90wt. all the way up to the speedometer head and then spill it in the dash, it then leaks down and gets on the drivers shoes and or all the other components, what a mess, It takes just the wrong combo, all speedo cables have a spiral wind to them because they are rotating cables, they have a spiral outer wind and a spiral inner that is going the opposite direction, they can actually be used to transmit power in either direction but using the outer caseing in such a way that it actually "tightens the wind" is the strongest (because it is of course larger in diameter) and generally is the way they are designed to run, unfortunatly in this direction it turns the speedo cable into a "fluid pump" ( see "archimedian screw")--- So if your lower seal is bad It will literally drag fluid from a much lower place (transmission) and bring it up to the highest exit (speedometer) generally this will first start to happen on long trips or short back to back smaller trips as it takes time, I know a girl that got so disscusted with it that she was about to sell her car till I found out where it was coming from, still - it trashed the carpeting for a long time after....

Alistair Hosie
07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I must say seeing the news my heart goes out to our English brothers and sisters many of whom were not insured I hope the government helps some of them at least Alistair