PDA

View Full Version : Input on Grizzly 6" 6 Jaw Chuck wanted

dharnell
07-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a 6" 6 jaw chuck in the near future. I noticed that Grizzly has one for a decent price, as does Shars, and was wondering if any members here had every tried one. I had a Pratt Burnerd 6 jaw once, until someone dropped it (not me), but there is no way I can afford that quality anymore. Even the Bison are beyond my means currently. thanks, Dave

pcarpenter
07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't have any personal experience, with the Grizzly chucks, but would offer this thought:

There are two varieties....a 6 jaw scroll chuck and a 6 jaw Set-Tru type. If the question is with regard to quality, I would think that within reason, even an inexpensive set-tru type can be dialed in reasonably. In other words, whether expensive or inexpensive, a chuck with intentional variability in the position of the jaws offers some inherent ability to make the chuck accurate....or not.

Now...as for the longevity of inexpensive chucks....I think, in my experience, that they loosen up sooner than a better chuck. However, treatment (not wringing it up unbelievably tight with something in the end of the jaws, for example) makes more difference than anything else.

I've got a chinese chuck that is around 7.5 inches that is still so tight that its a two hand operation to open or close the jaws.

Paul