PDA

View Full Version : Old scuba tanks

Rustybolt
07-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I'll just throw this out there. Anybody know of any alternate uses for these? I have a chance to pick up two of them. Steel from the 1990s

Rusty Marlin
07-03-2007, 09:07 AM
If the bottoms are cut off they make really cool gongs.

The usual safety diclaimers about cutting into pressure vessels applies.

A.K. Boomer
07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
To bad they cant be used to hold argon or something, they do sound like they would make a nice "he man" gong, something that only chimes in 80mph winds but when it does the whole niehborhood knows it...

thistle
07-03-2007, 09:24 AM
steel, cut the bottom ,weld lugs on it for a lead melting crucible , I have seen one -valve end cut and welded up to attach to a bench for forming metal.
other wise if you just cut off the valve end it can be use ful for quenching hot steel, ect, or fill with oil to soak rusty stuff,
i have a few cut off aluminium tanks get used as such , also for temp legs to make a low work table with a sheet of ply ect
i saw a tank used as the basis of a grinder stand , hole cut in it and filled with water for quenching...

IOWOLF
07-03-2007, 09:40 AM
IIRC they are rated at 3000# or so, so an air bubble at 200# or so wouldnt be out of the Question.
Also you could have it re Hydro'd and and valved & use them for a co2 or argon tank for a welder.

PTSideshow
07-03-2007, 10:32 AM
The gong idea is what I do with out of service O2 tanks, they are the far east temple style hanging from a wood cross brace on two uprights. they are bonged with large wood chunk hanging from another wooden frame or attached to the side of the hanging one. Melting pot the bottom for aluminum. They can be used for forming stakes inside and outside of the bottom and top. The tanks side sectioned can be worked into other forming stakes or a faux anvil horn when welded up with a section of Rail. With lights in the top and buried interesting path/driveway
markers. cut in sections and edge welded a gate if you had enough of them.
And if you are in an area with mail box vandals you can build a hardened mailbox:D

bhjones
07-03-2007, 12:35 PM
If they can be hydro'd and put back into service I'd go that route. A good tank has value. You could always sell them.

Are they low pressure steel or high pressure (2250psi or 3500psi)? The HP tanks are great to dive with.

I have a couple of steel 72 cubic foot tanks (2250psi) that I use as air sources for blow guns. They sit next to my computer workbench to blow the dust out of the cases when I'm servicing a machine. I use an old scuba first stage and the hose comes off a LP port. I happen to have a HP (5000psi) compressor so filling them is not an issue. It provides me with clean dry air, so no oil or moisture makes it onto any electronics.

Another use for old tanks I've recently run across is to use a couple of out of service steel SCBA tanks as the media storage vessel in a PA Blaster pressure pot style media blaster. I picked up the plans a few weeks ago and just started fab'n the tank yesterday.

I've cut the top and bottom off of one tank and just the bottom off the other. The cut off top gets inverted and welded back (creating a funnel shaped top aiding in filling with media) on and then the two sections are welded together. This gives me a vessel about 30" tall. The PA design uses less than 30psi in the vessel, so no worries in that department.

The left over round bottoms are going to be used as forming tools for sheet metal work.

madman
07-03-2007, 02:01 PM
I get mine charged over 3000 psi and use it to fill my pellet gun.

Rustybolt
07-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I like the blaster Idea. i'd like to turn one into that.

Weston Bye
07-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I had a neighbor that had access to Scott pack tanks. (firemen use them) He would take one with a regulator and air wrench to the junkyard to dismantle engines in place to check out the innards before buying.