PDA

View Full Version : Fake IRS Email

wmgeorge
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
These guys are getting good. Email from the IRS advising me that I had miss calculated and I had another $96.25 coming. Just need to log in with my SSN, and then give them my debit card info, all of it and it would go directly into my account. Duh. The hyper link on the email ! surprise ! was not leading to the IRS.gov but a JavaScript leading to a fake site that they must of spent some time on to make sure the links all worked. I wonder how many will fall for this one?

Ken_Shea
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I wonder how many will fall for this one?

Well, sadly, you know the old saying, "There is one born every second" so they can count on more than a couple.

I would spend more time elaborating on the above but I have to fill out a survey and for my time PayPal will deposit $80 for just a few minutes of my time, sweet deal !

J.Ramsey
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Shouldn't this be OT, which their seems to be an over abundance of lately I see no significance to machine work or HSM relevance.

Mad Scientist
07-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Shouldn't this be OT, which their seems to be an over abundance of lately I see no significance to machine work or HSM relevance.

No this is not related to machining.
But being taken in by a clever new scam CAN result in a loss of "shop time" as you try to repair the damage.

Ken_Shea
07-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Geeese JR, why take life so seriously that "OT" makes this post acceptable or not to you or anyone else for that matter.

I usually read these post to unwind not to continue the rat race of day to day requirements.

It's not a perfect world JR , there are people different than you ;)

J.Ramsey
07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
If people spent as much time taking life seriously whether it be their work ,hobbies,or volunteer time instead of stirring sh1t and gossiping maybe some of us might not wanna tune into CNN to unwind.
I never said or claimed that I was perfect or anything else,
In what short time that I've had a computer "six months" and watched this forum it has critics/smarta$$es thats for sure.
May be if the above said talked about something closer related to what this forum is titled it wouldn't sound so much like a bunch of old ladies arguing at a rummage sale.
Yes I know that I don't have to look here but neither do you, simply put at least state OT.
Besides the IRS can't eat you,they just make you feel that way.

Mike Burdick
07-03-2007, 03:19 AM
hmmmm....whether it's the IRS or some [other] crook, we’ll still get ripped off!

Ken_Shea
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Besides the IRS can't eat you,they just make you feel that way.

:D

J.Ramsey
07-03-2007, 11:46 PM
I've been audited three times since 1990 by the IRS,and twice by the state.
the first time I was scared s..tless the second time I got smart and hired a tax lawyer to go with me to the hearing it was well worth his fee, the third time we still haven't got things settled but it's twelve years ongoing so I'm not to worried. Just a piece of advice if you ever git called in for audit or exam of your income tax filing hire a tax lawyer that either has worked for the IRS or retired from that, they know all the angles and what ever's.
IMHO the IRS is just U.S. government approved theft.