PDA

View Full Version : OT:Internet security

Sophiedoc
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Since connecting to telephone line dsl strange things have happened such as new icons on the desktop etc.My question is can messages come thru the system connected via a router and hard wired when the computer is sleeping or must the computer be turned off to stop the aberrant messages and icons.Usually I turn the router and computer both off when done if possible.

loose nut
07-13-2007, 09:21 AM
I believe when the computer is in sleep mode your safe but I'm not positive, but if you have strange icons appearing it's to late you have already got spy ware on your system. Turning off your router won't help and may hurt if you forget to turn it on first, it your first line of defense because it acts as a hardware firewall. Make sure your Arni-virus, anti-spy ware programs are up to date as well as your security updates for windows.

BadDog
07-13-2007, 03:28 PM
If it's truly "asleep" or “off”, nothing is going to infect it. And with the router off, nothing could get to it even if it’s on (unless you’ve already downloaded something infected).

But yeah, if those new icons are not something installed along with your DSL package, sounds like it’s too late. Try some of the free spyware stuff like AdAware from LavSoft.

Best advice, never browse the internet from a browser running as “Admin”. That alone closes the door on most infections.

tattoomike68
07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Since connecting to telephone line dsl strange things have happened such as new icons on the desktop etc.My question is can messages come thru the system connected via a router and hard wired when the computer is sleeping or must the computer be turned off to stop the aberrant messages and icons.Usually I turn the router and computer both off when done if possible.

I am willing to bet you download software that has extra crap that put the icons on your desktop.

security is a bunch of fluff, I run nothing, no virus scan or firewall for over 3 years.

Any hackers with skillz would be robbing banks and not digging around on your computer. Hacking is not as easy as the junk on TV makes it look like.

Burn important stuff to disk and when your box acts weird just reformat throw XP pro back on it. Better yet run linux/XP pro dual boot if you can.

My womans computer has all the security goodies and it take 5 minutes to boot and runs like a dog. My box boots in 40 seconds and is very fast.

wfraser
07-13-2007, 08:07 PM
If that router has a firewall on it and it doesn't have some dumb default password setup yer all good. Any damage done will be self-inflicted type.

best thing to do is turn it off if yeh aint using it even in stand bye mode they suck up allot of power when there on 24/7.

make sure yeh have auto updates enabled

get spyware doctor and adaware yeh can get em for free and run em about every week. these 2 are great they only run when yeh run em so they dont bring yer comp to crawl.

Avoid symantec/mcafee they can bring even the fastest computer to a crawl

Sophiedoc
07-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks everyone-I guess the rapidity of downloads with dsl compared to dial up gave me some concern especially with the icons popping up.