PDA

View Full Version : There's no pleasing some folk

John Stevenson
07-14-2007, 07:50 PM
A friend of mine has just built a small scale model of a narrow gauge Welsh mountain railway loco, one of the saddle tank variety.
He was talking about a name plate for it and being a good friend I offered to do him one on my new CNC router.

I asked him what name and he hadn't thought of one for it. He wanted something that was Welsh and reflected on the engine and it's history.

So did a bit of searching on Google [ Evan's gone into town so he posted and I can get on :D ] looking for welsh locomotive and place names.

Found a right pearler, programmed it in V Carve [ brillant program, so easy to use ] shot into the Bat Cave and machined it.

Rang him up to come round and showed him this pair of name plates.

Well not the reception I had hoped for after doing someone a favour :(

His parting reply was "well now I have to build an even bigger scale model " ??
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
What's wrong with this ???
>
>
>

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/llanfairpg.jpg

lynnl
07-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Not a thing that I can see! ...I guess gratitude is just hard to come by for some people. :D

aboard_epsilon
07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Known as Llanfair P.G to the locals ..

Perhaps you should shorten it to please him .
or alter his engine to this one :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/dlg.gif

Been showing Steve Thomas of the practical machinist board the little Welsh trains and locos ...

Got us a tour of the Llangollen railway workshop ........very very interesting .

and a tour of the Snowdon mountain railway workshop.

and a few rides ...

plus a visit to Electric-Mountain.

He should have a lot to say ...and quite a few interesting pics when he gets back home to NY next week sometime ...so look out for his posts on the PM board..

All the best..mark

aostling
07-14-2007, 08:47 PM
>
>
What's wrong with this ???

What does this place name mean? It's too long to write down and I can't copy and paste your image into Google.

aboard_epsilon
07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

platypus2020
07-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Maybe they can use that next year in the ESPN coverage of the National Spelling Bee, they could use that as the first word and eliminate the entire field by end of the first round.

Jack

J.Ramsey
07-14-2007, 11:31 PM
With friends like that who needs enemies? charge him some outrageous price and then when he never pays for it call it payment in kind so to speak.
I quit doing favors twenty years ago because they were never returned.
Family members are the worst.
Yes I realize you didn't mention it was a paying job or a freebie.

QSIMDO
07-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Well..anyone can see you've spelled it wrong.

Evan
07-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Allan,

You don't need to type in the entire thing in Google. Just a few characters that are likely unique will do.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=llanfair&btnG=Search&meta=

oldtiffie
07-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Deleted/erased-out

aostling
07-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Allan,

You don't need to type in the entire thing in Google. Just a few characters that are likely unique will do.

Evan,

Too right. I just tried it with my favorite Maori place name (the world's longest?) and it worked just as you said. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Taumata+whakatangi+&btnG=Google+Search

oldtiffie
07-15-2007, 02:06 AM
Deleted/erased-out

darryl
07-15-2007, 02:08 AM
I guess if you had a lathe with that name, it would have to be at least a 36 inch.

oldtiffie
07-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Deleted/erased-out

TECHSHOP
07-15-2007, 05:38 AM
I didn't realize your island was big enough for a sign that long! (Well, maybe, if I included half that tunnel).

Malc-Y
07-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Known as Llanfair P.G to the locals ..

Perhaps you should shorten it to please him .
or alter his engine to this one :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/dlg.gif

Been showing Steve Thomas of the practical machinist board the little Welsh trains and locos ...

Got us a tour of the Llangollen railway workshop ........very very interesting .

and a tour of the Snowdon mountain railway workshop.

and a few rides ...

plus a visit to Electric-Mountain.

He should have a lot to say ...and quite a few interesting pics when he gets back home to NY next week sometime ...so look out for his posts on the PM board..

All the best..mark

My wife and I have just had a weeks holiday staying at Porthmadog in North Wales, stayed in a very nice appartment almost next door to the Ffestiniog Railway station. We took a ride to Blaenau Ffestiniog in the observation car of the train which was hauled by one of the double Fairlie locomotives, similar to the one in Mark's post. We also had a ride on the Welsh Highland Railway from Caernarfon to Ryhd Ddu and back. The locomotive on this journey was on of the ex South African Railways class NGG16 Beyer-Garratt 2-6-2 + 2-6-2 articulated locos, the biggest and most powerful 2 foot gauge steam locomotives ever built. We also visited and rode on the Tal-y-llyn Railway, which differs from most of the Welsh narrow gauge railways in being built to a gauge of 2' 3" instead of 2'.
I can recommend to any lovers of real ale, Spooner's Bar, on the platform at Porthmadog station, :)

Malc. :cool:

John Stevenson
07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Time to fess up.

This wasn't for a friends loco but was just an engraving exercise to get samples for a forthcoming show and talk.

Trying to get as much diversified work as possible and at the moment I only have the big CNC and the CNC router here. The X3 will be coming back later this week and I want to do some reasonable complex items like a loco con rod machines on all 4 sides in one setting including tapered flutes.

Here's some of the engraving files done so far.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/re1.jpg

Royal Enfield badge reversed engraved in perspex, about 5" square photographed against the computer screen to see detail.
This will be filled with yellow paint on the back and the excess scraped away when tacky and wiped clean then the back will be sprayed matt black to give a yellow on black image but have a smooth front.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/tich.jpg

This what they really lend themselves to, loco name plates.
Most are produced by photo etching but unless you are very good at this [ read expensive ] then you get undercutting and radii in the corners.

And finally something to relace the key ring I gave away many years ago and have never seen it's replacement.

I'll do another as this was done on the last bit of strip and it wasn't secured flat but it proves the program.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/houseoflords.jpg

HTRN
07-15-2007, 12:46 PM
John, how exactly do you fill in the background? Do you spray the whole thing with paint, and then rub the face on abrasive paper to expose and polish the brass?

HTRN

John Stevenson
07-15-2007, 01:25 PM
HTRN,

Yes that's what I do but there are other ways.
The engraving trade sell a wax crayon that you rub into the cut and wipe the excess off afterwards. You can also melt childrens wax crayons into the cut and again scrape off afterwards.

Because I'm rushing this lot as usual I just blast it with a matt black rattle can, wait a few minutes and use a bit of wet and dry on the back of a file to highlight the letters.

Another way is to fill in using a paint marker pen, like a felt tip but contains actual paint, often used for marking steel bars. You can get away with virtually anything on things like the House of Lords badge as there is no area to talk of but the Tich and LlanfairPG badges need care as you have to get an even finish in the bottom to cover the tool marks and not have bits in it.
One way is to dimple the bottom after cutting to cover the tool marks, many old name badges were done like this so it's well withing keeping.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/embossed.jpg

aboard_epsilon
07-15-2007, 02:53 PM
I would have one tomorrow ...
yes, they do ,do a fantastic job

yes I'm envious at not having one ...

I cant fix it when it goes wrong ...and it will .

I cant afford to pay someone to fix it

so therefor it's a non starter with me .

which sort of pisses me off.

all the best.mark

John Stevenson
07-15-2007, 05:05 PM
I would have one tomorrow ...
yes, they do ,do a fantastic job
yes I'm envious at not having one ...
I cant fix it when it goes wrong ...and it will .

Not as true as it was only a couple of years ago, then you had to actually know more and be able to do more.
Since that time things have moved on and there is a lot of reasonably priced [ not cheap as in cheap for free ] equipment out there that a damn sight more reliable if you choose correctly.
Fortunately many have trod this path, tripped up but are prepared to share their pratt falls.

If you assemble your own systen, note assemble, not build, then you have a better understanding of how it works, what can go wrong and how to fix it.

As you know I make the X3 kit that Arc sells, it ships with all parts and a storybook that describes and shows you in pretty colour pictures where all the wires go. One guy near you bought one and assembled it and he's 84 years of age, a retired toolmaker with no electronic experiance.
Two phone calls to clear a couple of queries up and he's been cutting ever since.

I'm not saying buy a kit but the kit uses all the off the shelf parts that Arc and many more sell.

[/quote] I cant afford to pay someone to fix it
so therefor it's a non starter with me .
which sort of pisses me off.
all the best.mark[/quote]

Use reliable components, not nessesarily the cheapest and you will hardly have problems, usually by the time you do you will have learn a lot about the machine and system to make repairing it simple.
There is loads of information on various forums, all for free by the various users of those forums.

Later if I get chance tonight I'll post a quick 101 on startup CNC.