PDA

View Full Version : OT:Antivirus can't connect to server

Sophiedoc
07-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks to Evan and others I am enjoying dsl via phone line hard wired through a router.Everything seems to work fine except Avast(free)which "can't connect to server for automatic upgrades.Tried reinstall with same error message.Is this a router problem,security settings etc.I am still using Win 98.Firefox and Thunderbird.

BadDog
07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
It's been ages since I fooled with or used AV, but as I recall, most do their updates via HTTP over port 80, and so should have no firewall issues. But perhaps check to see if it needs a specific port opened?

Second guess, are you running a separate net nanny program that blocks net access from all but approved applications? Or on Vista with UAC?

BadDog
07-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Just checked the old thread, Win98, so not a UAC issue. That's all that comes to mind.

Too_Many_Tools
07-04-2007, 12:38 AM
For what it is worth I have had problems with AdAware auto updating...I have to manually update. I never had a problem with it but I suspect the problem is with their server. The computer having the problem is on dialup.

TMT

Evan
07-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Has it ever connected to update? If so, what has changed recently? It is also not uncommon for the update servers to be busy.

Sophiedoc
07-04-2007, 09:54 AM
It would update OK before I hooked to dsl but a message would also pop up saying a newer version was available even though newer version seemed to install OK when downloaded.I removed all the previous avast and downloaded again when the problems began after dsl hookup.

Evan
07-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Most likely the newer version isn't compatible even though it seems to install ok. Win 98 is an officially dead operating system. Nobody is going to test their software on it.