PDA

View Full Version : Pipe bending

Dick Plasencia
07-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I have a project which requires a 1" copper pipe bent into a circle approximately 24" diameter. My question is who do you think is best to approach to have this done? Should I try a muffler shop, electrician, or a plumber? Maybe there is some other type facility I can have them bend the pipe.

dicks42000
07-07-2007, 01:22 PM
What type of copper pipe is it ? I wouldn't even bother trying to bend a piece of 1 in. hard L or K copper pipe if I could get some soft copper. If you want an "accurate"-ish circle, bend it around a wooden form that you can make up.
A muffler shop likely will have a hydraulic bending/ swaging machine but no dies & shoes for 1 inch tubing as that is not a common exhaust tubing size.
Plumbing or electrical contractors (I are one) will have hand benders or "hickey" benders that could do the job in the right hands (carefully) but the bend would have to be done in sections, not a one-shot deal.
A pipe fabrication shop would be the answer if it was steel pipe or heavy wall. They'd have something like a Pines pipe bender or rolls. You can easily produce circles and spirals on these machines. Some shops have ring rolls too.
Hope that helps.
Rick

Tinkerer
07-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Making a water widget for the gardern?

You could cut out a wood template die... drill a center hole to pivot... secure one end of tube to edge make a simple follow block and wrap it around. You may get a little deformation but would get you there. Or if you need near perfect... laminate the plies and use a router with a radius cutter to relieve the edge.

speedsport
07-07-2007, 02:05 PM
soft copper wrapped around a 55gal drum.

emj
07-07-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a project which requires a 1" copper pipe bent into a circle approximately 24" diameter. My question is who do you think is best to approach to have this done? Should I try a muffler shop, electrician, or a plumber? Maybe there is some other type facility I can have them bend the pipe.

I saw a show on the Discovery channel about trombone or trumpet(musical instruments) making and they fill the small diameter tubing with water then freeze the tubing and bend it while it's frozen so it does not crimp. They made probably 3" radius paperclip-like bends. This may work in conjunction with the other suggestions.