PDA

View Full Version : "Kant-twist" clamps

oldtiffie
07-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Deleted/erased-out

jkilroy
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Kant twist clamps rock, no doubt about it. Way better than C clamps.

gellfex
07-12-2007, 12:36 AM
There used to be some chinese knockoffs, I got some at Victor Machinery, but I haven't seen them around. The larger sizes of the imports are fine but the 1" would jam their threads under pressure. I wonder when the patent expires?

At one point I was contemplating making an 18" kant-twist out of alum plate for a job that needed a strong deep throated clamp. How cool would that have been?

Clamping today is a joy between the kant-twists and the one handed squeeze bar clamps.

ProGunOne
07-12-2007, 02:50 AM
I just seen it on their web-site that Enco has a 6pc set of the Kant Twist clamps on sale for $90.00

Mike W
07-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Clamps? I like clamps...............sorry, wrong kind.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/tek798/Welding/Cclamps1.jpg

cybor462
07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Mike.. the heck with the clamps..what is that yellow thing in the background? Looks like muscle to me!

Back to clamps..I was shown those by the cnc guy..he said they are better than sex. He uses them for everything (maybe even sex):confused: but he said I should get some. Was he talking sex or clamps? Or was he talking getting clamps and use them.....whatever:p
I should check Enco since they are listed there and try some.. would that be sex or clamps...now I am totally cofused!:eek:

BudB
07-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Years ago, Enco had there own brand of "kant-twist" clamps at a fraction of the genuine $$. I suspect the lawers went after them.

elbryant
07-12-2007, 10:56 AM
It would appear that the patent has expired. From their web site:

"Originated in its current form in 1972, Clamp Manufacturing Company, Inc. (Clamp) was the result of a buyout of a firm owned by Phil and Paul Saurenman. Phil took the Kant-Twist clamp line and one of our current buildings as remuneration in lieu of cash. He continued to be active with Clamp until shortly before his death in December 1995. Clamp remains family owned.

"The original firm purchased the Kant-Twist line from Paul Saxton in 1953 and paid him royalties until the patent expired. In fact, many old timers may remember the clamp being referred to as "The Saxton clamp." The line has been expanded many times since. Our most recent additions are the 2-1/2" Deep Throat and the 1-1/2" Round Handle clamps."

DR
07-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I have a few of the Kant-twists. Once in awhile they're useful to get into a place where a conventional "C" clamp won't fit.

One thing I really don't like about them is the fine pitch of the screw thread. It takes forever to re-size them from closed to wide open or vice-versa.

My ideal clamp is the old Hargrave C-frame "super clamp". Forged steel body, Acme threaded screw with the forged thumb screw type handle (as opposed to the cheapo sliding rod handle). I see these now cost around 35 bucks in the 4" size, but the new ones apparently only have the cheapo rod type handle.

gellfex
07-12-2007, 12:10 PM
One thing I really don't like about them is the fine pitch of the screw thread. It takes forever to re-size them from closed to wide open or vice-versa.

Like many things, it's all in the wrist! You dangle and spin them.

As for imports, if the patent is long expired, WTF? Why did they stop making the imports then? Where's my cheap wall of chinese clamps?

lynnl
07-12-2007, 01:30 PM
There was an HSM or PIM/MW article quite some time ago that gave the patterns and plans for making your own. ...it may be in one of the Village Press hardback books that I saw it.
Shortly before I saw the article I had seen a lot of scrap at my local salvage yard that would have been ideal for that purpose, but when I went back to get some it was gone. ...naturally.

Scishopguy
07-12-2007, 07:18 PM
My first exposure to Kant Twist Clamps was in 1973, while I was interning in tool and die. They proved to be the best thing since sliced bread. They are especially handy for clamping work on an angle plate. We had die steels to grind cutting edges on at precise angles. A regular c clamp would try to move the part slightly out of true as it tightened up that last little bit. I bought a couple of no name MSC 6" kant twist clones and have used them for all kinds of things. I have even used them to attach pipe or lumber to the roof rack on the car. They never fail to work great!

platypus2020
07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I've had the Kant-twist clamps for about 10 years work great, I was recently was given by the sales rep, to try, some of the "Lockjaw" clamps, they are like the 5" and 11" vicegrip welding clamps, with the swivel pads, but they adjust automaticlly, there is a tension adjuster, once you set it according to the amount of tension you wanted, thats what you get regardless of the stock clamped up to 4" thick. I weld up angle iron frames for tanks and pumps, they work great, no fumbling, just squeeze it and its clamped. If you get a chance check them out.

jack

IOWOLF
07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I have the plans somewhere, if this site had the means to post plans and the like I would post them.

PTSideshow
07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/DSC02392.jpg
Here is a De Sta co plastic welding no mar clamp with the wheels instead of pads.

GadgetBuilder
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Another possible way to distribute a file is to store it on a site like those used for photos and then provide the link so others can download. I haven't tried it (yet) but it's worth a try, see:
http://www.savefile.com/

John

JRouche
07-12-2007, 11:22 PM
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~link/mfg/gold/Index.html

Mcruff
07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
You can save the drawing as a bmp or gif and then put it on photobucket or one off those sites and then just link to it. I have several sets of drawings for jeep parts on my Photobucket account and they are linked to several jeep forums.

kevindsingleton
07-13-2007, 12:21 PM
So, is it a go? I'd like a copy of the plans, too.

kevindsingleton at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

andpartington
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
and me please

andpartington@googlemail.com

thanks

andy

HighHat
07-13-2007, 01:21 PM
So is there a download location or is it email ??

revo 21 @ kc. rr. com

IOWOLF
07-13-2007, 03:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/parts.jpg

matador
07-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Yup,it worked:D.This is actually the same drawing that Jim Rouche posted the link for.A bit hard to read in places,but that's how it is on the site.Should be good enough to knock out a few though.Thanks wolfie and jrouche:).
A friend of mine has some 1" crap copies,that he bought in a local junk shop in the 70's,but I never found any again.Despite being low quality,they were the most useful thing we ever had for building r/c airplanes.The "proper" Kant-twists" are simply not available here.Pity.

JRouche
07-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Yup,it worked:D.This is actually the same drawing that Jim Rouche posted the link for.

:D Close...John Rouche

matador
07-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Sorry,John.I knew that:D:D:D.

Carld
07-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I like the Kant Twist clamps and have 12 or so of them. However, then can and do twist. I bought most of the clamps from a friend and the two 1" clamps were twisted. The small clamps can be damaged so don't loan them to someone with heavy hands. That's what happened to the clamps I bought from my friend. Most the time I use C clamps because the Kant Twists are to bulky.

IOWOLF
07-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Heavy Hands ,or sticky fingers !!!!! ;)

gellfex
10-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I revive this thread with the same complaint: where the hell are my chinese knockoff Kant Twists? These things have been off patent for decades if they date to the seventies as indicated upthread. This is inexplicable when everything else on earth has been knocked off, legally or not.

vpt
10-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Well this is interesting! Looks like something I could pound out 100 frames at a time on the plasma table. I'll have to make myself some when I have free time and see how it goes.

torker
10-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Lol...I thought I was in a timewarp...when I saw Wolfies name here...
Then I saw the date of the thread :)

Lew Hartswick
10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
WOW! Talk about ancient. :-) We made up a work series for the students to make a copy of the 6" version
(with a few mods to make it easier) and one student made a pair last year. The "plans" that were in the
teachers file was OK but a few details like the "riveting" were not there so I cam up with a suitable
method. The I scaled the plans down and made 6, about 2" versions. Photographs of each step etc.
The only tedious part is all the spacers.
They are GREAT clamps.
...lew...

JCHannum
10-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I revive this thread with the same complaint: where the hell are my chinese knockoff Kant Twists? These things have been off patent for decades if they date to the seventies as indicated upthread. This is inexplicable when everything else on earth has been knocked off, legally or not.

The knockoffs have been around for years at Enco, HF and the usual suspects. Unlike the genuine article, they do twist.

gellfex
10-25-2013, 12:31 PM
The knockoffs have been around for years at Enco, HF and the usual suspects. Unlike the genuine article, they do twist.

If true, please link. All Enco or HF have is the large "quick release" type, which I have and am not that impressed with. Perhaps 15 years ago I got knockoffs of the really useful 1 & 2" sizes at Victor Tool, but now they nor anyone else carries them.

Thomas Staubo
10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
All Enco or HF have is the large "quick release" type...

The real Kant Twist clamps is on sale at Enco now. Found them in the Hot Deals flyer.

http://imageshack.us/a/img34/2523/2bbi.JPG

SDL
09-29-2014, 02:36 PM
There was an HSM or PIM/MW article quite some time ago that gave the patterns and plans for making your own. ...it may be in one of the Village Press hardback books that It.

Does any one know of a online index for the magazines to find the article or failing that which magazine and issue its in?

some of our ME club want to make some.

Steve

George Bulliss
09-29-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm not sure this is the only article that covers a Kant-twist type clamp, but it's the only one I could find. "A Great Little Clamp," from the Aug/Sept 1993 issue of Projects in Metal. Doubtful that we will have the back issues available, but we do have some old ones kicking around. The project is also found in Metalworking Book Three, page 217. We do have this book in stock, though I think the numbers are getting thin.

Call Village Press at 800-447-7367 to inquire about the back issue or to order the book.

Knires
09-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Switch & Lever has a youtube video on making some as well. It was good to watch and he has solid models on his webpage. It is on my project list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlvLUS2Lixc

Lew Hartswick
09-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Does any one know of a online index for the magazines to find the article or failing that which magazine and issue its in?

some of our ME club want to make some.

Steve
I have a set of dwgs. and quite a few megs of pictures of making the (about 4in.) one and another set of info. for a scaled down (about 2in.) one
that I did the scaling and slight modifications to. e-mail me if you want the stuff. Do you have a good high data connection?
I made about 5 or 6 of the large ones and 6 of the 2" ones and a student did 2 of the large ones last year in shop class.
...lew... LHartswick at earthlink dot net

Lew Hartswick
09-29-2014, 04:58 PM
That is a cute video.
If you are going to do a batch of them it pays to make a few jigs etc. to speed up the various functions. The use of the belt sander to do the
radii on the side plates is well worth while and I came up with a way to get the internal curve without a lot of filing.
...lew...

SDL
09-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Switch & Lever has a youtube video on making some as well. It was good to watch and he has solid models on his webpage. It is on my project list.

Nice video well well worth watching.

steve.

SDL
09-29-2014, 05:24 PM
That is a cute video.
If you are going to do a batch of them it pays to make a few jigs etc. to speed up the various functions. The use of the belt sander to do the
radii on the side plates is well worth while and I came up with a way to get the internal curve without a lot of filing.
...lew...
Thanks for the offer. Email sent.

Steve