PDA

View Full Version : Kayack Finish??

madman
07-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Spar varnish underneath varithane wood flooring finish . ?? Both use the same type of paint thinner to thin out substances. Can i put varithane directly over a coat of spar varnish??? I hasd some old old spar varnish and thinned it out with paint thinner. It dried ok. (i sanded down the wood prior to spar varnishing it) Then i ran outa spar varnish and found some Varithane Floor Finish stuff. Its fauirly new cause i just finished (sanded and 5 coats) a Kennedy Wooden Toolbox Top. It came out amazingly good for once. LOL. Anyhow i wonderred if the two coatings would cure ok>>

SGW
07-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Though I am certainly no finishing expert, I think as long as the bottom coat is THOROUGHLY dry first, you'll be okay. The only potential problem you might run into is adhesion, but I don't think hardening of the top coat will be an issue.

Your Old Dog
07-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't experiment unless the kayak is an old junker. I'd buy another can of what every you used last. If it's a junker then it won't matter if it never fumes off properly and becomes cured.

BTW, be careful when thinning varnish down. There are a lot of goodies in it that you don't want to upset the balance of such as flattners and UV inhibiters. All this stuff works together.

cybor462
07-10-2007, 05:57 PM
YOD has made a good point. There is external (outside varnish) and inside stuff. All deals with UV inhibitors. I am not in any way an expert but I can tell you from experience that is true. If you used floor varnish that may not have the needed goodies as YOD put it to protect against the sun. The sun will destroy this stuff unless the proper chemicals are used. I had made a real nice name sign for the front of our house. Sanded and sanded and applied the finishes like directed. It was soo sweet when it was done even my wife liked it.:rolleyes: She dont like nutten!:( About a month later the clear was all cracked and eventually peeled. I was fuming. I looked at the can for a number to call as I wanted to give them a piece of my mind as this now was ruined.
Ah ha! There it was plain as day. Was small writing but it said for inside use only!
Check the can and make sure it is for outside.

madman
07-10-2007, 08:46 PM
I stayed with the sparr varnish and bought some more. Put another coat on the old Kayack . It is a 17.5 footer that folds into two bags and fits into a super cub airplane easilly. It holds two men and beer ? Two horse 4 stroke honda whistles it around all day on a pint of fuel.

Your Old Dog
07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I stayed with the sparr varnish and bought some more. Put another coat on the old Kayack . It is a 17.5 footer that folds into two bags and fits into a super cub airplane easilly. It holds two men and beer ? Two horse 4 stroke honda whistles it around all day on a pint of fuel.

Boy does that sound like the life !! What line do I have to get into for that vacation?

madman
07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Too bad i cant whistle around all day on just one pint.

darryl
07-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Betcha can't have just one pint! I can't anyway. I need a couple just to be able to think about having another one, or say that's it.

On the kayak thing- I've seen a few jobs where the (usually canoe) has gotten significantly heavier from having re-finishing done on it. One was so heavy that it wouldn't have been fun anymore. Just thought I'd mention that.

Evan
07-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Sounds like a Folbot. I remember the ads for those in Popular Mechanics when I was a kid. Seems they still exist.

http://www.folbot.com/greenland2.html (http://www.folbot.com/)

For a much cheaper version see here:

Fold your own boat (http://www.mathematische-basteleien.de/paper_ship.htm)

madman
07-12-2007, 05:55 PM
M Kayack is a custom engineered model patterned after the klepper in 1973 and with less seperate pieces. It has attracted much interest whenever i take it out. I used to ship it by Greyhound up north. Them motorcycle on up and pick it up from the Bus Station. Nice unit,

BillH
07-13-2007, 10:26 AM
You know, this may be a good question to ask the folks who collect old wood boats like Chris Crafts and Penn Yan's. Those guys know their varnishes!