PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Pulley ??

Ivy McNeil
07-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Guys

I need to machine two serptenine pulleys and I need to know the spacing and the angle of the vees.
They will be aprox. 2 1/4" and 3" dia. and use a 1" wide belt.
Does anyone have any info. on them.
They will look something like this photo.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v67/ivymcneil/?action=view&current=SerpentinePulley.jpg

Regards
Ivy McNeil

John Stevenson
07-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Need to know the belt designation.
There are 4 main types J, PK which is automotive, L and M.

larry_g
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Take a wander areound the TB woods site
http://www.tbwoods.com/products.php?level=4&GID=10009944&PID=79&MID=1

They have some information and may have all shat you need. Gates also has some drawings avaiable.
lg
no neat sig line

SGW
07-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Check the Gates website. If you dig deeply enough, the information is there, although hard to find.

Assuming you're talking about the same type of belt I looked up a while ago, the included angle of the Vs is 40 degrees, and the spacing is in 32nds of an inch, for example, 3/32" for the belt I had in mind.)

Ivy McNeil
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks Guys
Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Ivy

hgporter
07-07-2007, 11:17 PM
What am I overlooking: The diagrams on this site show PD (appearing to be the diameter to the bottom of the groove) and OD to the outer diameter of the groove. However the tables list the PD as 0.030 larger than the OD for every sheave I looked at.

Ivy McNeil
07-08-2007, 12:15 AM
I didn't catch that but it wont bother me as I am making my own sheaves ( non standard size).

Ivy

John Stevenson
07-08-2007, 07:59 AM
What am I overlooking: The diagrams on this site show PD (appearing to be the diameter to the bottom of the groove) and OD to the outer diameter of the groove. However the tables list the PD as 0.030 larger than the OD for every sheave I looked at.

Because the pitch diameter is roughly central to the belt thickness and it makes it greater than the sheave.
A vee belt sits inside the sheave so it's PCD is inside the OD.
A poly vee belt lies on top of the sheave so it's PCD is outside the OD.

HTH.