X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • platypus2020
    • May 2007

new bench vise needed

I need a new bench vise, already have a Wilton 6" machinist vise, but would really like a vise with a swivel head. I don't want one of those cheap Chinesee swivel vises (available for HF for $65), were their 10 pounds of bondo and flexing swivel mount. I saw a vise in the enco catalog, model #428-8010, which seams a cut above the Chinesee model, has any one have one of these?

Jack
    jack
  • pntrbl
    • Aug 2006

I've had the same vise HF sells for several years now. Xmas present that cost my nephew $50 from Home Depot at the time.

It weighs 65lbs BTW. At $65 that makes it a dollar a pound and I haven't seen any Bondo. The paint hasn't held up all that well but an OA torch will do that! I haven't taken a hammer to the handle because that's what cracked my last Craftsman vice, , but really, I've been very happy with it.

Just my two cents. Not trying to influence your decision .....

SP

Comment

• platypus2020
      • May 2007

Pntrbl,

Have had 2 of the HF vises, thats why I need a new one, both were true POS, couldn't get the bases to lock down, and the other one, huge chucks, broke off. I will not buy another one. I truely glad yours appears to be of better quality than mine were, mine also didn't say Columbian casted in the side, just a paper sticker.

Jack
      jack

Comment

• PTSideshow
        • Nov 2005

Jack it must be your lucky day KBC tools has a flyer they sent out yesterday. Page 16 Part# 1-550-69999 http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm
        look down the right side for the salesr flyer and the open page 16 Wilton 5" Multi purpose vise $64.13
        The have numerous locations and do US and Canada.
        Glen
        Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
        I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
        All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• gsp
          • Feb 2006

I have both, the HF and the home depot wilton. The HF has held up better. The Wilton has lost most of its paint and has rust over most of it. And it is only a yr old.
          I to would like to see the palmgren that Enco is selling.

And I wont ever sell my 450s Wilton. I have been looking for a 2 1/2" Wilton bullet vise. I bid on one last week that went for 300.00.

Comment

• pntrbl
            • Aug 2006

Wow. After tearing up two I'd be looking for something else too. With Columbian on it maybe mine ain't Chinese. Altho it looks the same as the HF and also bears a remarkable resemblance to the Wilton for sale at KBC. Jeez. Who knows? In this day and age it could have come from anywhere on the globe.

SP

Comment

• cybor462
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by platypus2020
              Pntrbl,

Have had 2 of the HF vises, thats why I need a new one, both were true POS, couldn't get the bases to lock down, and the other one, huge chucks, broke off. I will not buy another one. I truely glad yours appears to be of better quality than mine were, mine also didn't say Columbian casted in the side, just a paper sticker.

Jack
              I hear that. I also have 2 of the HF vises, the big bad ones and I also find the lock down bolds strip out. Not a real problem to fix. Just pull it apart and replace the bolts and nuts. You can go american. I would go with a fine thread. Other than that the vises do well. I would spend 5 dollars on the new hardware before I spent 60+ for a whole new vise. That is stingy me anyway
              Mine did not lose chunks though.
              Life Is Grand

Comment

• TECHSHOP
                • Jan 2006

A "Columbian" vise would not have to be that old for it to be made in the USA. I don't know when this "pntrbl type" of vise was last made here. The newest stuff is made offshore. If the store you visit doesn't have a large "turn over" they may still have the "older" vices on the shelf.

"Columbian" and Wilton were/are related brands. I believe the "high end" Wilton vices are still made in the USA, but I haven't checked lately. Note that the "Wilton" name is being used on some import stuff, because "they" are trying to milk the "brand name". The "Columbian" and the Sears "clone" were made to a "price point", with the difference being paint color and where they were sold. Remember, SEARS, sells stuff, they don't make stuff. I don't know where or by whom the Crapsman vises on sale today are made.
                Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

• BadDog
                  • May 2006

I've got the 5" rotating "pipe vise" from HF. It's got the body filler finish, well chewed up after 7 years of beating on it and abusing it, but it's held up and works just fine. My only beef is that the mobile jaw tends to shift a bit if you don't crank it down, which you can't always do. Even cranked it can be persuaded to move if you're rough enough, which I often am working on heavy 4x4 stuff. Still, it's been well worth the money and I've not yet broken it. It's mounted on my welding table pretty much constantly and for a long time was my only vise.

I have a 5" Wilton Machinist's Vise on the grinding/cutting table/cart thing. It is SOOO much more pleasant to use and has v-slotted brass jaws. I use it a lot for holding stuff during (diss)assembly, for stoning, and generally less abusive work. I would probably use it more if it had a swivel base, I need to make one some day...

I recently picked up a Wilton 6” Mechanics Vise at the scrap yard for something like $10 as I recall. It is also mounted (currently) to my welding table and had been used in some sort of welding shop. It has some O/A gashes in the hard serrated jaws as well as heat damage to the paint, but otherwise is in fine shape. Like the HF, it also has a sloppy mobile jaw, but again, it has its purpose, which in my shop is for general abuse. And also like the HF vise, it often functions as a welding clamp, wailing on, or whatever. Things I would never use my Wilton Machinist’s Vise for…
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

• speedy
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by pntrbl
                    Wow. After tearing up two I'd be looking for something else too. With Columbian on it maybe mine ain't Chinese. Altho it looks the same as the HF and also bears a remarkable resemblance to the Wilton for sale at KBC. Jeez. Who knows? In this day and age it could have come from anywhere on the globe.SP
                    My old mate Andy has an identical one(?) that he bought from the local hardware supply some decades ago when his old conventional one died. It gets used daily.
                    Made in the USSR and solid as the proverbial.
                    Ken.

Comment

• Rustybolt
                      • Jul 2002

Without reading the other posts I'll tell you my experience. I have broken just about every imported vise made and one bottom of the line Starret. The only one I haven managed to break is an imported YUASA bench vise. Everything else is Wilton or some older american made vise. A cheap vise is only going to break sooner or later. Spend the money once.

Comment

• Frank Ford
                        • Dec 2003

Well then, on this point at least, maybe I'm a comparatively quick study. A few years ago I managed to crack my Chinese 5" vise plumb in half, looked all over town for a decent new replacement, and ended up ordering a new 6" Wilton machinist vise from Enco. It seemed expensive then, but by now I've forgotten the price and I'm really glad I stretched my credit card a bit at the time. . .

Cheers,

Frank Ford
                        FRETS.COM
                        Gryphon Stringed Instruments
                        My Home Shop Pages
                        Cheers,

Frank Ford
                        HomeShopTech

Comment

• wirewrkr
                          • Apr 2004

If you go on to EBAY, punch in RECORD VISE, you can find brand new old stock 4.5 inch made in Sheffield vices from a seller called SELL2ALL, I just bought my second Record from him, IT IS A BRUTE! and very well made. I really like it and it weighs a ton, it's the shiniest thing in the shop (next to my 4 day old Yamaha 1855cc Roadliner Midnight Special) YEs I'm gloating, couldn't help it.
                          Robert
                          grumpy old fart
                          www.wirewerkes.com

Comment

• platypus2020
                            • May 2007

Thank you for you posts, but I guess I confused the issue, I 'm not looking for a vise with a swivel base, I'm looking for a vise with a swiveling or rotating head assembly, similar in style to the HF vises stated earlier, but of better quality. If it was just a matter of a swivel base, I would buy another 6" Wilton, that I'm completely happy with. For the work I do, a rotating head assembly is really necessary, but after 2 of the HF vises, I need better.

Jack
                            jack

Comment

• Bguns
                              • Mar 2005

My 6 in Wilton, rebadged SNAP-ON on with swivel, has been taking all the abuse I can throw at it.... I pound, rivet, heat, and abuse the thing as a gunsmith, and it takes everything I can throw at it as a Gunsmith/Heavy Equipment repairman.
                              I have blown up a cheap Chinese vise in less than a week... Do not expect a 6 in vise that costs less less than ~$350.00 new, to hold up.... Old used English/US iron is out there tho..., I have not seen a 360 degree round ram style vise that was solid enough for real work, I bet the Russkies made one tho, but I would expect a weight of 125 lbs or better for that style to hold up.....If you need that sort of rotation, build a rotating stand for the Wilton......
                              Last edited by Bguns; 07-07-2007, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X