PDA

View Full Version : OMG! They are still making.....

wierdscience
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
...conehead lathes,big ones,in the land before time-India.

http://gujaratlathe.com/products.htm

Carl
07-09-2007, 01:35 AM
...WOW...never would have believed it...thanks for posting the link...

lane
07-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Looks like they try ed to copy the South Bend.

wierdscience
07-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I had seen these about 10 years ago at a machine tool expo,couldn't believe they were still making them then.The one they had on display looked good,especially for India.It was the only time I had ever seen a conehead that was new with sharp ground ways and new paint:D

I wonder if anybody is importing them now and what they would cost?

oldtiffie
07-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Deleted/erased-out

wierdscience
07-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Oh,I can see one possible reason to still be making them which would be simplicity.
But how many US,English and Asian manufacturers were still making flatbelt equipment once they had begun making gearhead machinery?Not too many as I recall.There was a transition time here,but that was only a couple years before conehead machines disappeared from production so far as I can tell.I don't remember ever seeing a Japanese,Korean or Chinese conehead in the US.
At least they are motor under drive units so that's one "modern" feature.

oldtiffie
07-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Deleted/erased-out

kendall
07-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Possibly the fact that they are a third world country is what makes the conehead a feasable option, I mean in some areas in it is not overly common to have reliable power, a conehead is much easier to adapt to alternate drive methods. An ox driven treadmill or even a water wheel could be used to drive several lathes through line shafting and keep operating costs down.

that sparks an idea, my wife keeps saying she wants excersize, and complains about the electrical costs of my hobbies, so maybe I should build a treadmill in the garage for my atlas, that way she loses weight, and I use less electricty, problem solved.
I'll mention it in the morning, if I don't get back to ya, watch the obits.

ken.

oldtiffie
07-10-2007, 01:25 AM
deleted/erased-out