PDA

View Full Version : table height ?

934belle
07-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Picked up a lenght of 1 1/2'' x3" rect tube 24' long for free to make a table for the lathe, have a good idear on what the dem's will be except for the height of the table top. It's sitting on a bench about 32" tall and seams like i'm always bending over it , which kills my back .I'm about 5 11 , and i'm thinking waist high might work out good, like 43/45" . Any idears or comments would be great thanks hugh

Tin Falcon
07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Hugh: 44 nominal height seems a bit high. My benches range from 32"to 39 ". The ways on my South Bend are at 37" I am just a little shorter than you. I would not go higher than 40" As for the back issues get some anti fatigue mat. It may be your floor that is hurting your back not the bench height. If the floor is concrete get a good mat to stand on!! IIRc the top of a vise should be just above waist height. An Idea thread a plate and weld to the end of the tubes then you can have an inch or two of adjustment. If you check the archives others have done this.
Tin

pntrbl
07-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Not knowing I was gonna mount a lathe on it someday I built my bench at 35". That puts the spindle height on my 11" Logan at just over 49". :eek: Over 4 feet! I don't bend over much. But I do keep a small foot stool nearby to get up and look down when necessary.

Chuck changes are more difficult at this kind of height also. I made an MDF block to set my chuck in approx alignment before threading it on.

Depending on the height of your lathe 35" may be good for you tho. I'd just be looking to keep the spindle less than 4 ft off the ground. Mine's a bit high.

SP

lane
07-15-2007, 09:31 PM
The center of the chuck should hit the center of your belly button.

tattoomike68
07-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Picked up a lenght of 1 1/2'' x3" rect tube 24' long for free to make a table for the lathe, have a good idear on what the dem's will be except for the height of the table top. It's sitting on a bench about 32" tall and seams like i'm always bending over it , which kills my back .I'm about 5 11 , and i'm thinking waist high might work out good, like 43/45" . Any idears or comments would be great thanks hugh

My bench is 34" high that puts the spindle center line at 46" and thats perfect for me. I am 6'3" tall. It sits 10 inches from the edge of the bench so there is a little room to place tools and I dont have to lean over far to work on it.

Rich Carlstedt
07-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Are you mounting a Vise on the bench ?
If so, the proper height is for the vise jaws to be the same height as your elbow.
This produces parallel strokes with a file or hacksaw when work is clamped.

Rich

SGW
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
A general guideline is to have the lathe carriage handwheel at the level of your elbow, so your forearm is horizontal when you're turning the handwheel.

pcarpenter
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm a bit under 6'3 and hate stooping as well, but I'd have to say its a given unless you mount the spindle up at chest height....and I don't know how safe that is. It also will not accomodate the handwheels at elbow height thing.

IMHO, except for lathes with really large swing, having the spindle up where its easily seen and the handwheels down where they belong is not really something you can have simultaneously.

I do build my other work benches higher than other folks may like though. I like my workbenches to not involve any stooping if possible.

Paul