PDA

View Full Version : bought a bender for pipe

Alistair Hosie
07-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Guys I bought a pipe bender in a bag all the radiuses with it all complete however I find no instructions I bought it from a neighbour in a yard sale he has now gone can someone show me were on the internet it shows how to use a plumbers pipe bender ,should be easy enough Alistair

Your Old Dog
07-04-2007, 07:20 PM
,should be easy enough Alistair

Surely you jest :D If you just want to bend pipe just stick it between the three mandrels and start pumping the hydraulics !! But, if you want to bend a pipe in a very specific area to fit a very specific local with a precise angle then the question will involve some math and in my case, a lot of luck :D I just have a cheap Harbor Freight bender. I make the bend in the middle of the pipe and then cut off both ends to make it fit ! Very crude but nets acceptable results in most cases.

Good Luck and remember me to your wife! I'm hoping she'll tell me some day in the far distant future when your garage sale comes up, I'll fly over !!

All the best old friend,
ray..........

aboard_epsilon
07-04-2007, 07:57 PM
has to have a stand with it ...or you wont get anywhere fast.

dont think these english ones have hydraulics its all down to a bloody big handle and leverage.

all the best...mark

Evan
07-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Your neighbour is "gone"? What, gone home for supper or something more "permanent"?

Alistair Hosie
07-05-2007, 06:04 AM
no Evan he was moving house thats why he had a sale everyone else worked that out except you interesting.Alistair

oldtiffie
07-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Deleted/edited-out

oldtiffie
07-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Deleted/edited-out

Your Old Dog
07-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Alister,

any chance of putting a pic or two up?

I don't have a pipe bender.

Perhaps others can see what they've got in the way of instructions, and if they have, perhaps scan them and email or post them to you.

I agree with you. I would want to see the instructions very early in the piece as it not only has assembly instructions but user info as well.

I have been taught to be cautious and always read and keep my manuals etc. as it has paid off time after time.

Actually OldTiffe has a point there. I have 2 or 3 pages of stuff that came with mine. If it's at all similar I'd be glad to PDF them to you.

Evan
07-05-2007, 09:07 AM
o Evan he was moving house thats why he had a sale everyone else worked that out except you interesting.Alistair

Do you mean that there is an association between a yard sale and moving? Around here a yard sale is the most common springtime activity as people foist off their junk on somebody else and then next weekend go about buying other people's junk. It gives us all a chance to exchange junk at minimal cost each year. Nobody is ever actually moving, least of all their house.

Alistair Hosie
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Evan under normal circumstances you are correct but the addition of the words
I bought it from a neighbour in a yard sale he has now gone
suggest to most normal people that he has gone away and therefore I can no longer rely on him for advice therefore I am asking the kind people on this site.I feel you know this very well but as usual you like to draw things out to try to make others appear less intelligent that your good self.:DAlistair

GKman
07-05-2007, 01:46 PM
I found this on the net which looks pretty good. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html

Couple of things that I did that help.

I measured all of the radii of all of the dies and made a full sized dwg. showing the inside and outside line of a pipe bent in a "U" (180*). Put them all on the same dwg. on thin plywood with a common center point. Helps visualize what I'm doing.

Whenever I bend something I keep notes. I mark the center of the bend and a known distance on either side (say 20") When I have bent 90* or whatever I measure where the outside lines ended up using a carpenter's framing square on the outside of the bend. Usually handy to know the distance from the outside of one leg to where the curve ends on the other. My "U" chart may agree but it is theoretical. Also good to record if a long piece hits the drill press or whiskey still before I reach the desired bend.

Allan Waterfall
07-05-2007, 02:45 PM
For a normal manual plumbers pipe bender.

Measure the distance required from the end of the pipe to the outside of the bend and put a mark on the pipe.
Place the pipe in the bender and put the mark on a 90 degree tangent on the pipe to the outside of the wheel,no need to guess and have to cut any off.

Works everytime.

Allan

Evan
07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Evan under normal circumstances you are correct but the addition of the words
I bought it from a neighbour in a yard sale he has now gone
suggest to most normal people that he has gone away and therefore I can no longer rely on him for advice

I would have said "he has moved" or "he has left (town)". To me "he has gone" implies that he has shuffled off the mortal coil, departed from the earthly plane. In other words, he has gone and died, toes up, kicked the bucket.

Definitions of gone on the Web:

done for(p): destroyed or killed; "we are gone geese"
asleep(p): dead; "he is deceased"; "our dear departed friend"

Alistair Hosie
07-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Evan maybe its a difference in our cultures yes gone can mean dead but even if he were dead the fact is he would not be able to show me how it worked which was the main point of mentioning him in the first place wasn't it anyway it's as the Canadians say no biggy .also I would like to know if your dictionary is so clear and you bellieve gone is dead why did you say gone home for supper.Alistair

oldtiffie
07-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Deleted/edited-out

oldtiffie
07-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Deleted/edited-out

Evan
07-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Tiffie,

You read far to much into this. My middle name is Gordon.

oldtiffie
07-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Deleted/edited-out

Alistair Hosie
07-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Oldtiffie this is not hurtful to me but there have been at least 3 occassions when Evan tried to say that I did not have a clean home and that I do not find funny at all especially when he has never seen my home and like most things he operates on poor guess work and mistook my mud room every time for my kitchen.let it be known My wife and I have a very lovely home which is spotless so no more snide remarks on that score Evan please Alistair

PTSideshow
07-06-2007, 08:19 PM
In most areas of the USA plumbers do not bend pipe they use fittings to do corners and such pipefitters sometimes do use benders. but they just use mostly larger fitting:D If I remember
Union rules around Detroit is plumbers do 2 1/2" supply potable water anything above its the fitters and with the plastic PVC waste line up to 12" and 6/8" iron waste lines anything larger its the fitters. Again its all fittings and straight sections.:D
Don't know why it is so other than some of them I met and worked with couldn't operate a bender! to many moving parts. LOL
The three point jack bender from Harbor fright didn't come with much instructions You probably can down load any of the instructions from their web site.

oldtiffie
07-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Deleted/edited-out

Evan
07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Evan tried to say that I did not have a clean home and that I do not find funny at all especially when he has never seen my home and like most things he operates on poor guess work

I still want to know what is in that Jar. You never did explain that. Looks very suspicious to me. Also, anybody that would stain such a nice cabinet this color of green is up to something, I'm sure of that.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/acabinet.jpg