PDA

View Full Version : Bonding titanium to aluminum tube

Eric Pfeifer
07-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Have a project where I need to bond a titanium insert into the end of a thin-walled aluminum tube. I tried aluminum solder with flux, but the solder didn't bond with the titanium. I suppose epoxy might be the next try. These tubes are used to adjust overcoil dampers in a track racing car, and have 2 mm Allen wrenches in their ends. They need to stand up to severe vibration and many cycles of clockwise/counterclockwise torsion. I figured I would try a titanium insert to hold the Allen key (tight press fit into a 2 mm hole). The insert would then go into the end of the tube. But no luck. I guess I also could use a solid aluminum rod instead of the tube, with the cost of a little weight, and drill and press the Allen into the end of the rod. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Eric Pfeifer

J. Randall
07-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Eric, what about Loctites bearing locker. Would it work on those materials?
James

Swarf&Sparks
07-02-2007, 02:40 AM
Maybe a light knurl on the Ti then press and loctite?
Or a very fine thread on the Ti and just "self-tap" and loctite into the Al?

MCS
07-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Try Magnesium. Strong stuff. Parts feel like they are made of cardboard.

motomoron
07-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Leave about .002-.005 clearance, clean with brake kleen or acetone, use Loctite 860.

If you ever need to disassemble, use heat.

Or...

Make the whole thing from Ti, Tig the plug on, backpurging the inside of the assembly for the process.

FWIW, why an AL tube and TI plug?

A.K. Boomer
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Its tough to get a visual of what your doing but could the thinwall aluminum tube be "clamped" down onto the titanium insert? with perhaps a nice little full circle slotted type clamp? press in with loctite then clamp down...