PDA

View Full Version : Remachine mag (Al ? ) wheels

Jim Hubbell
07-09-2007, 02:58 AM
I have been asked about the feasability of machining off the surface blemishes of some 15 x 10 Ansen Sprint wheels. This is way beyond my experience. I do believe someone on this forum will have some answers. If more info is needed, ask and I will try and post it.
Thanks, Jim

dp
07-09-2007, 03:16 AM
I don't know much about machining mag wheels but I understand liability pretty well and I wouldn't touch it for love nor money. If a wheel that was last on your machine cracks at the hub while making a sweeper on the New Jersey turnpike in noon traffic and spins the vehicle into an eighteen wheeler going the other way you will spend all your life's energy minimizing some lawyerly wank's claim against you and your failure to stress test your work on completion. There's a reason why hunt and kill lawyers like John Edwards can afford $1200 US for a haircut and a shot at the presidency.

speedy
07-09-2007, 05:53 AM
I have been asked about the feasability of machining off the surface blemishes of some 15 x 10 Ansen Sprint wheels. This is way beyond my experience. I do believe someone on this forum will have some answers. If more info is needed, ask and I will try and post it.
Thanks, Jim

I`m not familiar with Ansen Sprint wheels but if your talking kerbing then this is what I did to rejuvenate my Commy 17`s.
I set them up in my mates brake lathe. The mags had a bit of runout and as the lathe machines axially I found a 20" piece of dressed decking timber then tacked a length of course emery to it; found a comfortable stool and set about removing the rash, moving onto finer emery and them wet n dry and clearcoat to finish. Although labour intensive, a good result.

ProGunOne
07-09-2007, 05:57 PM
I don't know much about machining mag wheels but I understand liability pretty well and I wouldn't touch it for love nor money. If a wheel that was last on your machine cracks at the hub while making a sweeper on the New Jersey turnpike in noon traffic and spins the vehicle into an eighteen wheeler going the other way you will spend all your life's energy minimizing some lawyerly wank's claim against you and your failure to stress test your work on completion. There's a reason why hunt and kill lawyers like John Edwards can afford $1200 US for a haircut and a shot at the presidency.

Well said, nuf said.

PackardV8
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
The Ansen Sprint wheels have plenty of stock on them for a light cleanup pass on the outer side.

Secondly, if you extrapolate from any machine operation to the possibility of liability on the part's most extreme and wildly inappropriate use, might we all have to give up taking in job work and sit in the dark and not answer the door?

I have made brake brackets for street rods. I just copied a disclaimer from Wilwood Brakes. Something to the effect, "This part is for experienced and qualified race car builders who can judge for themselves if it is appropriate to their use. Not intended for street use. Not intended to replace OEM brake parts." I added, "If you drop it on your toe, not responsible for injury or loss of income or mobility."

thnx, jv.

bob308
07-09-2007, 11:01 PM
packardv8 i agree with you and have said the same thing many times before.

we are all big boys and know the game. so we dont need some one to reply to a post with watch out for the lawyers. when that was not the question asked.

those wheels are on the heavy side and can take a small cut if needed. i have made a long axel that stuck out the back end of the headstock on my
s-b bolted up a wheel truned on the lathe and poished away.

dp
07-09-2007, 11:23 PM
packardv8 i agree with you and have said the same thing many times before.

we are all big boys and know the game. so we dont need some one to reply to a post with watch out for the lawyers. when that was not the question asked.

Since you're the spokeman for "we", how about you just publish the whole damn list of what "we" don't need to reply with so "we" don't have to have this conversation again.

Jim Hubbell
07-10-2007, 02:26 AM
Thanks to all who replied with their concerns and suggestions. I see no need for any squabbles as I am the one who will sort through them.
The wheels are going on a '57 Chev wagon which has been shortened to a 2dr wagon. Full load small block and pretty to boot.
I will fwd these and any further comments on to my son.
Again, thanks

Mike W
07-10-2007, 04:14 AM
I was at Westec in the 80's and saw a machine that took some kind of blanks and did the machining to make them into a completed aluminum wheel. I was impressed how fast the finished wheel was completed.

bob308
07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
well dp the we is any one that owns a machine tool and makes things with it or modifies something with it. and who has not lived under a rock their entire life

the man asked a question if it could be done not for leagle advice. which if i or most others would go to a lawyer for not some one on the net trying to run up their post numbers.

SGW
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Just because something is possible does not necessarily mean it's advisable. dp gave a perfectly valid opinion why it might not be advisable. If you have a greater tolerance for lawsuits than some of us do, that's fine -- you're perfectly free to take on jobs like that -- but there is no need to disparage those who are more cautious.