PDA

View Full Version : Wow, mechanical pictures

John Stevenson
07-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Playing today wiith the sister program to VCarve Pro called Photo VCarve.
This takes a bit map and turns it into a greyscale cutting routine for copying photo's on a CNC.

Nothing new about this process it's been around for a while, many use light and dark dots to work out the depth and when stained they show up the different depths as shades. A lot like a news print picture.

Where Photo VCarve differs is it does a continuous diagonal line and alters the depth as it goes along. These lines then run parallel to one another and from a distance again show the shades after staining.
Big difference is the dot type programs can take 8 to 10 hours to generate a picture against 1 to 2 for the Photo VCarve.

Here's a pic taken at the recent Canton show of our UK importer meeting with Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/ketan_ma.jpg

And heres the result engraved on a piece of MDF board.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/engraving.jpg

Again a bit of a rush job and I need to experiment more with settings. This is 7" x 6" and took 1 hour 34 minutes to cut.

aostling
07-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Here's a pic taken at the recent Canton show of our UK importer meeting with Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries

Sir John,

The photo lacks contrast, and is unsharp. The composition sucks. Why would you choose to photo-engrave this one?

John Stevenson
07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
What's contrast, unsharp and sucks ? :D

Simple answer by PM as not to go public on this.

IOWOLF
07-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes John. a self portrait would do much nicer.

motorworks
07-15-2007, 10:10 PM
"took 1 hour 34 minutes to cut"

John
Is there any money in this (maybe I am too blunt)
But 1:34m machine time plus programing makes me think that you need at least $75-$100 per picture, unless you are doing lots of the same?
ie one off would be time/pricey?!
let me know
eddie
PS But this V-carve program does a GREAT Job and perhaps I can see where it would work.

Your Old Dog
07-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Why would you choose to photo-engrave this one?

I know why I'd do it. Being a Philistine, I'd do it just to flatter Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries :D Maybe I'm not the only Philistine on this board!

aostling
07-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I know why I'd do it. Being a Philistine, I'd do it just to flatter Mr Ma, the head of Sieg Industries :D Maybe I'm not the only Philistine on this board!

Old Dog,

You're onto something, here.

John Stevenson
07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
Well Mr Ma must have liked his picture.
Just had a call from London Heathrow and a brand spanky new CNC mini mill has just cleared customs.

No idea what it's cost to air freight this over as opposed to sea.

Pics later when I get a carrier organised.

IOWOLF
07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
If he really liked you, he would send you a real CNC mill, or at least a big one. ;)

John Stevenson
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
If he really liked you, he would send you a real CNC mill, or at least a big one. ;)

Give me time....I'm working on it...........

Evan
07-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Is there any money in this (maybe I am too blunt)

Think headstones.

lazlo
07-18-2007, 02:19 AM
Just had a call from London Heathrow and a brand spanky new CNC mini mill has just cleared customs.

Sieg is making CNC mini-mills now? Are they for sale, or is it a prototype?

I haven't seen a Sieg factory-built CNC in the 'States...

John Stevenson
07-18-2007, 04:28 AM
You have, you just don't know it.

See here
http://www.smithy.com/product_home.php?cid=11&scid=16&pid=1006

and here

http://www.smithy.com/product_home.php?cid=11&scid=16&pid=1007

How available they are in the US I have no idea but lets say things will get interesting later this year on the home shop front.

Swarf&Sparks
07-18-2007, 08:53 AM
We even have em in Oz
http://www.syil.com.au/product_U2.php
The X3 conversion is likely my next major purchase

lazlo
07-18-2007, 10:42 AM
You have, you just don't know it.

How available they are in the US I have no idea but lets say things will get interesting later this year on the home shop front.

Wow, I didn't know that Sieg makes the Smithy machine!
Smithy has large, full-page ads in each HSM issue -- I had no idea they were Sieg machines.

Dang, if Sieg is getting into the hobby CNC market, guys like Tormach are going to disappear pretty quickly...

lazlo
07-18-2007, 10:43 AM
We even have em in Oz
http://www.syil.com.au/product_U2.php
The X3 conversion is likely my next major purchase

But Syil is a different company isn't it?

I'd love to CNC an X3 -- seems like the biggest bang for the buck.

Swarf&Sparks
07-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Syil is a seperate business AFIK, but they do a nice conversion of the Seig X3, ready to roll.

lazlo
07-18-2007, 11:14 AM

pressurerelief
08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
John,
What is Seig coming out with this year for the HSM ? Can you let the cat out of the bag? I am interested in a small CNC mill and want to know if I should wait for something new or go for it now.

Rick

dp
08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Give me time....I'm working on it...........

I'd use a laser next time - you can't have too many lasers. And it won't take 1:34 to burn the boss's pic :)

A.K. Boomer
08-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Think headstones.

I just read this and was about to say the same thing, only a one time aplication but still, never fade, and maybe even some cool types of contrast as time goes bye with different types of material for different climates and rainfall...

Alistair Hosie
08-10-2007, 01:02 PM
He never sent me a thing what's John got I haven't??? :DAlistair

John Stevenson
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Rick,
I can't comment on what is coming out as this is up to the factory.
However look at the pictures on the Smithy page to see what's closest to what I know exists and reckon on 6 to 10 months before the main US players have these.

What I have here at the moment I can't post photo's and in any case what I have is now much modified from what was sent over from China.
Just how much they follow what I have done is up to them.

They are committed and it will happen, they are not happy with certain third party machines with little or no support getting them a bad name because they are being marketed as Sieg which although the donor machine is, the conversion isn't.