PDA

View Full Version : shaper model???

laddy
07-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey,
Has any one built the small shaper model available on ebay?? I purchased one but can't figure out how to hold some of the parts to machine them ( I am only a hobbyist). The castings look nice and I have started but ran aground on the ram. Ideas welcome! Fred

SGW
07-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't disparage hobbyists! Lew Blackmore of Australia was "only" a hobbyist and he built the quarter-scale 9-cylinder Bentley BR2 rotary airplane engine model, starting from not much of any information at all. Other hobbyists have done equally spectacular things. So...don't sell your potential as a hobbyist short.

But, as for workholding...that's frequently the challenge of making a part. How do you hold the thing while you machine it. Every piece is different, so there is no single answer, just general methods to assist your ingenuity. Sometimes you can drill/tap a couple of holes where they won't show in the finished part, so you can attach the part to something you can hold onto. If you're making something from barstock, it often helps to have a piece larger than you need to give yourself a handle to hang onto, and the final or near-final step is cutting off the finished part.

Castings can be a special problem because the draft on the pattern often means there are no parallel sides for gripping. Sometimes you can carve recesses in wood blocks that are "close enough" to the casting contour to grip the piece, and you can then hold the blocks. Or maybe you can file an approximately flat reference surface that sit without wobbling while you do initial machining. Hard to say without seeing the particular part. Can you post a picture?

heavysteamer
07-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Hey,
Has any one built the small shaper model available on ebay?? I purchased one but can't figure out how to hold some of the parts to machine them ( I am only a hobbyist). The castings look nice and I have started but ran aground on the ram. Ideas welcome! Fred

Does the ram look like a full size shaper with a long slot in the top? If so, you should be able to put a couple of screws through from the inside to hold it down to machine the ways. Are they square or angular ways/ Photo would sure help.

mklotz
07-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Are you referring to the PMR shaper model?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/mklotz/shaper3.jpg

Evan
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
That model is nearly identical to the Whipp shaper I have.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/whipp.jpg

Doc Nickel
07-07-2007, 11:17 PM
It's not that far from my Lewis, too. Shapers tend to have a pretty general... er, shape, and fairly common layout.

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/lewis.jpg

The little model appears to have a table lift handle on the table itself, while your Wipp has it on the right of the cross slide, and my Lewis has it to the left and behind the cross slide.

Doc.

laddy
07-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Marv,
You hit it. How did you hold the ram piece to round up the front?
Thanks to all Fred

ammcoman2
07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
On the one I'm in the process of building I set it up between centers on my Taig lathe. Realized that it is done in production that way when I noticed the machined depression for the center at the back of the ram on my Ammco when I refurbished it.

It's a fun project - good luck.

Geoff

oldtiffie
07-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Deleted/edited-out

mklotz
07-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Marv,
You hit it. How did you hold the ram piece to round up the front?
Thanks to all Fred

It's been so many years since I finished it that my memory is dim but I'm fairly certain I just held it in the 4jaw after roughing in the flats on the top and bottom.

laddy
07-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey,
Thanks to all those that helped. I will try to put it between centers on my Unimat. I hadn't thought og that. I tried to use my four jaw chuck but only have a 6" Craftsman lathe. No matter how I tried to grip the little bast**d The tailsock end drooped down. The centerbore of the chuck is too small to fit it in very far. Oh well. I'll keep trying. Thanks Guys. Fred

laddy
07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey Geoff,
You are a prince! Turning between centers on the Unimat worked GREAT!!! Many thanks Fred