PDA

View Full Version : Machines are now downstairs!

sidegrinder
07-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Well actually the mill has been down for about a month already. I lost some time due to the sudden and unexpected death of my 42yr old brother:(
I got the lathe parts all down on monday and it took about 90min to put everything back together. I needed help bring the main mill column and the lathe cabinet down--everything else I could get by myself including the lathe bed. No, I'm not superman, but it is sort of amazing what one man with a hand truck, furniture dolly, and cherry picker can do. Anyway here are some pics. As usual, they are before and after (to busy to get any during).

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/shop003.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/shop001.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/shop002.jpg

sidegrinder
07-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Couple more pics of the machines in their new home. The mill isn't quite as cramped as it looks--but it's close ;)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/shop004.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k203/sidegrinder/shop006.jpg

cybor462
07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother.

As far as the new shop you need to fill it in a bit more. There is far too much walking room:)

Nice job on getting it downstairs unhurt. I dropped my mill and that was just moving it 40 feet.

Both machines look nice in their new home. After you get them all setup you really need to make a few chips!

Good Work

jim

BadDog
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Sorry about your brother, good to have something to keep you busy...

I'm very jealous of those very nice machines. Good job getting them setup, enjoy learning to use them!

gzig5
07-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey, that's great! Now maybe you can help me get my 14" Rockwell in my basement before winter comes, you being an expert now.:D
Greg

sidegrinder
07-12-2007, 05:00 PM
You ARE kidding, right--Isn't your's around 2000#? I'll bring my cutting torch;)
Seriously, if you need any help just give me a holler.

nheng
07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother also. That's way too young to go.

Your basement looks like a great working space. I think I have a color brochure for several Rockwells. If you'd like a copy, send me a PM and I'll scan it for you.

Den

madman
07-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Sad to hear about youre young Brother. Im trully sorry. Youre basement shop looks nice.

Alistair Hosie
07-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Sidegrinder very sad news regarding your young brother sorry to hear of it your machines look very nice kindest regards your pal Alistair

Your Old Dog
07-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Very sorry to hear about your brother.

That nice setup you got in the basement should help keep you busy.

Evan
07-13-2007, 07:32 AM
I lost two of my brothers years ago even though both are still living. One is an untreated schizophrenic and the other severe manic-depressive. The younger one especially has driven away everyone in the family, even our mother.

If you had a good relationship with your brother then keep those memories alive. You were luckier than me.

I think you made an excellent choice on those machines, the mill is expecially nice.

gzig5
07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
You ARE kidding, right--Isn't your's around 2000#? I'll bring my cutting torch;)
Seriously, if you need any help just give me a holler.

2000 lbs? Yeah at least, but once you get past 1500 who's counting anymore? :eek: Actually, I think most of the extra weight of the 14" is in the headstock. The beds look to be similar in size. I have to figure out if I can traverse the turn in the stairs with the bed. I think the other components shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if my normal suckers, er, I mean assistants back out.
Greg

Philt
07-13-2007, 03:19 PM
How do align the headstock on the bed after re-attachining it? I was under the impression this sort of alignment is a challenge without test bars or other equipement.

IOWOLF
07-13-2007, 03:25 PM
You have heard enough about your brother. so...
Nice lathe and mill ,and Down in one piece , or back in one piece.

BadDog
07-13-2007, 03:32 PM
How do align the headstock on the bed after re-attachining it? I was under the impression this sort of alignment is a challenge without test bars or other equipement.
The Rockwell headstock is scraped in and located on the v-way. No real adjusting without shimming or scraping anyway, and they each bring their own challenges.

sidegrinder
07-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, what Badbog said. I just made sure that the top of the ways and bottom of the headstock were absolutely clean before putting the two mating surfaces together. They only way the alignment would change would be if the v was damaged or a chip got in there somehow. Also, thanks to everyone for the kind words regarding the loss of my brother.
Rob AKA Sidegrinder

abn
07-14-2007, 02:47 AM
The machines look really nice...look about optimum for a home shop.