PDA

View Full Version : Also need advice on.....

jfsmith
04-28-2003, 07:56 PM
Add this to the list:

Tig Welder, must be able to do fine work, I may not beable to justify this, because I already have a MIG (GMAW), stick and gas equipment

Plasma cutter, must be able to do delicate work.

Metal shear for medium gauge non harden steel and medium to heavy of aluminum. 36 inch would work.

Thanks,

Jerry

CCWKen
04-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Well, I try to get the best value for the buck. My machines get used five or six times a month. I don't use them in daily production but they do get used. It depends on the job. In auto restoration, this is diferent each time. For me, tooling up is buying the best I think I'll need. Spread this over a Machine Shop, Welding Shop, Paint Shop, Body Shop, Casting Shop, Plating Shop and Metal Forming Shop, it becomes evident that I can get by cheap on some things but need the best on others.
I say this each time someone asks; It depends if the equipment is going to be used in daily production and the extent of your budget. Is this for your use or use in a shop with other employees? There's no sense investing in machines that will out-live their use (or write-offs). There's big trouble in buying machines that are not OSHA compliant. (Frequent in the home shop price range)
You will get as many recomendations as there are respondants so just sit down and plan the use of the tools. YOU are the best judge of how the tools will be used and what you can afford.

CCWKen
04-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Well, I guess I should have read your first post first. That sounds fantastic! Hope you get it. But first things first. Get your business plan together. With that, you'll answer most of your own questions. Get busy; a good business plan will take longer than one month to develope. The machines can be an addendum page.

jfsmith
04-29-2003, 12:41 AM
I already have a skeleton grant request in my hands. I can do that, but I need to have some substance behind the funds applications(the spending money part).

My needs are for tried and true machinery, if somebody has a decent little CNC that would make me happy.

The sizes of my works, vary from small 3 inch by 5 inch metal sculpture to making large sculpture in pieces and welding them together on site.

Websites and picture with pricing is really what I need. I have to show all of the stuff I want. I already have three out lets for my sculptures and do a few shows a year.

Thanks,

Jerry

happy02
04-29-2003, 10:10 PM
Check the welding supply shops in your area for a good plasma cutter. For example Central welding supply in Ennis, Tx. has a new Hypertherm I believe that is rated for 1/8 in. for $500. This is his demo machine and has a compressor built in. Your area should have similar stuff. Alas heftier machines will be more expensive but demos should be roughly half price. You could also check out Jim at www.cut-like-plasma.com (http://www.cut-like-plasma.com) he pedals a Henrob tourch that does a great job of welding and cutting thin metals. I have one and have done silver soldering also with it. Everything in the shop has it's place. The conventonal oxy-actelene rig will do things that the henrob won't do and vice-verce. May The Force Be With You!!

CCWKen
04-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Oh, one other thing about TIGs; the lower the Amp setting allowed (thin metal) the higher the price seems to be. I don't know why, probably the starter needed. Many of the lower priced units may only go down to 20 or 30 Amps. The good ones go down to 5 Amps or less. You can weld tin-foil sheets together with the good ones. (If you wanted to). The thing is, make sure you get one that will do the job for you. If you're doing small thin items, make sure you look into that.