PDA

View Full Version : odd wrenches

aostling
07-15-2007, 10:49 PM
The Jerome mining museum has this haphazard collection of wrenches and spanners (choose your term). I never really thought about collecting these before. Is this a recognized obsession?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/spanner.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/wrenchcollection.jpg

Mike Burdick
07-15-2007, 11:38 PM
Allan,

Hmmmm...I think I have most of those wrenches in my tool box.:o

A couple of years ago I met someone that collected marbles. He had just bought one on ebay for $80.00 and he was dancing with joy!

"The Jerome mining museum." Where is that?

sidegrinder
07-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I guess once you've lost your marbles, you just start collecting wrenches:)

aostling
07-16-2007, 12:06 AM
Allan,

"The Jerome mining museum." Where is that?

Mike,

It's a day's drive from your home in Utah, about an hour south of Flagstaff. Jerome was a gold, silver, and (mostly) copper mining town on the side of Mingus Mountain. The mine closed in 1953. According to my 1940 WPA Guide to Arizona

...it's frame houses a jumble on stilts. With a fifteen-hundred-foot difference in elevation between the highest and lowest perches, the town has some houses with basements reached by a climb up three flights of steps, others with roofs below the level of the streets on which they face, and yet others with garages on their roofs. Many householders can lean out of their kitchen windows and scratch matches on their neighbors chimneys.

I'm not usually one for arts and craft shops, but there is one in Jerome which is worth a pilgrimage. It is the world's largest kaleidoscope shop, with merchandise made by over 90 kaleidoscope makers (some from Australia). The kaleidoscopes start at $100, many are priced at over $1000, some as high as $2500. At first my mind was blown by looking through the hundred dollar tubes, but once you look through a thousand dollar kaleidoscope, you will not be happy with the "lesser" variety.

Shaidorsai
07-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes, collecting wrenches is a recognized obsession. You have the beginnings of a very nice collection there. Lots of these were part of the toolkits issued with wagons, farm machinery, mining equipment, etc. Just off-hand I'd say you probably have some rather nice ones there! Contact the Mid-West Tool Collector's Association (M-WTCA) and join up. They have a monthly magazine ("The Gristmill")that has an occasional major article on wrenches.

Mike Burdick
07-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Allan,

I get down that way quite often...I'll visit it!

Thanks

J Tiers
07-16-2007, 12:20 AM
But think about it......

The ONE BIGGEST WRENCH you could collect will cost as much as your entire collection.

That will be when you finally sell your prized collection...............

aostling
07-16-2007, 12:38 AM
But think about it......

The ONE BIGGEST WRENCH you could collect will cost as much as your entire collection.

Okay, I'll bite, how big do wrenches get? I think I've seen six-inch hex nuts, perhaps on bridges, but I'm not sure.

J Tiers
07-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Okay, I'll bite, how big do wrenches get? I think I've seen six-inch hex nuts, perhaps on bridges, but I'm not sure.

Why, that would be the wrench it is to finally sell all of them............... ;)

oldtiffie
07-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Deleted/erased-out

laddy
07-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I have a few wrenches which were used to take apart and adjust the old B&O steam locomotives. They are about 4 feet long and HEAVY!!!! Marked with the B&O logo on the head of the wrench. Most are single headed. Now what do you do with them???? Fred

TGTool
07-16-2007, 11:14 AM
(Very confusing actually - notice how some people pronounce "important" as "impotent"?? - maybe there's no difference at all after all).

(Irish, Welsh, Scottish ancestry - that's to blame - isn't it??)

Must have been that guy that rented a tuxedo to go in for his vasectomy. They asked, "Why did you do that?" He said, "If I'se goin to BE impotent, I'se going to LOOK impotant!"

Swarf&Sparks
07-16-2007, 11:34 AM
"six-inch hex nuts"
Yeah, and at 16 I was the dumb f*ck swinging the 14lb hammer while the fitter held the flogging spanner on a 3' lanyard
:D

IOWOLF
07-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Odd wrenches?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160136177693&rd=1&rd=1

Funny how little some people know.

BTW, they are boreing bar wrenches.