View Full Version : Drive Name

07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
I am trying to find the name or how to make the type drive that is used on fishing reels to traverse the line back and forth while cranking in one direction.
I need to make a 6" one for a project that I am working on. Any help would very much be appreciated.

07-08-2007, 12:25 AM
It's a self-reversing lead screw.

07-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Google: Flennor Ball Reverser

Industrial duty configurations for controlling layers of cable or whatever, on a spooling system, ie. level wind fishing reels.

We've installed six Flennor devices now, for everyday operations. Spooling quarter inch diameter hoist cable on 18 inch diameter spools, with a width betwix flanges of 12 inches. No problems.

Somewhat pricey, but that depends on relative values of what is being spooled, and why, I guess.


07-08-2007, 01:23 AM
There are two ways to rig a level wind, that quickly come to mind.

#1 Crossed helical slots, controlling a line guide eye.
(yes a deliberatly superimposed left and right thread)
You have seen a fast combo on a Yankee tool.

#2 A heart cam controlling a distribution lever.
Common as dirt on bobbin winders of old sewing machines.

Haven't looked a a cylindrical "string ball" winder lately.
Cable lacing cord still comes on those.

Hth Ag