PDA

View Full Version : Questions from newbie

OLDHORSESHOE
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I mostly just hide and watch here but I have two questions I would like to ask. First one is, what is the best buy (under $200.00 please) in a bench top abrasive blasting cabinet. I have a plenty of compressed air capacity for a small unit. Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool??

My second question is about a project in a book my wife gave me. The book is Randolph's Shop and there are plans for variable speed band saw in it. Has anyone tried building this saw? I am thinking of scaling it down some to suit my shop and it looks like a pretty good project.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

platypus2020
07-08-2007, 05:44 PM
I haven't seen the one from Northern Tool, but the Grizzly and the HF blast cabinets appear to be the same unit.

Jack

RetiredFAE
07-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I have one of the HF units that saw a lot of use in my gunshop for 12 years before I retired, and weekly use during the last 2 years, so far, no problems at all. It was a sale item at about $99 when I bought it, think it goes for about $179 on sale now.

dp
07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
The cabs are not difficult to build but there's a lot of wrong ways to do it. Still, you may end up with a better cabinet if you build your own. Plenty of cabinet info here: http://www.tptools.com/

wierdscience
07-08-2007, 06:50 PM
I second that,build one.You can build a lot of cabinet for $200 and it doesn't have to be metal.

OLDHORSESHOE
07-08-2007, 07:48 PM
I had considered building one and I probably will. I only plan to use glass beads in it and I have a good shop vac to use. Thanks for the suggestions.