PDA

View Full Version : Dead Horse???

bhjones
07-05-2007, 01:30 AM
I know this has been brought up before so please forgive me if it's a closed issue.

From time to time I take a peak on ebay for back issue of HSM and Projects in Metal. Prices, mostly, are very steep but from time to time I pickup a few. That said I'd prefer to spend my money on back issues on CD or DVD.

Where does this issue stand? What has prevented it from being available?

Thanks.

TECHSHOP
07-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Buying "hit-n-miss" over the years, and having lost a few issues along the way, I don't have a complete "set" of any of the magazines. I find that I have part II of III, but nothing else. I started to buy the hardcover "reprint" books.

I'm not sure on the status of the CD/DVD issue, has it been that long?

Mike Burdick
07-05-2007, 02:04 AM
bhjones,

I may be mistaken but I thought HMS has taken the position that the articles written therein are not their [HMS] property and each author retains their rights. This in their eyes eliminates and chance of an electronic reprint.

Many people that contribute to this forum have articles published in HMS. I'd be interested in their views as to the electronic reproduction and what was the agreement between HMS and themselves pertaining to reprints of their work.

Forrest Addy
07-05-2007, 02:47 AM
I got the issues with my articles in them. I figger I can let them go for - oh - $5000 each. How much more with an autograph (or would it be less?) OK. Start the bidding.

PTSideshow
07-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Copy right issues, the right to first print ect. and payment issues have closed the subject for now if I remember correctly. Do a search and you can get the whole story.
JKwoodcraft is at NAMES each year he deals in the magazines and used books. He is one of the guys that sell on E bay. You can contact him at katonajoe@ aol.com or
P O box 0891912
Rochester Mi 48308-12912
To see about certain issues.:D

Your Old Dog
07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
If I recall, the essence of the issue is that a writer submits an article for a specific magazine use. The writer still maintains control of the property but only allows the publisher to use the property.

Yes, it would be swell if we could by these on CD, even if sold in place of a hard copy magazine one at a time. (like re-prints)

bhjones
07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Reprints on cd would be an interesting way of publishing them. I know absolutely zero about the publishing world, but I'd imagine this would be a cheaper way of producing them.

If I recall, the essence of the issue is that a writer submits an article for a specific magazine use. The writer still maintains control of the property but only allows the publisher to use the property.

Yes, it would be swell if we could by these on CD, even if sold in place of a hard copy magazine one at a time. (like re-prints)

bhjones
07-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It cleared up my foggy memories on this issue. I think I'll start buying a couple of hard cover books every month. That should feed the addiction pretty good.